AF description after failed DE cycle. Clots, probably TMI

AF description after failed DE cycle. Clots, probably TMI

June 15th, 2011, 3:22 pm #1

Hi everyone.

As you know I recently had a failed DE cycle. AF showed up some days back and on the second day I noticed when I went to toilet a large clot on pad. I am used to seeing smaller jelly like dark clots in AF but this was different consistency, stiff and sinewy, and about double the size of a large coin. I may not have noticed if it hadn't been stuck on the pad like that. Now I can't stop thinking that maybe it was an embryo that had developed but not made it through to pregnancy. Do you think that could be the case? Or is it normal to see a clot like that perhaps after so much medication? Any input would be helpful. Sorry if description is a bit TMI.

Aoife

Malory
Malory

June 15th, 2011, 3:49 pm #2

Interested in hearing what others say. A dear friend thinks she had a chemical last month and described AF the exact same way....

June 15th, 2011, 4:10 pm #3

Hi everyone.

As you know I recently had a failed DE cycle. AF showed up some days back and on the second day I noticed when I went to toilet a large clot on pad. I am used to seeing smaller jelly like dark clots in AF but this was different consistency, stiff and sinewy, and about double the size of a large coin. I may not have noticed if it hadn't been stuck on the pad like that. Now I can't stop thinking that maybe it was an embryo that had developed but not made it through to pregnancy. Do you think that could be the case? Or is it normal to see a clot like that perhaps after so much medication? Any input would be helpful. Sorry if description is a bit TMI.

Aoife
I'm so sorry. Aoife...I hope you are being gentle with yourself.

Havig been through various medicated OE/DE cycles with different clinics, I have noticed a difference in how AF reacts to each new protocol. In the prep cycle leading up to my current DE cycle, I think the Lupron delayed AF by so much that the lining must have been especially thick. And, for whatever reason, AF was significantly more clotty and bright red than usual. The clots you saw may very well have been from the super boosted lining we develope thanks to all of the drugs.

By comparison, I had a chemical (through natural conception) some time ago, and AF was a tad more clotty than usual, but still - nothing like last month's medicated cycle.

I hope that information is helpful. Be well and take care of yourself.

June 15th, 2011, 4:43 pm #4

Hi everyone.

Aoife
lining has been artificially built up and maintained via progesterone. Only when stopping this do you get a bleed which is not a normal period.

Fetal tissue is white or grey in appearance and what you describe does not sound like this. Also, any embryo at your stage of development would be not much bigger than a sesame seed, so I don't think you would be able to see it??

Did you do a beta hcg test after last cycle??

Daisy
xxxx

June 15th, 2011, 9:06 pm #5

I'm so sorry. Aoife...I hope you are being gentle with yourself.

Havig been through various medicated OE/DE cycles with different clinics, I have noticed a difference in how AF reacts to each new protocol. In the prep cycle leading up to my current DE cycle, I think the Lupron delayed AF by so much that the lining must have been especially thick. And, for whatever reason, AF was significantly more clotty and bright red than usual. The clots you saw may very well have been from the super boosted lining we develope thanks to all of the drugs.

By comparison, I had a chemical (through natural conception) some time ago, and AF was a tad more clotty than usual, but still - nothing like last month's medicated cycle.

I hope that information is helpful. Be well and take care of yourself.
I have done one FET cycle before but I don't recall being medicated for quite so long as it seemed this last DE cycle. I seemed to be preparing for the transfer for ever and then my test date was 16 days after a 5 day transfer. I'm sure that really must be a record breaker for an ivf beta test

So it's very probable I guess, and most likely, that it was just all the meds like you say.

Thanks for responding Lady Magoo.

June 15th, 2011, 9:13 pm #6

lining has been artificially built up and maintained via progesterone. Only when stopping this do you get a bleed which is not a normal period.

Fetal tissue is white or grey in appearance and what you describe does not sound like this. Also, any embryo at your stage of development would be not much bigger than a sesame seed, so I don't think you would be able to see it??

Did you do a beta hcg test after last cycle??

Daisy
xxxx
It was way too big and although there was a tiny bit of white, it was mostly dark red. Yes I had a beta test and was told it was negative, not sure what the exact result was but they didn't say it was chemical and I doubt it could have been either since I did the hpt from 7 days onwards and it was always negative. I feel much better now since I prefer to believe it was just a clot. Yet it was playing on my mind and so I just had to ask the question here. Thanks so much for responding Daisy.

June 15th, 2011, 10:01 pm #7

of this and wondering. It is awful to not know these things for sure, and we so desperately want not have any niggling worries about what if...

Onwards and upwards hopefully!

Daisy
xxxx

June 15th, 2011, 10:17 pm #8

Hi everyone.

Aoife
nt

Anon7
Anon7

June 16th, 2011, 2:37 am #9

Hi everyone.

Aoife
as this is my first DE cycle. I think last cycle after OE try was really heavy, but my lining that time was crazy thick, like 13/14, so I think that was the deal there.

I'll be excited for your upcoming cycle at the end of the summer. I'm so sorry this one didn't work out, but you are a real trooper! The waiting part SUCKS. I hate that I'm waiting right now and heck I could be pg within 2 weeks, so I'm not the poster child for patience. I hope you are able to enjoy your summer! Best to you......

June 16th, 2011, 7:31 am #10

Hi everyone.

Aoife
HI,
I"m sure what you saw was not the embyro. If you sort of think about it an embyro would fit on the head of a pin and even then you wouldn't see it with the naked eye.
Logically if you have built up a good lining and the cycle hasn't worked then your body has to shed the lining.
I recall failed cycles where the 'debris' (for want of a better word) was kind of stringy and jelly like.
However, I also recall that when I took the blood thinners then the failed cycle 'debris' wasn't like this - it was just heavy bleeding.
---
Are you on blood thinners such as Clexane or baby asprin for cycles?
As an aside on a normal cycle where I am not ttcing I used to get clotting debris.
I still take blood thinners and do not get this at all now. When I look back on it I do not think the clotting I saw was normal.
I am wondering if you need to take blood thinners for your cycles perhaps?
It might be something worth thinking about. Forgive my ignorance if you have mentioned you already take these. I am no longer on the boards everyday or even every week now.
One blood clotting disorder is Antiphosphilipid syndrome. You might like to look that up if you know nowt about it.
Again, I am pretty certain the clots you saw were not the emby but more so the body shedding the failed cycle.
I am sorry this cycle did not work for you. Keep moving forward though as you will reach your goal but you have to be cycling for this to happen (obviously), best, THK.