At what age did you give your LO peanut butter?

At what age did you give your LO peanut butter?

March 15th, 2012, 3:24 pm #1

And how did you do it? Did you do it at the doctor's office, before a doctor's appointment or just at home? Am I over thinking this?

March 15th, 2012, 3:29 pm #2

I gave each one a lil on a cracker for the first time. I did do it at home on a week day where two parents were there in case we need to call MD or run to ER and one parent could stay with the other kid. I did teh same thing then next day and did it for 5 days straight, no rash, no issues just "i want more!"

With the twins everythign was sooo delayed from being so preemie. We tried it on them at 18months. No issues. With McBaby we just tried it a month ago at 14months old. There are no allergies on the donor side or DH side. BUt my brother had TONS of allergies (beef, soy, dairy, wheat, many trees and cats) as a kids so I worry about McBaby more than McTwins.

March 15th, 2012, 3:32 pm #3

And how did you do it? Did you do it at the doctor's office, before a doctor's appointment or just at home? Am I over thinking this?

and she burst into hysterical tears. We keep an Epipen around now just in case. I do let her have M&Ms and cross contamination from peanut M&Ms has not been an issue. They use sunflower nut butter - I figure I am not letting him have something she can't - not fair.

March 15th, 2012, 5:02 pm #4

I always meant to ask my doctor but forgot every time. A little too late now and I eat lots of it. Oh gosh, I'll be mad at myself if baby boy turns out to have a big peanut allergy.

With DD we gave her peanut butter probably around 8 months or a year old. I really don't remember now as it was so long ago but we did not hold off on giving it to her. She does not have an allergy. Also, I'm sure I probably ate tons of peanut butter when I was pregnant with her.

March 15th, 2012, 5:15 pm #5

--it was one of the few things that appealed to me. Once DS was born, I asked one of the lactation consultants if it was OK to keep having peanuts and other nuts, and she said yes. I don't know if that means DS will be more or less likely to be allergic, though, and we're still a long way from solids.

March 15th, 2012, 5:44 pm #6

I always meant to ask my doctor but forgot every time. A little too late now and I eat lots of it. Oh gosh, I'll be mad at myself if baby boy turns out to have a big peanut allergy.

With DD we gave her peanut butter probably around 8 months or a year old. I really don't remember now as it was so long ago but we did not hold off on giving it to her. She does not have an allergy. Also, I'm sure I probably ate tons of peanut butter when I was pregnant with her.

also avoided any nuts while bf'ing the twins - and guess who has the food allergies? DS, who NEVER had a nut in his system until after 2yo. (And he's allergic not to peanuts which he now eats tons of, but to pistachios, which, it turns out, are in lots of stuff, too. And he's asthmatic. Go figure.) A friend of mine was told to eat tons of pb with her triplet pg, as it was hard to get enough protein and calories, and all of her kids are fine. My personal opinion is that the development of food allergies (which are so much more prevalent now than they were a couple of decades ago) has much more to do with the other stuff around us and that we put into our bodies (chemicals, preservatives, pesticides, etc), as well as air quality, etc. I'm not a fanatical organic eater, but we try when possible. Other stuff, I do what I can, and then "eh" shrug off the rest. But of course with DS now have to be vigilant about pistachios, which sucks more than I can say. Anyway, I"m sure that didn't help, but IMO nothing you ate/ didn't eat is going to cause your baby any issues (so no self-blame!) Best
Kenny

March 15th, 2012, 6:45 pm #7

Fed Bob and Fred some pad thai at about, hmmmm, 10-11 mos., not thinking about the chopped peanuts in it. I realized my mistake too late, but no harm was done, so I let them eat peanut butter after that. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

March 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm #8

DS had had RAST blood tests so we actually knew he wasn't allergic to peanuts (not with 100% certainty, but a good probability). I didn't want to make it any more complicated than I had to - i.e. wanted to have time to treat during normal office hours if there was any reaction. I did have my purse ready and diaper bag, just in case (usually it takes a while to get out of the house LOL). Remember most kids are fine with it so don't stress too badly! Hugs,
Kenny

March 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm #9

--it was one of the few things that appealed to me. Once DS was born, I asked one of the lactation consultants if it was OK to keep having peanuts and other nuts, and she said yes. I don't know if that means DS will be more or less likely to be allergic, though, and we're still a long way from solids.

Not so much peanuts or peanut butter, but sometimes.

I first gave it to DD at about 2 years but she'd had almond butter before that.

March 15th, 2012, 7:56 pm #10

I always thought it was 2, but according to my Ped, she said they are now recommending 3 years old for peanuts and peanut butter. She also told me when I do introduce pb into her diet, to do so on a day we are all home, in case something happens.