Any experience using Wellbutrin for sex drive?

Any experience using Wellbutrin for sex drive?

February 12th, 2012, 4:37 pm #1

My nurse practitioner said we could try that, as I'm already on Prozac. I know the Prozac isn't affecting the drive as I have been on it a long time and had a great sex drive. She is in favor of me working with my naturopath first, but said we could try adding the Wellbutrin and that it couldn't hurt. I haven't researched it at all yet. My naturopath tested my hormones and testosterone levels are good, but I'm a bit estrogen dominant. But I don't get that piece, as my girlfriends who are estrogen dominant seem to be horny all the time (they are close to my age but don't have kids). Thanks!

February 12th, 2012, 5:08 pm #2

I don't want to scare you but watch out for strange symptoms. I took it because I was depressed, overwhelmed, and hoping it would also help me lose weight. After about a week on it, I started having an obsession with suicide. I would lay down with my dd at night to put her to sleep and start plotting how I was going to kill both of us, what would be the easiest way, etc. At the time it just seemed like the most natural and best thing to do! I have another friend who took it who also had crazy, irrational moods on it. Everyone reacts differently to stuff -- I just want you to be on the lookout.

February 12th, 2012, 7:00 pm #3

My nurse practitioner said we could try that, as I'm already on Prozac. I know the Prozac isn't affecting the drive as I have been on it a long time and had a great sex drive. She is in favor of me working with my naturopath first, but said we could try adding the Wellbutrin and that it couldn't hurt. I haven't researched it at all yet. My naturopath tested my hormones and testosterone levels are good, but I'm a bit estrogen dominant. But I don't get that piece, as my girlfriends who are estrogen dominant seem to be horny all the time (they are close to my age but don't have kids). Thanks!
But to help with the highs and lows of life due to stress....not for sex drive. I didn't know they prescribed it just for sex drive. I do know that I haven't had any sexual side effects (like I did with Zoloft) and have been very happy with it. If you are dealing with any depression, that can affect sex drive of course too.

Like with any medication, not all medications work for everyone so it can be a trial error.

(Thankfully, I haven't had an issue with low sex drive.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me: 33 y/o Him: 43 - He had affairs, now divorced and he's 9 hrs away.

TTC'd 4 yrs - POF'er at 22 y/o, with 1st DE cycle in April '08. TWINS! Embies frozen on day 6: 4 grade two & 2 grade three blasts. Now what am going to do with them?!

Healthy BOY and GIRL were born in Nov 2008! 100% custody since Jan 2010.

Last edited by Miracle_Wanted on February 12th, 2012, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 12th, 2012, 7:06 pm #4

I was prescribed WB back in 2009, but didn't stay on it long. I've just recently started taking it again, but I'm not too sure if I'm on the right dosage. Back then I took 1 - 150 mg for 10 days and then started taking 2 pills a day, but 2 pills was too much. I have a higher tolerance for medications now though and I'm not sure 1 pills is really helping, but it's only been about 2 weeks. I had a great day on Thurs, Fri and Sat, but today, not so good! Just curious! Thanks!

February 12th, 2012, 7:07 pm #5

But like MW, I take it for depression and anxiety. I lost my sex drive after my first pregnancy.

February 12th, 2012, 7:36 pm #6

It's totally gone. I mean totally. Ever since birth of first child. If I never had sex again I think that would be fine for me. If I were single, I wouldn't even be considering taking meds for this, but obviously I have to do something because of DH.

February 12th, 2012, 9:51 pm #7

I was prescribed WB back in 2009, but didn't stay on it long. I've just recently started taking it again, but I'm not too sure if I'm on the right dosage. Back then I took 1 - 150 mg for 10 days and then started taking 2 pills a day, but 2 pills was too much. I have a higher tolerance for medications now though and I'm not sure 1 pills is really helping, but it's only been about 2 weeks. I had a great day on Thurs, Fri and Sat, but today, not so good! Just curious! Thanks!

I'm on 300mgs/day (so two pills/day). It can take 4-6 weeks to see results so give it more time. Or, if you think you can try 300ms/day then maybe start on that and then give it some time if you're tolerating it. I think 300mgs/day is the standard dose.

Sorry you've had a tough day.

((hugs))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me: 33 y/o Him: 43 - He had affairs, now divorced and he's 9 hrs away.

TTC'd 4 yrs - POF'er at 22 y/o, with 1st DE cycle in April '08. TWINS! Embies frozen on day 6: 4 grade two & 2 grade three blasts. Now what am going to do with them?!

Healthy BOY and GIRL were born in Nov 2008! 100% custody since Jan 2010.

February 12th, 2012, 11:37 pm #8

It has been found to stimulate the sex drive in people but it actually does not work that way for everyone. Does your NP plan to take you off the other drug (which actually can decrease the sex drive)?
Good luck...hope you find some help for this.

February 13th, 2012, 12:32 am #9

I think my problem is: unhappy/contentious marriage, kids all over me all day and night and I don't want anyone else touching me, exhaustion, middle age hormone issues, very thin cervix which makes sex (even with a bottle of lube) painful. I don't know that there's anything that can help with that. I've never had problems with low libido on Prozac. I think it's age, kids, relationship. But to be honest, I'm looking for a somewhat quick fix because I do think DH will at least be nicer to me if he's having sex and then maybe this marriage stands a chance. But as it is, sex is painful every single time, no matter what is used. Kinda makes me want to join a monastery.

February 13th, 2012, 1:58 am #10

nt
Last edited by BabsA on March 3rd, 2012, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.