World of Warcraft

Videogames, MMO, RPG, etc.

World of Warcraft

Shinar

01 Oct 2010, 01:58 #1

An excellent video has been made of Philippe's guild's 10 man strict hardmode Lich King kill! (try saying that five times fast)

The first 2 1/2 minutes is introduction stuff, shows a bit about who Arthas is and why we want to kill him. Then there's some guild stuff that has me giggling manically. Then it gets into the actual fight but since it's such a long one (I think the kill pull was 17 minutes) it couldn't all be fit into one video. Part two will be coming soon I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnXGsxgN5Y
“The movies will always be what brought us to this place, but these other stories kept us there. Most people just visited Star Wars. Fans that obsessed over the Expanded Universe lived there.” Phil Owen

T'Keira Lea

01 Oct 2010, 02:19 #2

Okay you just have to watch it for the little callouts when the characters are introduced :lol:

Priceless.
“Bones is heading into its 7th year & there comes a point where you put up or shut up...You can’t extend that tension that long without your fans breaking." ~ Castle's creator

Darth Lex

01 Oct 2010, 02:55 #3

The callouts are great. :heehee:

Wow that's something to watch! :watchtv: How can you even follow all those numbers going by on the screen? :bugeyed: :p

I can see why it'd be fun, though. :D
"Okay, if you're going to question the importance of an actor's signature on a plastic helmet from a movie based on a comic book, then all of our lives have no meaning." ~ The Big Bang Theory

Shinar

08 Oct 2010, 12:58 #4

WoW has hit 12 million active accounts.

WoW has 12 million subscribers worldwide

This is pretty big news. Back in December of '08 (right after Wrath of the Lich King was released) WoW hit a new record of 11.5 subscribers but it plateaued at that point. Unthinkable: WoW stops growing

A lot of folks were predicting that WotLK would be the pinnacle of WoW, looks like it's a bit early to be making bets like that.
“The movies will always be what brought us to this place, but these other stories kept us there. Most people just visited Star Wars. Fans that obsessed over the Expanded Universe lived there.” Phil Owen

Shinar

17 Oct 2010, 12:51 #5

Apparently I missed the second part being posted :doh:

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/77 ... 688895.jpg

The bit at the end is a video Blizzard did about Sylvanis Windrunner. She was a High Elf who was in command of defending her people against Arthas when he was steamrolling his way thru High Elf lands. She didn't stop him but she caused enough trouble he took some rather personal revenge when he raised her as an undead minion. She eventually broke away from his control and dedicated herself to his destruction. My personal opinion is she's gone batshit crazy since then and is now almost as big a menace as he was but that's another story.

Shinar

18 Oct 2010, 12:08 #6

The cinematic trailer for Cataclysm has been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc&

Shinar

22 Oct 2010, 12:58 #7

There's a new WoW book out by Christie Golden.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Sh ... 046&sr=1-3

I'm not planning on buying it and I don't know anyone who has read it. If I talk to somebody I'll post their opinion.

Blizzcon is going on, the WoW equivalent to a Celebration. I know a few folks that are attending, if anything interesting pops up I'll pass it along.

T'Keira Lea

22 Oct 2010, 14:34 #8

12 million accounts! That's impressive actually.

I was going to see if you'd heard any buzz on the book. Reviews that I have found are positive but time usually bears out if the initial fanboy spooging is just that.
“Bones is heading into its 7th year & there comes a point where you put up or shut up...You can’t extend that tension that long without your fans breaking." ~ Castle's creator

Darth Lex

27 Oct 2010, 19:45 #9

WoW Superfan Just Blew Your Mind

Star Wars fans are just as bad. :heehee:
"Okay, if you're going to question the importance of an actor's signature on a plastic helmet from a movie based on a comic book, then all of our lives have no meaning." ~ The Big Bang Theory

Darth Lex

02 Nov 2010, 17:32 #10

And even more --

'WoW' superfan rewarded with his own 'WoW' character

Wildhammer Fact Checker :rotflmao:

T'Keira Lea

04 Nov 2010, 01:03 #11

Hey that's a good name!

Chimpo

02 Dec 2010, 16:13 #12

I'm finally getting Xbox 360 so I will stop playing PC games. Another reason why I won't play WOW :lol:
"I actually like Jaina/Jag best. Because they're such an imperfect fit, unstoppable force vs. unmoveable object, they challenge each other more and make one another cooler." Aaron Allston

Chimpo

10 Dec 2010, 08:52 #13

Changed my mind on the xbox :p

BTW how is the new X-pac? I heard that there are lots of bugs in it :huh:
"I actually like Jaina/Jag best. Because they're such an imperfect fit, unstoppable force vs. unmoveable object, they challenge each other more and make one another cooler." Aaron Allston

Shinar

11 Dec 2010, 19:52 #14

It's been a pretty stable release over all. The transition itself was very smooth, no crashed servers or anything. You had to log out at midnight PST but then most folks could log right back in and get going.

