Anyone need Progesterone to Re-start cycle after mock cycle?

Anyone need Progesterone to Re-start cycle after mock cycle?

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

February 12th, 2012, 10:29 pm #1

Hi,

I'm asking because I did a mock cycle with estrace from cd 2-8 this cycle by taking three estrace pills a day. It's CD 17 and I have yet to ovulate which is not normal for me. I have just read that some people need progesterone to re-start their cycle after a mock cycle yet my clinic did not give me any instructions to take progesterone. Has anyone needed to take progesterone to start their cycle again after a mock cycle? Thanks.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 13th, 2012, 3:28 am #2

I thought a mock cycle involved taking estrogen (like Estrace, patches, or injections) for a couple of weeks to see how the lining builds up (and the estrogen usually suppresses ovulation). Then once clinic is happy with the lining they give a progesterone to shed.

The dose of Estrace you were on would likely suppress ovulation, are you being monitored?

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

February 13th, 2012, 5:29 am #3

No....I'm not being monitored and now I'm concerned. They had me take the estrace for 7 days starting CD 2, have an u/s to check my lining on CD 8 which was fine and simply told me that I was good to go and to call when I got my next AF!! This is a mock cycle for CNY and now I'm finding out that some there have had delayed cycles because they do their mock without progesterone and only got their period when THEY asked for progesterone. URGH!!! Do you think I should call them or ask for progesterone? Is it possible I will still ovulate on my own?

February 13th, 2012, 9:05 am #4

I thought a mock cycle involved taking estrogen (like Estrace, patches, or injections) for a couple of weeks to see how the lining builds up (and the estrogen usually suppresses ovulation). Then once clinic is happy with the lining they give a progesterone to shed.

The dose of Estrace you were on would likely suppress ovulation, are you being monitored?
Is exactly what my RE does. I suppose without taking the progesterone, your cycle will eventually regulate itself, but taking progesterone would have caused the lining to shed about 3 days after starting it.

On the other hand, I always felt kind of strange knowing I was taking all of those meds (you have to keep taking the estradiol together with the progesterone for up to 2 weeks) knowing that it wasn't doing anything necessary for my body.

February 13th, 2012, 2:20 pm #5

Hi,

I'm asking because I did a mock cycle with estrace from cd 2-8 this cycle by taking three estrace pills a day. It's CD 17 and I have yet to ovulate which is not normal for me. I have just read that some people need progesterone to re-start their cycle after a mock cycle yet my clinic did not give me any instructions to take progesterone. Has anyone needed to take progesterone to start their cycle again after a mock cycle? Thanks.
I had to take provera to get a period after the mock. (You aren't supposed to ovulate during the mock cycle that's why you need the progesterone).

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

February 13th, 2012, 5:06 pm #6

Thank you...I'm so pissed off right now. They sent me on my way and told me to call when I get my next period. Do you think its okay for me to start taking progesterone on my own? If so...any ideas when I should start to take it.

February 13th, 2012, 5:24 pm #7

I know some people get their period on their own. My Re had me wait (I think 7 days) and then take provera when it did not arrive. It still took me another 7 days after provera to get it.

My attitude with REs at this point is to tell them what I want to do rather than "ask" them. Often times the nurses are working off of a wrote script and don't really think about the big picture or other possible approaches.

Good luck!

February 13th, 2012, 7:22 pm #8

Thank you...I'm so pissed off right now. They sent me on my way and told me to call when I get my next period. Do you think its okay for me to start taking progesterone on my own? If so...any ideas when I should start to take it.
I took 10-days worth of progesterone after my mock cycle ended and STILL didn't start bleeding for another 3 days after stopping the progesterone. If you consider the body's natural cycle, though, that's about right... The lining should be very thick around the time you'd naturally ovulate (when estrogen is high, so when you had your ultrasound to evaluate the lining) and then once estrogen drops off, you get a progesterone surge, which is what causes the lining to shed about 10 days later.

I suppose if your body is producing enough progesterone on it's own, you will eventually start bleeding. However, since my body does absolutely nothing correctly and certainly doesn't produce any hormones, the progesterone was necessary with me.

I'd call. But FWIW, I took 10mg of Provera for 10 days.

Good luck!
Leigh

February 13th, 2012, 7:54 pm #9

I read something about this helping to bring on a period. It might be worth trying.

minniet
minniet

February 13th, 2012, 8:30 pm #10

I had to take provera to get a period after the mock. (You aren't supposed to ovulate during the mock cycle that's why you need the progesterone).
I recently had a cycle delayed. It's too complicated to go into here, but I can tell you, I was emailing and calling everyday. We finally figured out the problem and plan to cycle this coming month...but no one cares as much as you!