Feet First - Welcome to the Cantina, v.2

Welcome Board

Feet First - Welcome to the Cantina, v.2

19 Nov 2005, 02:45 #1

September 4, 2010

~ Come in. Pull up a chair. Let us pilfer your credits.

That was the original welcome to the Cantina when it was opened 5 years ago. The forum name Lomin Ale Cantina and the Wraiths call signs for members were an homage to the Star Wars: X-Wing novel series -- a favorite among this crowd. Really, the Cantina existed before that in Yahoo Groups... Let me start at the beginning.

In 2003, the Wraiths started out as a Stars Wars fanfic writer and a group of fans, who enjoyed gabbing in between weekly posts of one particular fanfiction over at TheForce.Net. When the merriment became infectious, a Yahoo message board was created to allow the fanfiction boards to remain about the stories. The fun and broader discussions blossomed, and by 2005 we were looking for a better forum design to accomodate the need.

The Lomin Ale Cantina answered that call. It has been serving this community of fans continuously since opening its doors. We started out as a small core group of fans who loved the Star Wars Expanded Universe, specifically Jaina Solo and her on-again/off-again love interest Jagged Fel. You'll mostly see fangirls here, but some fun, bright men have braved the Cantina conversations. We welcome the perspectives of fanboys, but the core focus of this forum has always been geared toward a fangirl's perspective.

Over the past year especially, discussions have spread out far beyond Star Wars, in an effort to find stories -- whether it be in television, comics, movies or novels -- that speak to our hearts. In September 2010, the Cantina underwent another transformation, in an attempt to serve this growing need among the fangirl community to find a voice.

So come in. Pull up a chair. We won't pilfer your credits -- but we'll help you find a great novel, comic, or videogame that satisfies your inner fangirl. And if it doesn't exist yet, we'll help give you a place to express what you'd like to see in the future.

New members are encouraged to jump in feet first and say hello in this thread.

19 Nov 2005, 12:46 #2

I am Wraith Commander

:ph43r: This is my usual mode :ph43r:

You'll only see me when things require attention.

When I talk like this everyone should take note.

When I talk like this you need to listen.

Now move along. Nothing to see here. B)

T'Keira Lea

19 Nov 2005, 12:52 #3

Hello, I am T'Keira

Ignore the buzz kill above me :giggle:

(No don't really :ph43r: )

I want to offer a warm welcome to all the new Wraiths :wub:
“Bones is heading into its 7th year & there comes a point where you put up or shut up...You can’t extend that tension that long without your fans breaking." ~ Castle's creator

XO
XO

19 Nov 2005, 15:19 #4

I am the XO

I help Wraith Commander make sure everyone stays in line.

If you don't, I might have to warn you :menace: Please listen when I do, especially when it's like this.

Otherwise I will get angry and you will get :slap: or :spank: and end up :blackeye: or even :knockout:

So don't misbehave. You won't like me when I'm angry. :evil:
May the Force be with you :xwingluke:

Go Dook! :godook:

Darth Lex

19 Nov 2005, 15:24 #5

Hey there, everyone! :D

I'm Darth Lex

Welcome to our new Cantina. B-)
"Okay, if you're going to question the importance of an actor's signature on a plastic helmet from a movie based on a comic book, then all of our lives have no meaning." ~ The Big Bang Theory

Shinar

07 Sep 2010, 12:45 #6

Remember folks, always pillage *before* you burn. Or blow it up in my case :waytogo:

Loving the clean new look!
“The movies will always be what brought us to this place, but these other stories kept us there. Most people just visited Star Wars. Fans that obsessed over the Expanded Universe lived there.” Phil Owen

Lyne
Lyne

09 Sep 2010, 22:14 #7

My name is Lyne which is a nickname for my real name. I joined here when my daughter was in Kindergarten and LOTF Betrayal came out. This is one of the most respectful and thought provoking boards I've been on.

Go Cats!
If Del Ray had their wish, Jaina and other females would be in the kitchen making uber Jedi Ben a sandwich.

