Baby not smiling yet...

Baby not smiling yet...

April 6th, 2012, 2:45 am #1

Baby girl is 6.5 weeks old and she isn't smiling yet. She smiles in her sleep and involuntarily, but no social smiling yet. She doesn't smile when we smile at her and she doesn't smile back at us. When did your child start smiling? Also, her head measured in the 90th pctle at her 1 month check-up, while her length and weight were at 75%. I've read that a large head circumference can correlate with autism, although that seems to be more likely if the head grows rapidly. In our case DD's head has consistently measured large (hence the CSection).

When you were new parents, did you drive yourselves nuts with all of these milestones and markers?

Thanks,
LM

April 6th, 2012, 2:59 am #2

Our daughter had a large head circumference as did our milestone-meeting son. I think that it was around the 90th percentile as well. Girlie was way behind in motor skills, and showed some other signs that concerned me. After her first birthday she caught up, but the program I used may have helped. Chances are that your daughter is fine, but it's the nature of Moms to worry.

April 6th, 2012, 3:00 am #3

Baby girl is 6.5 weeks old and she isn't smiling yet. She smiles in her sleep and involuntarily, but no social smiling yet. She doesn't smile when we smile at her and she doesn't smile back at us. When did your child start smiling? Also, her head measured in the 90th pctle at her 1 month check-up, while her length and weight were at 75%. I've read that a large head circumference can correlate with autism, although that seems to be more likely if the head grows rapidly. In our case DD's head has consistently measured large (hence the CSection).

When you were new parents, did you drive yourselves nuts with all of these milestones and markers?

Thanks,
LM

we wrote we thought he was smiling. the next day we KNEW he was smiling.
it's gradual sometimes milestones are different.
For example my baby bird is almost two and has about four to five words some docs wig out, most are chill, we are chill because he has no other issues and he loves to point and have us tell him what things are. I have a instinct he will babble it all out when HE is ready.

hang in there honey, and so happy for you!!!

April 6th, 2012, 3:41 am #4

Thanks,
LM

HG smiled first, at around 3.5 mos, and then a week or two later, BA followed. I was really worried, thought they would be smiling by 2 mos. but my peds was not worried. I think they were on the later end of the normal range though.

At 6.5 weeks, mine still had a vacuous stare and didn't even look in my eyes. They loved the ceiling fan. I was convinced they were both autistic! But they aren't showing any signs of autism now. My peds said their brains don't really even turn on until around 6.5 weeks and that some believe the human infant, even at 40 weeks, is born "premature" because otherwise the head would not fit through the birth canal.

April 6th, 2012, 4:12 am #5

Thanks,
LM

My little girl is a few weeks older than yours and she really just started smiling socially a few weeks ago, maybe at 9 weeks. She had been doing what you describe as involuntary smiling (or gas, as they say). Now she is smiling in reaction. Give her a few weeks.
Today I had to go with her to PT for Torticollis. When I mentioned a few milestones that I had read about for 11 wk old, she said our girl was right on track and doing quite well. I understand how easy it is to read about milestones and worry they are not meeting them, but try not to beat yourself up : )

April 6th, 2012, 4:49 am #6

Thanks,
LM

Kids smile at all different times. I can't remember when mine smiled but I do remember that my now 15 year old was in 98th percentile. She is now tall and slim and has graduated from high school today 2 years earlier than all her friends.

April 6th, 2012, 6:39 am #7

Thanks,
LM

She'll smile soon and warm your hearts even more.

April 6th, 2012, 7:53 am #8

Thanks,
LM

Hi Magoo,
I don't think Rbert smiled for quite a while but he was a premmie so everything seemed to take ages until he reached his 'birthdate'. He also has a bigger than average head. He is a smartie I wouldn't worry about Autism. I remember a quote from Sherlock Holmes which went something like 'a man with so large a head must have something in it'. He was talking about a professor with a large head.
I think every baby is different. Try not to worry. enjoy your lovely baby, best to you Magoo :0 great to hear from you, THK

April 6th, 2012, 11:33 am #9

Thanks,
LM

is different..Our preemie (now two) started smiling at about 8-10 weeks.
I know it is hard but try to focus on the positive...

April 6th, 2012, 1:43 pm #10

Thanks,
LM

I'm a new mom too, so I fully understand! Baby J was 8 weeks premature, so he's all over the map in terms of "milestones." On some things he's way ahead of his adjusted age (perhaps just by virtue of having been "out" and in the world), but it's not consistent. I thought I saw social smiles around 13 weeks (5 weeks adjusted), but they didn't become frequent for a few weeks after that. I think all these things have a RANGE of normality. I try just to enjoy him as he is, where he is.