Anyone use a topical cream for shots?

Anyone use a topical cream for shots?

iliaT
iliaT

July 1st, 2011, 1:41 am #1

Heard they numb the area? I have to do insulin shots twice a day(only becuase of ttc), but still cringe everytime! I read an old thread that mentioned Lmx4 & 5...anyone know about these or something else I can ask for? In the past I just did ice. I have a Dr appt soon so I guess I can inquire there too. Thanks for any advice and info

Kim
Kim

July 1st, 2011, 1:47 am #2

I ice... Works well for me! Good luck! Nt

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 1st, 2011, 2:06 am #3

Heard they numb the area? I have to do insulin shots twice a day(only becuase of ttc), but still cringe everytime! I read an old thread that mentioned Lmx4 & 5...anyone know about these or something else I can ask for? In the past I just did ice. I have a Dr appt soon so I guess I can inquire there too. Thanks for any advice and info
I used EMLA cream , works 100%. I used it only for the IM progesterone shots , not the subQ ones .

Anon7
Anon7

July 1st, 2011, 2:34 am #4

and I've done stim meds for OE cycles, and the lupron shots, etc. I cringed with each of those tiny belly shots. The night I was supposed to do PIO, I pulled out the needle to load it, and thought I was going to faint. I broke out in a cold sweat, started shaking a bit, had a rapid heart beat, and was very busy.

I had to call my clinic that very night and say NO! So, I'm on crinone & prometrium - it's WAAAYYY more expensive. A little over $1k/month for both drugs. But, I had to suck it up b/c I just couldn't do the PIO. Best of luck to you!

July 1st, 2011, 2:43 am #5

Many have used EMLA cream, but it didn't work as well as ice did for me.

pixl
pixl

July 1st, 2011, 2:47 am #6

It is rx only in the US, but OTC in Canada. I used it for all my shots, both subq and IM, which is overkill I know but it was helpful for me psychologically. You have to leave the cream on for at least an hour though, so it does require planning. The cream needs to be covered with something like glad wrap... I used Tegaderm, a first aid dressing, its the same plastic stuff they use to secure IVs to the skin. The patches are more expensive but are much more convenient. No mess, just peel the backing and stick onto the skin... these are great if you are out and about leading up to shot time. You don't feel a thing with the needle going in, not even the IM needle. But you will still feel the sting from the meds as you inject if it is one of the "stingy" ones, e.g. Menopur.

July 1st, 2011, 3:54 am #7

I use emla for my PIOs, but not for tummy shots, they just don't hurt if you jab fast and hard. And it take 40 minutes for emla to work. But to use it, you put a dab on the shot spot, circle it with a pen, put plastic saran wrap over it and wait 30-40 minutes, alcohol swab it off and shoot!

July 1st, 2011, 4:30 am #8

use ice it numbs deeper then topical

July 1st, 2011, 2:29 pm #9

This is what I do for PIO. Many ladies say you shouldn't use ice, but I like to be numb before the shot. Use of heat afterwards helps. Also, rubbing the spot helps to prevent any lumps, there is nothing worse than painful lumps on your behind! Good luck.

Kim
Kim

July 2nd, 2011, 11:12 am #10

EXACTLY what I do! Works wonders!!!! :) nt