At 48 yrs. old and wanting to pursue DE..How would you define Healthy??

At 48 yrs. old and wanting to pursue DE..How would you define Healthy??

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 8th, 2011, 8:32 pm #1

I am 48 yrs. old No high blood pressure, No diabeties, No women issues (uterus checked out A okay), No Major health issues Thank Goodness! BUT I do have a high BMI and don't move as fast as I did in my younger days......

would is good health to have a baby in late forties?

thesameboat
thesameboat

November 8th, 2011, 8:38 pm #2

no diabetes or high blood pressure or at least having those issues under control. Regular check-ups show no problems.

If you can, before you cycle, try to lose just a little of the extra weight. Seriously, don't set a goal that's too high. Go for 5 lbs and then see how you'd feel about losing 10. But I wouldn't try to do any major weight loss program too close to cycling.

Walk and get a bit stronger.

Do YOU feel able to miss sleep and spend your days chasing a toddler?

Did you at 25?

Good luck to you.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 9th, 2011, 12:21 am #3

missing sleep and feedings NO Problem but chasing after a toddler yes but at a slower pace...I do have a child in his early twenties and a pre-teen daughter who would be more then willing to do the chasing and I could do the walking...

I must be honest at 25 yrs. old I was able to run... at 48 yrs. old a brisk walk is more like it.

November 9th, 2011, 2:47 am #4

I am 48 yrs. old No high blood pressure, No diabeties, No women issues (uterus checked out A okay), No Major health issues Thank Goodness! BUT I do have a high BMI and don't move as fast as I did in my younger days......

I'm 46 and my DE twins are now 2. If I were 48, I don't think I'd transfer two because I think a twin pregnancy would be rough and parenting twins is crazy. That said, I seriously don't think I'd have any more energy if I were 36, or even 26. Some of it really is, "Mind over matter", at least if you're healthy! Lots of younger women aren't very healthy and still have babies. I think if everything else checks out and you feel strong, you're good to go.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 9th, 2011, 1:32 pm #5

my age!! I don't feel 26 yrs. old...I do agree with you I will NOT be transferring no more then 1 embryo, I personally feel for myself twin pregnancy would be very difficult.

Thank you for your input.

November 9th, 2011, 3:16 pm #6

I was 48 when I had my successful DE cycle and carried and bore my twins. We actually had a discussion on this a few months back on this board. The good news is that high BMI does not seem to have a big impact on the success of DE. But high BMI is a risk factor in pregnancy. That being said, a number of women with high BMI's on this board have successfully borne DE children.

To be completely honest, though, I do feel as though not carrying a lot of extra weight was one of the factors that helped me have a healthy pregnancy (my BMI was high in the normal range). A lot of overweight women don't gain weight or only a little weight in pregnancy, though.

The one thing to bear in mind is that some clinics want a sign-off from your GP saying that they think you're healthy enough to carry a pregnancy. Even if you are otherwise healthy, your doctor may be reluctant. Now, that bothers me inasmuch as there are obese younger women giving birth all over the place, but that's a hurdle you may have to clear.

Good luck!

Maggie (in VA)

November 9th, 2011, 8:19 pm #7

no diabetes or high blood pressure or at least having those issues under control. Regular check-ups show no problems.

If you can, before you cycle, try to lose just a little of the extra weight. Seriously, don't set a goal that's too high. Go for 5 lbs and then see how you'd feel about losing 10. But I wouldn't try to do any major weight loss program too close to cycling.

Walk and get a bit stronger.

Do YOU feel able to miss sleep and spend your days chasing a toddler?

Did you at 25?

Good luck to you.
"Do YOU feel able to miss sleep and spend your days chasing a toddler?

Did you at 25?"

Or two. Maggie (in VA)

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 9th, 2011, 11:58 pm #8

I was 48 when I had my successful DE cycle and carried and bore my twins. We actually had a discussion on this a few months back on this board. The good news is that high BMI does not seem to have a big impact on the success of DE. But high BMI is a risk factor in pregnancy. That being said, a number of women with high BMI's on this board have successfully borne DE children.

To be completely honest, though, I do feel as though not carrying a lot of extra weight was one of the factors that helped me have a healthy pregnancy (my BMI was high in the normal range). A lot of overweight women don't gain weight or only a little weight in pregnancy, though.

The one thing to bear in mind is that some clinics want a sign-off from your GP saying that they think you're healthy enough to carry a pregnancy. Even if you are otherwise healthy, your doctor may be reluctant. Now, that bothers me inasmuch as there are obese younger women giving birth all over the place, but that's a hurdle you may have to clear.

Good luck!

Maggie (in VA)
he says I am okay to move ahead with DE ... I have basically been overweight my whole life High risk/obgyn is not concerned so much with my weight but more concerned about carrying twins, thinks I will be okay with a singleton pregnancy...

Dee
Dee

November 10th, 2011, 10:03 am #9

I know someone who did not get cleared for cycling. She was not overweight at all, but she has a heart condition. She is also much older than you, and she smokes cigarettes. She contacted one DE clinic and they said no. It is not always about weight, there are other issues. An overweight person can still be healthy.