Anybody use California Conceptions for donated embryos?

Anybody use California Conceptions for donated embryos?

April 2nd, 2012, 8:35 pm #1

Hi, I'm new here. I am looking for anyone willing to share their experiences with California Conceptions in Davis, California. I signed up for their embryo donation program last week, but I need to lose 60 pounds before I can officially begin the program. In the meantime, I am doing more research to make sure this is the right program for me before I shell out the required $10,000. So far, I have read nothing but rave reviews. Their success rates seem to be awesome! Anybody here have any experiences with this program?

Thanks!
Jackie

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 2nd, 2012, 8:52 pm #2

You will get many view points on this option so be prepared. I think it is a great option especially for single gals.. On another site I read they were not that strict on their BMI requirment..

April 2nd, 2012, 9:04 pm #3

Hi, I'm new here. I am looking for anyone willing to share their experiences with California Conceptions in Davis, California. I signed up for their embryo donation program last week, but I need to lose 60 pounds before I can officially begin the program. In the meantime, I am doing more research to make sure this is the right program for me before I shell out the required $10,000. So far, I have read nothing but rave reviews. Their success rates seem to be awesome! Anybody here have any experiences with this program?

Thanks!
Jackie
The reason Anonymous started out her response as she did is that CC isn't really doing donor embryo, to my understanding. They are doing split DE+DS freeze-all cycles. Now, I don't have a problem with that as long as it's appropriately labeled, but it's not "donor embryo." Some other ladies here feel that practice crosses the line, especially as the recipients don't retain control over any excess embryos. That's why their success rates would be awesome (if they are, as you say); they have high control over the donors. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

April 2nd, 2012, 9:25 pm #4

Thanks for the information. Since posting my initial post, I have started reading some of the more controversial threads about this program. I agree that this isn't an embryo donation program in the typical sense. They are creating embryos using donated eggs and sperm. I don't have a problem with it ethically, but I do understand why some would. I would have a problem if they were charging an outrageous fee for this service and making a huge profit, but the $9,800 fee they are charging for up to 3 cycles is in line (on a per cycle basis) with what other clinics are charging for embryo donation and it is way cheaper than is typically charged for donated eggs. To me it is more like a hybrid egg donation/embryo donation program in that I will be getting the high success rates of egg donation with the much lower cost of embryo donation. That is actually what attracted me to the program.

As it was explained to me at my consultation last week, the egg donors are first matched with up to 3 waiting families. Once the matches are made, the eggs are fertilized with donated sperm and the resulting embryos are used for those 3 families (2 embryos each). The embryos are not created and then stockpiled somewhere for future use. They are all already earmarked for specific families at they time they are created. Since I live local, I could choose between fresh or frozen transfers. Of course, fresh transfers would require that my cycle be synched up with the egg donor's. For those not living local, the embryos are usually frozen because of the timing difficulties when travel is involved.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 2nd, 2012, 11:04 pm #5

You live local sounds like you found your program even if you do not meet refund condition you can still use this option good luck..

April 3rd, 2012, 5:20 pm #6

Thanks for the information. Since posting my initial post, I have started reading some of the more controversial threads about this program. I agree that this isn't an embryo donation program in the typical sense. They are creating embryos using donated eggs and sperm. I don't have a problem with it ethically, but I do understand why some would. I would have a problem if they were charging an outrageous fee for this service and making a huge profit, but the $9,800 fee they are charging for up to 3 cycles is in line (on a per cycle basis) with what other clinics are charging for embryo donation and it is way cheaper than is typically charged for donated eggs. To me it is more like a hybrid egg donation/embryo donation program in that I will be getting the high success rates of egg donation with the much lower cost of embryo donation. That is actually what attracted me to the program.

As it was explained to me at my consultation last week, the egg donors are first matched with up to 3 waiting families. Once the matches are made, the eggs are fertilized with donated sperm and the resulting embryos are used for those 3 families (2 embryos each). The embryos are not created and then stockpiled somewhere for future use. They are all already earmarked for specific families at they time they are created. Since I live local, I could choose between fresh or frozen transfers. Of course, fresh transfers would require that my cycle be synched up with the egg donor's. For those not living local, the embryos are usually frozen because of the timing difficulties when travel is involved.
Then I understand how that could be a really attractive option. You could potentially be doing 3 fresh tx's for about what I paid for one overseas cycle (although I hope you just get pg on round one). And they're guaranteeing you 2 blasts per cycle? As I said, I don't have a problem with what they're doing (except for retaining control of the extra embies), just their labeling. And while admit that I have a hard time getting as viscerally disturbed by embryo banking (à la now-defunct Abraham Center) as the ART watch dogs, I do appreciate the distinction. Take care, Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on April 3rd, 2012, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piper
Piper

April 4th, 2012, 12:10 pm #7

I would really love for us to talk some day! I think you would be such a good advocate. Do you have an email where I could give you my contact info?

October 29th, 2013, 2:17 am #8

You will get many view points on this option so be prepared. I think it is a great option especially for single gals.. On another site I read they were not that strict on their BMI requirment..
Hi there would you pls tell me where this clinic is where they don't ask for BMI? Thx