another blow, my stupid insurance company

another blow, my stupid insurance company

April 27th, 2012, 3:59 pm #1

United Healthcare changed there policy now it looks like anyone over 44 does not qualify for infertility anything.
just got my bill for my first monitoring that was $35 now its $500.

DH and i had a huge near fight, he was like "this is going to make us broke" he has never been too keen on baby bird two. He is happy with our son.

They ammended the policy in 2011. Jerks. I am so down. I am near giving up.

April 27th, 2012, 4:32 pm #2

I'm so sorry birdy. So many roadblocks, I feel your pain. I'm sending you a hug. So glad all is well with your health.

xo

April 27th, 2012, 6:01 pm #3

United Healthcare changed there policy now it looks like anyone over 44 does not qualify for infertility anything.

DH and i had a huge near fight, he was like "this is going to make us broke" he has never been too keen on baby bird two. He is happy with our son.

Can you ask, Birdy, to speak with a patient advocate at UHC? I know someone a few years ago who had tremendous success with having coverage using their in-house advocate. Also, I wonder if there can be a grandfathering aspect to a pursuit of coverage.

Is this a company-wide policy, or just your individual policy change?

My UHC coverage through my old company only covered up to age 41 or 42--I can't recall exactly. I was outside of that and even so, they did cover about $4,000. I was quite shocked that they did this for me.

Good luck.

April 27th, 2012, 7:13 pm #4

Ask if your provider allows for a direct pay discount or a discount for paying it all at once. When it became apparent that I would be responsible for about $10K of the kids' hospital bills due as my husband could not put them on his insurance as he denied paternity, a woman I was interviewing for a night help position suggested I inquire about direct pay discounts. So I did so with all the bills, and one was discounted 50% for direct pay. Others were 20% and higher. I had read about that in financial columns in the paper, but in my post-partum fog, it hadn't even occurred to me. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

April 27th, 2012, 8:18 pm #5

I know how expensive it all is, since I have not had any IF coverage at all. Sometimes, if you ask and tell the monitoring clinic that you are self pay, they will work with you and give you a discount. So maybe that will help.

You know, it is hard enough being jacked up with all of the hormones, let alone having crap like this thrown at you, as well as your having to deal with all of that stress and trauma of the cyst.

April 27th, 2012, 8:24 pm #6

I've never had fertility coverage. Phil used to say we could've bought another boat with the money we've used on ivf. But it's worth it. I've always found a way to pay it.

But I agree, it's worth a try to appeal and see what happens. If it doesn't and you decide to try again, is there a clinic you like nearby so you wouldn't have the travel expense and that of 2 clinics?

April 28th, 2012, 8:27 pm #7

Many of us sought cheaper options outside the USA. Less than a third the cost of a DE cycle here. Just ask if you want more info.

Maya

April 29th, 2012, 3:17 pm #8

on a teacher's salary. There are several things you can do. You can have a local doctor write a script for BW and US's and code them with 626.4 (menstrual irregularity) and it should be covered, at least it was my Blue Cross. At this point in your life, you probably are dealing with irregularity. You can also shop around. If there is a local fertility clinic, they often offer packages for cycle BW and US's. The next option is to find a OB/Gyn that has an US machine in their office and charges a minimal amount for cash pay. I was able to find one doctor that did US's for $60, when he went up to $250, I found another that did them for $100. The other option would be to fly to your clinic during the cycle and have the BW and US's done there, as it is probably already included in the cost of your FET.

April 30th, 2012, 5:02 am #9

I never had one cent covered by any of them in all my ttcing -- not ONE! I took great pleasure in sticking to them when I finally got preg and got to actually USE my insurance for the first time in the 8 years I'd had it.

Finances are certainly a barrier to all this -- we spent our entire savings, ira, maxed out credit cards, etc., to get our son. Would do it all over again, though, to get our little man. Even at my age, if we had that money back, or even half of it, I don't think I'd hesitate to try for #2 but...no way in our current circs.

I'm so sorry there is this on top of everything eles for you. It's something you and your dh need to come to some sort of agreement on. I hope you can come together on a decision. It should not be this way.

GL,

sas

April 30th, 2012, 2:58 pm #10

on a teacher's salary. There are several things you can do. You can have a local doctor write a script for BW and US's and code them with 626.4 (menstrual irregularity) and it should be covered, at least it was my Blue Cross. At this point in your life, you probably are dealing with irregularity. You can also shop around. If there is a local fertility clinic, they often offer packages for cycle BW and US's. The next option is to find a OB/Gyn that has an US machine in their office and charges a minimal amount for cash pay. I was able to find one doctor that did US's for $60, when he went up to $250, I found another that did them for $100. The other option would be to fly to your clinic during the cycle and have the BW and US's done there, as it is probably already included in the cost of your FET.
The U.S. clinics where I had my saline hysterosonograms and operative hysteroscopy coded them as general gynecological procedures, and that was justified by my symptoms and history at the time. Maggie (in VA)