antidepressants

antidepressants

anon for this
anon for this

November 4th, 2011, 5:40 pm #1

I was doing some research and saw that lexapro helps with blood flow. I have seen some ads about birth defects while on antidepressants. What is the general feeling about this? Is this just overblown? I would take it only for the cycle - I think it would also help me with feelings of anxiety as well. I just find that I get so stressed during the 2ww that I get angry, upset, stressed, etc. I yell at my family, and lash out at them. Not sure why - could it be the hormones? I think I need something that will not only help with blood flow but also help with my stressed out feelings during this time. Can you take it during the cycle to help with lining issues as well? I saw Dr. Beer suggests it, but not sure how accurate it is, as I asked on his message board and hardly anyone was taking it for lining issues.

demomone
demomone

November 4th, 2011, 7:47 pm #2

I actually am one of those Moms who did take an antidepressant during my pregnancy. There were no significant studies done at the time to show any worries. Now the recent research is showing some children with heart defects when using an SSRI and SSNR..my child was born with a heart defect (now repaired). If I had to do it again (for depression), I would have opted for two times a week in therapy and light treatment. I do not have major depression, just mild depression. I would only use it now, if I had major depression and had no other choice other than ECT or drugs.

anon
anon

November 4th, 2011, 8:45 pm #3

I also worry, and would feel so guilty if I did anything to affect the child. I will look at alternative ways. I don't know if light therapy works for those that don't have SAD. I can always try it however. I do know that in my past two 2WW my moods were all over the place. I was angry, upset, yelling. I knew I was in the 2WW yet it was almost as if I couldn't control it. I think it was the hormones, but still .. I should know better. I do also feel at times depressed, just not happy about my life even though I know I am fortunate to have the things I do have. It is mild, I think. That is why I thought I should try low dose of antidepressants, thinking it would take the edge off during the 2ww, and in general make it easier for me at other times.

November 4th, 2011, 9:32 pm #4

Have you been tested for Vitamin D deficiency? Many Many (Most) women are deficient and vitamin D is a hormone actually and be impacted/influence other hormones. Other hormones like Insulin and Thyroid can also be out of wack. Request your RE to do a subclinical work-up on a COMPLETE hormone panel- not just the reproductive ones. You may be surprised at what she finds.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

November 4th, 2011, 9:56 pm #5

I was doing some research and saw that lexapro helps with blood flow. I have seen some ads about birth defects while on antidepressants. What is the general feeling about this? Is this just overblown? I would take it only for the cycle - I think it would also help me with feelings of anxiety as well. I just find that I get so stressed during the 2ww that I get angry, upset, stressed, etc. I yell at my family, and lash out at them. Not sure why - could it be the hormones? I think I need something that will not only help with blood flow but also help with my stressed out feelings during this time. Can you take it during the cycle to help with lining issues as well? I saw Dr. Beer suggests it, but not sure how accurate it is, as I asked on his message board and hardly anyone was taking it for lining issues.
However in July there was a study showing a two time increase in ASD (autism spectrum disorders) in women that took them three months prior to conceiving and a three fold incidence when taken during the first trimester. I spoke with my ob/gyn and stopped taking it the end of July. There is no doubt that this battle is harder without vitamin P on board but for me it is not worth the risk. I will try to find the study and post the link. I'm working with a counselor and using other non-pharmagological techniques to try to manage the symptoms.

November 4th, 2011, 10:21 pm #6

Have you been tested for Vitamin D deficiency? Many Many (Most) women are deficient and vitamin D is a hormone actually and be impacted/influence other hormones. Other hormones like Insulin and Thyroid can also be out of wack. Request your RE to do a subclinical work-up on a COMPLETE hormone panel- not just the reproductive ones. You may be surprised at what she finds.
can severely affect ability to get and stay pregnant. Well worth having a full blood work up before cycling...

Best,
Daisy
xx

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

November 4th, 2011, 11:16 pm #7

http://www.womensmentalhealth.org/posts ... and-ssris/

Erin
Erin

November 4th, 2011, 11:54 pm #8

I have to point out that that study only included 20 women that were taking SSRIs. That is really not enough to conclude anything. So many things have been blamed for autism at this point, and I think it's just really, really hard to sort out a causal link to any one thing. What is proven is that SSRIs can make a HUGE difference for people who need it, plus there are plenty of studies that mention the detrimental effect that being depressed can have on a fetus. Depression is an illness (like infertility...) and we shouldn't be ashamed to take medication for it. I believe you also posted on the "new high fsh" forum, and your symptoms sound really difficult. I don't think I would take it for lining issues (as I haven't really heard of that being proven to work either) but for true depression symptoms, (together with therapy,) I think meds can be really important treatment. In my experience, vitamin D may help with energy and general wellness, but I wouldn't use it for the symptoms you described in your other post. In any case, I understand how you got to feeling as low as you do, but I also think there's a way out. I hope you're able to find a way to feeling better soon.

Dee.S
Dee.S

November 5th, 2011, 4:51 pm #9

I wouldn't do it. We work too hard to get pregnant and want a child so bad, we should keep the optimum environment for a safe healthy pregnancy. There are natural remedies out there like the Raspberry "Leaf" tea that builds the lining, and pineapple that helps the embroyo nestle in to your lining. I drank the tea up to 1 week before transfer and ate the pineapple during the weeks before and the 2 ww, in addition to extra protein, like chicken and eggs. You want no regrets especially if you know of potential side effects of these drugs. After I was pregnant I was put on a baby aspirin a day for part of the 1st trimester. I say don't put anything in your mouth you would not put into the mouth of your baby, unless it was life saving for youself like diabetes meds or blood pressure meds. As far as the anxiety the best natural mood stabilizer is a walk in the fresh air and some talk therapy, when walking listen to some of your favorite upbeat music. You be surprised how that music stays with you for the rest of the day.

anon
anon

November 5th, 2011, 7:12 pm #10

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/conten ... .2011.73v1