? about no tell and hospital

? about no tell and hospital

June 11th, 2012, 10:55 pm #1

Hi, We are expecting our baby very soon. Nervous about being no tell in hospital. Our Obgyn's know we used de. I thought it was important for them to know. Because of my age and all the testing. Spoke to one of doctors about my concerns for my privacy on this issue in hospital. All he did was go on and on that de is so not a big deal. How so many women are using de. WELL NO DUH! That isnt my concern I said. It is a privacy issue. I havent shared info with family I said. Lots of reasons why. So he said When I go into labor and call dr. To make sure I tell dr on call and he will alert nurses at hospital. WTF. I am nervous enough about labor. Now i have to worry about this. What do you all think?

June 12th, 2012, 12:06 am #2

Congrats! I'm not as far along, so I haven't thought too much about the delivery yet. So, I'm curious - in what context would the DE factor come up at delivery? Like you said, I definitely agree it's important for your OB to know about DE. How would the nurses know, and do you think they would share the info with your family? No matter what the medical info is, you are protected by HIPPA - de or no de. I think you don't have to worry about this aspect and try and relax and enjoy the birth of your baby

June 12th, 2012, 12:08 am #3

Hi, We are expecting our baby very soon. Nervous about being no tell in hospital. Our Obgyn's know we used de. I thought it was important for them to know. Because of my age and all the testing. Spoke to one of doctors about my concerns for my privacy on this issue in hospital. All he did was go on and on that de is so not a big deal. How so many women are using de. WELL NO DUH! That isnt my concern I said. It is a privacy issue. I havent shared info with family I said. Lots of reasons why. So he said When I go into labor and call dr. To make sure I tell dr on call and he will alert nurses at hospital. WTF. I am nervous enough about labor. Now i have to worry about this. What do you all think?
If you alert the staff at delivery its more for people to talk about. I delivered at he same place as I did the DE IVF and didn't say a word to anyone and no one did to me. Even the doctor, who I work with can't remember I used DE. It just won't be mentioned.

June 12th, 2012, 1:19 am #4

You have both said the same thing as my dh. I have been thinking alot lately and worrying about everything. I think it hormones.

June 12th, 2012, 1:23 am #5

This conversation has been repeated over and over on this board. For some reason, dr's feel they must release this information to the hospital. I completely agree with you on this. In our case, I have a mother in law in her late 70's who doesn't know, and people just sometimes blurt stuff out. I have heard stories along the way of things being said to the moms, or in front of families...

I was insistent with my OB about this, he dismissed it the same way yours did... it's no big deal blah blah blah. Where does Hippa protect you on this? Not at all. In the end my OB conceded... he wouldn't remove it from my files but when they photocopied the file for the hospital, he took a post it note and covered the the two places where there was mention of the DE aspect. So when it got copied, the post it note blocked the information. That way he didn't break any laws and tamper with my permanent medical file, but he protected the spread of my personal information. I was very relieved he did this because like you, I didn't want one more thing to deal with, and again bringing it up as something no one should mention somehow raises it's priority when you are trying to downplay it.

Very aggravating!

Baby Blessings,
Jordee

Last edited by Jordee on June 12th, 2012, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 12th, 2012, 1:37 am #6

I knew my OB would not hide this from hospital, but a few days before scheduled delivery, I called him. I told him I needed the staff at the hosp not to mention it in the room incase someone was around, or mention it to me. He called the charge nurse and a note was made on my file not to discuss with patient or mention. This worked quite well. I totally understand your concerns. Good luck .

June 12th, 2012, 2:16 am #7

I agree with pp, that telling the MD on call as well as the nurses would just bring attention to the matter. No one in my family knew about DE either, but it was in my chart, although way in the back, I think. It would take a real moron of a medical professional to say ANYTHING about DE to family members at the hospital. If anyone is stupid enough to actually say anything about DE in front of your family or friends, I would just stare at them as if they have 3 heads, do not respond verbally (as if to say WHAT THE HE!! ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT) and let them then retract whatever dumb question or comment they made. As a last resort, I would say "You MUST have me mistaken with someone else" and continue with that cold stare...

June 12th, 2012, 3:29 am #8

In delivery, there's just no reason for it to come up. I was nearly 49 and no one said dick, probably b/c anyone who knew anything knew I used DE, but at delivery, so what? GL! Maggie (in VA)

June 12th, 2012, 5:54 am #9

Hi ya,
I think when your time gets near then everyone gets nervous. I never mentioned anything to anyone at the hospital as nobody's business frankly.

Just know that you will be anxious at this time and so with that knowledge try to just 'be' for this last little stretch.
Once your babe has arrived then... you will be more at ease. Its the unknown that puts you on edge and its understandable.
best am excited for you, take it easy, THK

June 12th, 2012, 1:10 pm #10

You have to do blood work and fill out forms that would show it.

Good luck to you.