A follow up question to ks's post

A follow up question to ks's post

June 19th, 2012, 1:57 am #1

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on the board who has had a successful spontaneous pregnancy following DE IVF?

When I went to my 6 week visit, a month ago, I asked was it really necessary to talk about contraception considering I have been diagnosed with secondary IF, and told that my ovarian reserve was low.

I was told that I definitely needed to use some form of contraception because my dr. didn't want me to chance getting pregnant for a year so that my uterus could rest. But it's such a strange protective suggestion, all things considered.

But dh and I do want to try for 1 more child (we have a frostie), but of course if at the time that we wanted to start planning for the FET, I would not be opposed to not use bc for a bit and just seeing what happened (don't get me wrong...I still sometimes marvel at the way I feel so blessed to have our little girl, and although I had thoughts that it would not be this way, I love her madly...just like our beautiful son - each of them for different reasons and attributes that they share with me - so having success with an FET would be a dream come true). My concern of course would be what some have mentioned, like a late miscarriage or ectopic.

So maybe we allow for the opportunity, and if it happens, great...but I know me. I still would have to try to claim our child who we believe is waiting for us at the clinic right now, in the form of a day 6 frozen embryo. Don't think the dh would be doing cartwheels to have 2 more children (he adores our kids, and I think he is the best father, but I know he feels like we will be so old by the time they are out on their own, and that retirement would be out of the question because we would want to be in a position to take care of them)

So, again my question...has anyone conceived naturally and actually had a baby following a DE IVF or is a poor outcome even if pregnancy occurred pretty much the norm?

June 19th, 2012, 2:43 am #2

a few women on the board who did conceive and deliver with their OE after having a DE baby.
I actually have been pregnant (naturally) twice since I had DD but lost both of the pregnancies early on.
Good luck.

June 19th, 2012, 6:25 am #3

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on the board who has had a successful spontaneous pregnancy following DE IVF?

When I went to my 6 week visit, a month ago, I asked was it really necessary to talk about contraception considering I have been diagnosed with secondary IF, and told that my ovarian reserve was low.

I was told that I definitely needed to use some form of contraception because my dr. didn't want me to chance getting pregnant for a year so that my uterus could rest. But it's such a strange protective suggestion, all things considered.

But dh and I do want to try for 1 more child (we have a frostie), but of course if at the time that we wanted to start planning for the FET, I would not be opposed to not use bc for a bit and just seeing what happened (don't get me wrong...I still sometimes marvel at the way I feel so blessed to have our little girl, and although I had thoughts that it would not be this way, I love her madly...just like our beautiful son - each of them for different reasons and attributes that they share with me - so having success with an FET would be a dream come true). My concern of course would be what some have mentioned, like a late miscarriage or ectopic.

So maybe we allow for the opportunity, and if it happens, great...but I know me. I still would have to try to claim our child who we believe is waiting for us at the clinic right now, in the form of a day 6 frozen embryo. Don't think the dh would be doing cartwheels to have 2 more children (he adores our kids, and I think he is the best father, but I know he feels like we will be so old by the time they are out on their own, and that retirement would be out of the question because we would want to be in a position to take care of them)

So, again my question...has anyone conceived naturally and actually had a baby following a DE IVF or is a poor outcome even if pregnancy occurred pretty much the norm?

I'll let her pipe up herself if she wants. In her case it was following YEARS of ttc and m/c before DE.

June 19th, 2012, 1:41 pm #4

I've seen it happen many times! It's one of those little miracles that happens. Not all of them are happy outcomes, some are m/c, but there are a few miracle babies I am aware of. (stangely enough they all concieved at Christmas!)

As one Dr said "Little Accidents makes little people!" LOL!

I'm with you Veesha, I really can't wait to try with my last frostie. I've been longing to be pregnant again since the day after Lola's delivery and I couldn't feel her kicking me anymore!

All my best!

ks

June 19th, 2012, 1:50 pm #5

of folks who conceived spontaneously following a DE child. There are also lots more spontaneous pg w/ mc stories though too, sadly (me, twice, between my DE twins and singleton). I don't think there's anything wrong with letting nature take its course - but I would recommend using BC (even if just condoms) for 6-12 months pp. Both of my OE pgs after the twins were within that timeframe and while nursing! Only two "natural" pgs ever, and they happened when they weren't supposed to . I have no doubt they were abnormal (a chemical and late first tri mc), but it still hurts . There were the only pgs I've had with NO symptoms, even the well-developed one, and since I wasn't even sure I'd gotten AF it didn't seem even a REMOTE possibility. I found out about the latter b/c I started to hemorrhage badly and I had no idea why I was bleeding like that (from taking fenugreek as it turns out), and ended up in the doc's office - and heard the words, "and there's the gestational sac, and there's..." and just about fell off the table. I was 35-36 at the time, now 40 and had my tubes removed in our quest for #3, so it's not a "concern" anymore .

