8 Boys Wanting a Girl

8 Boys Wanting a Girl

W
W

September 7th, 2010, 6:22 pm #1

on Discovery Health Channel this evening. stories of 4 women using technology in attempts to conceive female children. looks to me like it's going to cover genetic testing.

W

margolis
margolis

September 7th, 2010, 9:46 pm #2

I won't get a chance to watch it, but if possible, please post a review! I hope they do go into the CGH testing, etc. That would be great. I must say, I've learned more about it through your posts, and if you have a number of embryos, it definitely is a wonderful option to have.

Now of course, seeing that, I feel like telling them, "well, give me all of your boys then". But, I don't fault anyone for the decisions they decide to make in their family building. It is all so personal, and not knowing all of their personal situations, it is not for me to judge.

Actually, I know someone who has some strange genetic mutation or something, that they can ONLY have girls, as all boys would not even survive the pg. They actually have named the mutation after her and there are some studies going on about it now. I don't think she was at a clinic where they offered CGH (I don't think a lot do, yet), and did PGD w/ (OE) IVF, and just had twin girls. So, the moral is, you just never know why it is that someone is being gender specific, so not for me to judge.

Thanks Wilson for posting this.

ks
ks

September 7th, 2010, 10:19 pm #3

on Discovery Health Channel this evening. stories of 4 women using technology in attempts to conceive female children. looks to me like it's going to cover genetic testing.

W
His mom went to a clinic in the early 80's that guaranteed her a girl. IE: very early stages of PGD (I'm guessing). She already had 3 boys and just wanted 1 little girl, guess what she got? Twin Boys! LOL!

ks

September 7th, 2010, 11:29 pm #4

About 15 years ago when I was working in peds oncology I worked with a family whose little girl died from leukemia. They hhd other children, both boys, and the mother desperately wanted another little girl. They went through whatever type of testing they did back then and were "guaranteed" a 90% chance of having a girl. As in KS' story, they, too, ended up with a little boy. The weird thing was this LO was the spitting image of his sister both in looks and personality but a boy so he didn't have to "live up" to the deceased child's image...ended up being a very cool thing for the family. Hopefully they do a better job of this stuff these days though!

Hope2009
Hope2009

September 7th, 2010, 11:30 pm #5

W
channel is...I'm sure we have it somewhere. Thanks for the heads up. I "lived" this way of life for several years on the I Village Genetic Determination board when we were trying to have our last bio baby. We had a DD then were blessed with 3 boys in a row. Our oldest DD asked for every birthday and holiday if we could please give her a sister...but the brothers kept on coming.

When I started to "try" for our 5th baby I really wanted a DD...but month after month (since I was over 40) I realized that just a baby would be nice. I travelled the path with many women through that time and we had so much fun on that board. I was able to watch some of them use Microsort to achieve their dream of a girl (funny most women had several boys and wanted a girl) and some used the Shettles method (timing bd around O time) and another method that I forget now but had also to do with timing.

There were all sorts of reactions when women found out they were having another boy...I remember one particular board bud (while I was on) who had two boys in the time that I was trying to have my next baby....and she was so wonderful and immediately loving to her new baby buds...and finally after 5 boys...she had a daughter.

Then there were a few other women who sadly were feeling so grieved at having another boy they were thinking of terminating their pgcy. It was really an eye opener for me at the time. There were only a few of us who were over 40 so the consensus for us was...we just wanted a baby...the gender of our dreams was just icing on the cake.

After trying for almost 2 years and loosing a baby at 12 wks I finally let go..kind of dropped away from the board...it's hard to listen to women complain about having another boy when you just want a baby and so I kind of understand how some women may view me on this board because I had several bio children before considering using DE...maybe ungrateful...although I don't view myself that way at all...but I understand that this may be some people's view.

Anyway as it turned out we did have another DD...but it was a surrnder and let go month so we weren't trying at all. Funny how life turns out.

And then with our DE baby...another boy so maybe my Dh has more XY's...I havne't a clue. I'm actually glad I didn't do PDG because I may have been tempted to put a xx in...and now I understand that I would have missed out on something so lovely and special...my little man

...what I learned along the way trying to conceive our last bio baby and our DE baby was that we are all souls first...gender/genetics to me isn't as important as it used to...I view each of my children as spirits with lessons to teach and things to learn and hope that they never/ever feel that their gender is another but a blessing...or their gene pool...

it was a process of letting go and trusting for me...believing that the baby that was to come was meant to be. I'm madly in love with all my boys and wouldn't trade them for a houseful of girls...it has been nice though to experience the pink stuff though but it is so fleeting...my little 7 year old says that she doesn't want to do ballet any longer...she is thinking of hockey! ha! Even if we want to...they come with their own program...pink or blue. Loving unconditionally is the thing that makes them bloom.

Thanks for the heads up about the program Wilson.

Blessings from HOpe

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 7th, 2010, 11:47 pm #6

W
http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/

not sure if CGH comes up, lots of PGD cases if doing IVF

September 8th, 2010, 1:20 am #7

W
HI W,
I saw something on a Nordic study where 500 hundred women were in a study who really wanted a particular sex. Not sure what the diet was but the attrition rate of the 5 year study was unreal e.g. only 28 left in the study.
They quoted that most of them got the sex they wanted but on a scientific stats level not a real study.
Sex is determined via sperm - just ask Henry the 8th
Let us know what the program was like, thanks, TH.

September 8th, 2010, 3:00 am #8

W
Whenever I hear about gender selection I think of one of my cousins, who wanted so badly to have a girl she became clinically depressed over it, and yet gave birth in succession to four boys (all of whom are now handsome healthy young men). Now that she's in her 50's, she's the proud grandmother of four beautiful granddaughters, and I love seeing their pictures on Facebook. Funny how life turns out...

Maya

anon
anon

September 8th, 2010, 2:43 pm #9

I have to post anon for this - and please no flaming. Also, I don't want to offend anyone, so please accept my apologies in advance if you feel my post is inappropriate.

I also went into major depression because I so wanted a girl. I have two handsome boys - and I love them dearly, but for some reason I couldn't get over my desire to have a girl. I still feel depressed even though I know how fortunate I am. And I am considering DE to try to get a girl.

Again, please don't flame me - I know it is crazy, and I realize that there is no reason for my wanting a girl so much. But when I see others with a little girl, I get a pang in my chest and have much sadness.

I know I am fortunate and give thanks every day that I have two beautiful, healthy boys. But I think the mind is strange - it desires things and sometimes things don't make sense.

It may be related to things that happened in my childhood. I have seen many boys abandon their parents (or not totally abandon, but get so involved in their own life (wife and kids), that they hardly keep in touch with their mother), whereas all the girls I know seem to keep in touch and have very close relationships with their mother.

Maybe deep down I fear that? It may be why I feel this way.

Also, it doesn't help that all around me all my cousins have a girl (one girl, one boy) and I guess I am surrounded every day with this fact.

I hope I have not offended anyone with my post. And also, I do realize my desire may be silly especially since I have healthy kids already.

Catherine
Catherine

September 8th, 2010, 4:07 pm #10

my husband is devoted to his mother (now 94 and senile) and takes her out every week. I speak to my mother maybe once a month under duress and would never share any personal secrets with her, I actually rather dislike her. I think it's more down to the relationship you have with your child rather than the sex of the child.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!