advice/support?

advice/support?

anon for now
anon for now

January 5th, 2012, 2:22 pm #1

I have been a long time lurker and have appreciated all the wisdom that I have gained from this board. We are in the midst of our first(and possibly only due to $$) DE cycle. We are at a clinic in Boston using a proven donor (both pregnancies from frozen cycles) and today is the day of retrieval. So far I think things have gone well with 16 follicles and E2 of 2900 on Tuesday but never having done OE IVF this is only based on what they tell me.
At this point, they only want to go to 5 days if we have more than 9 embryos....we would prefer 5 days regardless of the number of embryos due to the higher success rates and the fact both previous pregnancies were from frozen. Also my husband is pretty nervous about transferring two because of the risk of twin pregnancies due to the possibility of prematurity, etc. The clinic's usual routine is transfer 2 if it is a 3 day and 1 if it is a 5 day. My opinion is transfer two at either point but I am more emotional and less logical perhaps.
I would appreciate any opinions because although I have several friends that have done OE IVF I don't know anyone else that has done DE. Help....kind of at that freaking out period!

January 5th, 2012, 3:04 pm #2

if you're sure you don't want to be pregnant with twins. And I completely understand your reasons to avoid twins.

I think the reason blast transfers are so much more successful isn't that they're blast transfers per se but because the weaker embryos have died along the way, so I would not insist on a day-5 transfer regardless of the number of embryos. I'd go along with the clinic's advice about that if you have fewer than 9 embryos and transfer at day 3 then. But then I WOULD (personally) transfer 2.

It actually sounds like everything is going very well up to now. I wish you the best of luck!

January 5th, 2012, 4:36 pm #3

I have been a long time lurker and have appreciated all the wisdom that I have gained from this board. We are in the midst of our first(and possibly only due to $$) DE cycle. We are at a clinic in Boston using a proven donor (both pregnancies from frozen cycles) and today is the day of retrieval. So far I think things have gone well with 16 follicles and E2 of 2900 on Tuesday but never having done OE IVF this is only based on what they tell me.
At this point, they only want to go to 5 days if we have more than 9 embryos....we would prefer 5 days regardless of the number of embryos due to the higher success rates and the fact both previous pregnancies were from frozen. Also my husband is pretty nervous about transferring two because of the risk of twin pregnancies due to the possibility of prematurity, etc. The clinic's usual routine is transfer 2 if it is a 3 day and 1 if it is a 5 day. My opinion is transfer two at either point but I am more emotional and less logical perhaps.
I would appreciate any opinions because although I have several friends that have done OE IVF I don't know anyone else that has done DE. Help....kind of at that freaking out period!
With a proven donor , I would be very careful . I know it is easy to cave in to temptation , I did . I transferred 2 blasts with a proven donor and ended up with twins .If you do not want twins , transfer one blast , and consider transferring one 3 day embryo . With a proven donor , quality is likely to be good . Also have you discussed with your RE , risks of multiples ? It does depend on individual factors too , like age , previous history etc . You could make a decision after talking it over with your RE . Good luck and keep us posted .
Last edited by Zaytune on January 5th, 2012, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katie Robins
Katie Robins

January 5th, 2012, 6:26 pm #4

I am 40 years old and in my first DE cycle. I am currently almost 10 weeks pregnant. We transferred two perfect blasts on day 5 and only one took, just what we were hoping for. Our chances went from 45% with transferring one to 70% transferring two. We felt after all this work, we needed to give ourselves the very best chance to get pregnant.

January 5th, 2012, 9:48 pm #5

Given the fact that we all want to be pg on the first try, it is easy to give in.
If you are concerned about having twins, I would only transfer 1...like so many others have said.
That being said, I have been through two rounds of DE. First with an unproven where we transferred 3 'not so perfect' embies on day 5, resulting in a BFN.
Our second round was with a proven donor and again, we transfered 3 'beautiful' embies on day 3 and I am currently 36 wks.
I am only giving my stats, as DE is not always a sure thing.
Best of luck to you and DH on your choice.

anon for now
anon for now

January 6th, 2012, 7:15 pm #6

Thanks for all the advice....20 retrieved waiting for the fertilization so I guess one step at a time but so far so good they keep telling me.

January 6th, 2012, 7:55 pm #7

My little ones arrived at 25w6d after a picture perfect pregnancy prior to my cervix crapping out and had 4 months in the NICU complete with heart surgery, retinopathy, MRSA, many transfusions and more not fun stuff. It was a bitter pill to swallow that my choice at transfer led to such suffering and longer term issues with immune function and asthma. I'd hate to think of one of them not being here but if I could turn time back, I would make a different choice at transfer. The suffering was not worth it.

January 6th, 2012, 9:43 pm #8

You're saying that the pregnancies that make your donor proven were both FET's? Sounds like you have a good donor, and if your embies make it to d5, I really think you are courting trouble to tx > 1. Twins aren't necessarily a disaster, but they do make it much harder to enjoy your pregnancy and your children. As for a 3dt, I'm a bit out of my depth, b/c both my tx's were 5d. I hate to sound like DE Cassandra, but a long-time member of these boards wrote not long ago that she counted nine women who had tx'd 2 and ended up with trips. This happened to a friend of mine, and the outcome was disastrous. So, just because you tx only 1 doesn't mean you might not end up w/twins, and if you tx 2, you might end up with more than twins. Wishing you all the best! Maggie (in VA)

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 6th, 2012, 10:30 pm #9

I discussed it with the RE in advance, he said there was no need to make a concrete decision until transfer day when we could see what the embryos were like.

We had retrieval numbers like yours, and on transfer day there were many blasts to choose from, 2 had top grading from the clinic. The RE at that point said there was no need to consider tx more than one based on their experience. Two would have resulted in a very high risk for twins.

anon for now...update
anon for now...update

January 6th, 2012, 11:18 pm #10

So 11 fertilized......is that okay? Tenatively we are on for a 3 day transfer for Sunday because they don't want to do a 5 day transfer unless there are 9 embryos. They are going to update us tomorrow. If it is a 3 day we will transfer 2 so it answers the question but I just feel more confident with a 5 day blastocyst transfer because that seems to be the way more and more clinics are going. Am I just being crazy? HELP!