Anyway, to answer your question, it more often ends badly, but there ARE stories of healthy OE babies following DE babies. Hope that's the case for you if it's your heart's desire . Hugs,
Kenny

June 19th, 2012, 9:48 pm #6

a few women on the board who did conceive and deliver with their OE after having a DE baby.
I actually have been pregnant (naturally) twice since I had DD but lost both of the pregnancies early on.
Good luck.
DE. I am so sorry about those 2 loses with OE.

I know nobody wants an m/c and to be honest, I do want to have another baby with the same genes that make up our dd. She is just the most precious thing, and to think that there's a chance that we could have another beautiful child that way makes me incredible happy and hopeful.

What I actually want if complete assurances of success with our frozen embryo (don't we all want that but since there are no guarantees, I would love to be able to just relax between us having had this baby, and before we cycle with our SOLE embryo, and just see what happens.

It's not a preference to have a baby with my genes at this point, it's really just the ease of having a baby naturally (well the "ease" after the challenge of actually conceiving that way...things like not having to worry that the embryos will make it through the freeze, not having to go through new preliminary testing, not having to pay for an FET, not having to do shots, etc) that is enticing.

June 19th, 2012, 9:50 pm #7

I'll let her pipe up herself if she wants. In her case it was following YEARS of ttc and m/c before DE.
I know every pregnancy is different, but I'd like to know just how that worked out for her. Were there were some bumps and scares along the way or if it was smooth sailing from the beginning. Also was that her 1st natural conception?

June 19th, 2012, 10:32 pm #8

I've seen it happen many times! It's one of those little miracles that happens. Not all of them are happy outcomes, some are m/c, but there are a few miracle babies I am aware of. (stangely enough they all concieved at Christmas!)

As one Dr said "Little Accidents makes little people!" LOL!

I'm with you Veesha, I really can't wait to try with my last frostie. I've been longing to be pregnant again since the day after Lola's delivery and I couldn't feel her kicking me anymore!

All my best!

ks
to go for another pregnancy, even while our little ones are so...little! I just would love to have all 3 of our children grow up together as much as possible (although there are 4 years between our ds and our dd).

When do you think you'll give your frostie a try? I was told at SG we have to go through routine testing before cycling again. Before we 1st cycled there we had already gone through our testing at the local clinic that we used and SG accepted that. Since I was told by OB to wait a year before becoming pregnant, we're looking at March as the earliest.

June 19th, 2012, 10:45 pm #9

of folks who conceived spontaneously following a DE child. There are also lots more spontaneous pg w/ mc stories though too, sadly (me, twice, between my DE twins and singleton). I don't think there's anything wrong with letting nature take its course - but I would recommend using BC (even if just condoms) for 6-12 months pp. Both of my OE pgs after the twins were within that timeframe and while nursing! Only two "natural" pgs ever, and they happened when they weren't supposed to . I have no doubt they were abnormal (a chemical and late first tri mc), but it still hurts . There were the only pgs I've had with NO symptoms, even the well-developed one, and since I wasn't even sure I'd gotten AF it didn't seem even a REMOTE possibility. I found out about the latter b/c I started to hemorrhage badly and I had no idea why I was bleeding like that (from taking fenugreek as it turns out), and ended up in the doc's office - and heard the words, "and there's the gestational sac, and there's..." and just about fell off the table. I was 35-36 at the time, now 40 and had my tubes removed in our quest for #3, so it's not a "concern" anymore .

Anyway, to answer your question, it more often ends badly, but there ARE stories of healthy OE babies following DE babies. Hope that's the case for you if it's your heart's desire . Hugs,
Kenny

I am sorry that you had to go through those losses. That is certainly a fear of mine.

I can see why there are more failures than successes with OE after DE and honestly, it's less than desirable to try to go it naturally and have to suffer a loss than the good possibility of success with another DE (although no guarantees).

As much as I love our little girl I would be thrilled beyond belief to have another blessing from the same gene pool that made her, so likely we'll stick with that plan, because again, if we did conceive and have a baby together, I still would have to try with our embryo and 4 children by that point might be more than we can handle. Still I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that we wouldn't be given more than we can bear, so....

We've got time (a little) to think about it.

June 19th, 2012, 11:23 pm #10

to go for another pregnancy, even while our little ones are so...little! I just would love to have all 3 of our children grow up together as much as possible (although there are 4 years between our ds and our dd).

When do you think you'll give your frostie a try? I was told at SG we have to go through routine testing before cycling again. Before we 1st cycled there we had already gone through our testing at the local clinic that we used and SG accepted that. Since I was told by OB to wait a year before becoming pregnant, we're looking at March as the earliest.

I called in today to my local RE to get all my testing done. Once that's done I'll contact SG and see what's left to be done prior to starting meds! I would love to go like next month but...lol...I promised myself I would wait until Lola is 1 1/2, then start trying. I really want to enjoy her "little" time as long as possible...but I'm only getting older...I've got a weight goal I have to reach too before I get pregnant again...9 more lbs and I'm there!! (bed rest killed my body) and I plan on being in top form for this go around!

It's so exciting to think about isn't it!! I'll keep you posted on everything SG needs!

All my best!
ks