Yes, there are most certainly bugs. And sometimes they are really, massively frustrating because of the way they have restructured questing in the new zones. I had a case where one bug (I couldn't open a chest to get a quest item) locked me out of a WHOLE DANG ZONE. I was very pissed about that.

The way a zone used to work was to have multiple quest hubs right? And you could move around between them, if you didn't like one hub you could skip it all together. Well in Cata they've integrated everything into one massively micromanaged story line. You can't go to a hub until you are sent to it after finishing the hub you are at. It makes it all very linear and very controlled, it gives them lots of opportunity for lore and storytelling (lots of cut scenes now) but as I mentioned, one bug can completely send the whole thing to hell.

I'm hearing stories of hellish que times to log on, lots of folks have come back to see whats up after not playing for a long time but haven't experienced any trouble myself. I admit I'm avoiding the toons that are on the highest population server (I play on four different servers at this point) but even the moderately high populations seem to do fine.

So far I think they did a great job. For the most part things are running smoothly. The questing moves along quickly and the zones are downright epic. I need to take some screenshots of Vortex Pinnacle, the first time I stepped into it I couldn't stop thinking of Cloud City. I know folks that are going back after they hit cap and questing in areas they skipped for the fun of it. Just the fun. In a game! Who knew?!!

T'Keira Lea

19 Dec 2010, 04:00 #15

Vocabulary lesson for the WOW fans...

I laugh every time I see this. But really, less video games, more studying, speaking English.

Shinar

19 Dec 2010, 21:04 #16

I couldn't make it past the first 20 seconds :blink:

Shinar

18 Jul 2011, 17:18 #17

WoW Insider reviews Twilight of the Aspects (CG's latest book WoW book)

CG's latest Cataclysm book is coming out and WoW Insider (the equivalent of theforce.net) released its review today :headbanging:

Forgot to come back and mention it on this thread but The Shattering was well received by WoW fans, I've had multiple friends tell me I should read it. They claim it was very good. I'm tempted to read it just to get the lore that has been integrated into the game :grrr:

FelsGoddess

18 Jul 2011, 21:21 #18

Shinar @ Dec 11 2010, 03:52 PM wrote: You can't go to a hub until you are sent to it after finishing the hub you are at.  It makes it all very linear and very controlled, it gives them lots of opportunity for lore and storytelling (lots of cut scenes now) but as I mentioned, one bug can completely send the whole thing to hell.
I don't keep up with much of the lore of the game. Most of what I have picked up has been from the new way quests are done. The new way of questing seems to make it easier in general to navigate the game.
Shinar wrote: I need to take some screenshots of Vortex Pinnacle, the first time I stepped into it I couldn't stop thinking of Cloud City.
Yeah, it has that "feel." One of the best of the new instances.

:giggle: Love the Harrison Jones quest line in Uldum.
Her work has done nothing but improve in leaps and bounds ever since.
Well that's a scary thought.

T'Keira Lea

20 Jul 2011, 13:25 #19

A review for the new Golden book came in at Amazon

1 star - Having never read Golden's work outside the Warcraft universe I will refrain from commenting on her ability as a writer in the broader sense. Within that universe, however, Golden has consistently delivered melodramatic, childish prose with largely absurd twists and convenient plot elements covering for a lack of any respect for the characters or lore set she is writing. This title, along with the recent Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, are poorly written by any standard, and even moreso considering the lack of effort required to invent backstory, plot elements, and characters in an original work. Even with canned sets of these, pages of previously written lore to draw upon, Golden delivers flat, stale narratives again and again within the Warcraft setting.

Like any of her previous books in the Warcraft lore, take a pass on this one and save yourself a headache unless you're a major fan and just want to know the story for a sense of completion.

Yeah, not just STAR WARS.

Shinar

20 Jul 2011, 15:10 #20

Yeah, I would call that a very accurate review. I remember back when my first WoW book was given to me, I go thru it and never touched it again. This was long before Golden had been announced as the new Star Wars writer. The work was completely unmemorable. No good quotes, no good characters, I only appreciated all the lore being brought together in a fairly comprehensible way.

Maybe somebody will lend me a copy of the Shattering and the new book cause I'm sure not going to buy them. But sadly I think Golden's place as *the* WoW writer is cemented :rolleyes: