Anyone out there use a balance bike for their LOs? (X-post)

Anyone out there use a balance bike for their LOs? (X-post)

November 13th, 2014, 4:42 pm #1

I know this board isn't as active as it used to be. There used to be moms of toddlers and older who still posted. And there were some great posts and discussions about balance bikes. Particular brands, what age to start one at, etc. THis was a few years back, when I could only dream about having such a first world problem. And now, I'm finally here! I can't seem to find those posts/threads. Hopefully there are still some moms out there that used balance bikes that can give me some feedback. And maybe someone who is better at searching these boards that can find these threads.

My son is 2 1/2 and I am thinking of asking for grandma and grandpa to get him a balance bike for Hannukah. I am thinking this is the better route to go, instead of a tricycle. I'd love some input from some mommies that have been there. TIA.

And like I said, I am over the moon thrilled that I am having such a first world problem like this right now! How lucky am I????
Last edited by margolis on November 13th, 2014, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 13th, 2014, 5:59 pm #2

We have one and my almost 2-yr old loves it! There are so many great brands out there, but we chose Wishbone http://www.wishbonedesign.com/#!/products/bike/details/) because we wanted him to start using it early. It converts from 3 wheels to 2 as they get older and more confident. He started using it around 18 months in its tricycle form and we'll probably convert it to the bicycle form in the next 4-5 months once he's a bit taller.

Seriously, it's changed our afternoon/evening walks entirely. No more stroller or wagon; now all he wants is to ride his bike. He will very happily go for a 30 minute ride around the neighborhood... it's awesome!

November 13th, 2014, 6:05 pm #3

I know this board isn't as active as it used to be. There used to be moms of toddlers and older who still posted. And there were some great posts and discussions about balance bikes. Particular brands, what age to start one at, etc. THis was a few years back, when I could only dream about having such a first world problem. And now, I'm finally here! I can't seem to find those posts/threads. Hopefully there are still some moms out there that used balance bikes that can give me some feedback. And maybe someone who is better at searching these boards that can find these threads.

My son is 2 1/2 and I am thinking of asking for grandma and grandpa to get him a balance bike for Hannukah. I am thinking this is the better route to go, instead of a tricycle. I'd love some input from some mommies that have been there. TIA.

And like I said, I am over the moon thrilled that I am having such a first world problem like this right now! How lucky am I????
The advantage of this model is that it is lightweight. Now, everyone doesn't see that as an advantage, but I've carried both of those bad boys for a mile and a half when we went on a hike and the terrain got too rough for bikes. Also, the lighter weight helps the kiddo dominate the bike, which is important. It is also inexpensive. Honestly, with the confidence they got from the Glide bikes, I could have started my boys on pedal bikes at three if my DH and I had gotten on the stick sooner. I was also a little bit afraid of giving them the mobility of pedal bikes so early.

http://www.amazon.com/Glide-Bikes-MG-12 ... glide+bike

Maggie (in VA)

November 13th, 2014, 6:21 pm #4

My son is already 2 1/2. Did I miss the boat already on the balance bike? Or is there still time for it? I will look into both of those bikes. I've also heard something about Kazaam or Kazoom or something like that. Have either of you heard of this brand?

November 13th, 2014, 7:13 pm #5

Balance bikes are truly the most amazing invention. My daughter did start on hers at about 18 months, but I think at any age it's the best way to get them the balance they'll need to ride a pedal bike. Much better than giving them training wheels. She had a Strider and it was great. She got so good on it that she was able to start riding her pedal bike about a month before she turned three! We never even bothered to put the training wheels on. She had such great balance from the Strider that she just took off. Learning to brake was another story...

November 13th, 2014, 8:52 pm #6

We just took the pedals off a cheapie bike but if they have money to spend there are some great ones. Mr. M took to it right away, and Mr. A (the cautious one) took a year longer. It really did help Mr. M with the transition to a big boy bike and now Mr. A rides the balance bike.

November 14th, 2014, 3:04 am #7

Hi Margolis! So glad you are having a problem like this! We got DS a Strider Balance Bike (because it goes very low and we could buy it locally)when he was 18 months. He walked with it until he was about 2 1/2, then starting coasting with it. We took him to skate parks and he had a blast and got very good very quickly at it. At just under 3.5 years of age he started riding a pedal bike with no training wheels. We had bought him one at a garage sale and left it in the garage for whenever... One day DH was mowing the lawn and looked up and DS was riding his pedal bike with no training wheels. We never even taught him to ride. He rides the pedal bike with no training wheels like he was born riding a bike. He still uses his Strider for the skate park, on dirt paths, in the snow, etc...so I don't think it is too late. They are very sturdy and kids can use them even after they are riding regular bikes.

November 14th, 2014, 3:35 am #8

Does the strider bike adjust for height etc so that it "grows" with him?

And thanks. I love hearing stories about your ds.

November 14th, 2014, 3:39 am #9

Balance bikes are truly the most amazing invention. My daughter did start on hers at about 18 months, but I think at any age it's the best way to get them the balance they'll need to ride a pedal bike. Much better than giving them training wheels. She had a Strider and it was great. She got so good on it that she was able to start riding her pedal bike about a month before she turned three! We never even bothered to put the training wheels on. She had such great balance from the Strider that she just took off. Learning to brake was another story...
I will definitely look into the strider as well. I didn't think about the teaching them to brake. But an important lesson, huh?

November 14th, 2014, 3:41 am #10

We just took the pedals off a cheapie bike but if they have money to spend there are some great ones. Mr. M took to it right away, and Mr. A (the cautious one) took a year longer. It really did help Mr. M with the transition to a big boy bike and now Mr. A rides the balance bike.
That's a good option if I were having to pay for it. Fortunately my parents are happy to buy them the new bike and it's not a problem for them.