Overboard4aFel
Recruit

12 Nov 2010, 02:39 #8

Ooo... Look at all the cool emoticons....
:sign_hieverybody:
:O :twitch: :blink: :woot: :wahoo: :yikes: :thud: :cookie: :partay:
:sign_dontpanic:

I brought a towel... :wink:

Hi. :wavehi:

Yeah, I'm slightly hyperactive.

Can you tell?

Anyway.

I'm new. Take pity on me. Unless I deserve it. Then take it out on me. :punch:

So, yeah.

Hi. :wavehi:

(Oh, and feel free to shorten the name... O4aF works just fine.)
"Please, this is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who." ~Monty Python

Just coming to terms with the fact that most men aren't Jagged Fel. Damn. :disgusted:

oldjedinurse

12 Nov 2010, 03:53 #9

:wavehi:

Hi, O4aF. Welcome!

I'm Scrubs, or oldj. I love your sig line about men not being Jagged Fel.

There are plenty of us who commiserate with you on that score. :nodyes:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Hey, it's not quite Monty Python's Silly Walk, but it's the best I can do with the icons we've got. :p

Enjoy yourself, and watch out for spilled ale... :scared:

:innocent:

T'Keira Lea

12 Nov 2010, 12:13 #10

Hi, O4aF! :wavehi:

The emoticons are fun for sure. Enjoy the mayhem. Lots of fun things around here.
“Bones is heading into its 7th year & there comes a point where you put up or shut up...You can’t extend that tension that long without your fans breaking." ~ Castle's creator

Shinar

12 Nov 2010, 14:02 #11

The more emoticons the better :D
“The movies will always be what brought us to this place, but these other stories kept us there. Most people just visited Star Wars. Fans that obsessed over the Expanded Universe lived there.” Phil Owen

Lyne
Lyne

12 Nov 2010, 14:28 #12

Welcome to the board.
If Del Ray had their wish, Jaina and other females would be in the kitchen making uber Jedi Ben a sandwich.

Solo_and_Fel

12 Nov 2010, 22:34 #13

Welcome!
I still want Blood Oath.

Mayhem Squadron Commander

Overboard4aFel
Recruit

13 Nov 2010, 02:40 #14

:notworthy: :wub: :bwush: :notworthy:

Aw, gee guys.. thanks for making me feel so welcome!

:bwush:
"Please, this is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who." ~Monty Python

Just coming to terms with the fact that most men aren't Jagged Fel. Damn. :disgusted:

Darth Lex

13 Nov 2010, 04:15 #15

:wavehi: Welcome! :D
"Okay, if you're going to question the importance of an actor's signature on a plastic helmet from a movie based on a comic book, then all of our lives have no meaning." ~ The Big Bang Theory

scarlett127

15 Nov 2010, 20:14 #16

I read more than i type these days, but welcome! It's a very friendly community. :p

Halerane
Recruit
Halerane
Recruit

19 May 2011, 01:55 #17

Hey! Hale, or Rane, or whatever you want to call me. :D Unless I just dug myself a nice hole by that.

Ah, well, this has been an interesting time for me this past month since I've gotten back heavily into Star Wars after a...I wanna say seven- or eight-year dry spell. My welcome back consisted of "You're favorite character's been dead since 2007. Have fun with that!"

...Yeah.

But enough of that! Hello and hi!

T'Keira Lea

19 May 2011, 02:02 #18

Hi Hale! :wavehi:

Rane might get you confused with a major character in my fanfic. At least for me.

So just guessing Mara fan?

Shinar

19 May 2011, 02:57 #19

My welcome back consisted of "You're favorite character's been dead since 2007. Have fun with that!"

Good for you for sticking with it, a greeting like that probably would've had me taking a U-turn :)

Halerane
Recruit
Halerane
Recruit

19 May 2011, 03:55 #20

T'Keira Lea- Hale it is then! Yeah, she's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid when I first read the books. I knew it was going to happen eventually; it's the how and who that killed her that had me reeling.

Shinar- Actually I tripped over myself heading for the door. But morbid curiosity won out in the end. I have to say, though, that the general amount of apathy I've seen from a lot of fans really finalized my decision to not read anything post-NJO, of which I lost interest halfway through, more so than Mara, and Jacen, being dead. I've read about the stories, so I acknowledge their existence, but that's about as far as it goes. *shrug*