My Yearbook entry

Karl Robinson
Advanced Member
Karl Robinson
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 10:54 am #1

I suddenly realised the other day that I hadn't posted up a yearbook entry :o So, better late than never, here it is!

First up was a shot at the UAMF Blitzbau where a kit is built in a 24 hour period. It's an Esci 1/72 A-7D with Superscale decals for the Arizona ANG. I didn't quite make it (again) Due to being ill just after starting, the build was split into two parts, the first of a 4 hour period, then a 20 hour period. In the end I needed 25 hours to actually finish it. It's quite funny as I've had the project sitting in my mind to do for the last 20 years and not got it done, then I ended up doing it in just over a day!! :lol:

Next up was a real tester, the Kopro 1/72 built out of the box. Plenty of filling required here as the kit was very rough. Decals were absolutely appaling as well.

Then came a finisher of a kit that I'd started the previous year, but was awaiting a set of TwoMikesResin intakes prior to release. These are a great and easy fix for the very wrong kit ones. It's an Airfix 1/48 Hawk 100 done in the Canadian NFTC scheme using a mix of kit and Model Alliance decals.

Trumpeters 1/72 RA-5C Vigilante came up next. Again some fiddling and fettling to get it done, but not as bad as has been said it is. Makes into a nice Viggie as far as I'm concerned.

A little tester for Alclad next up. First time I’d used it on a large area, so another ‘learning’ project. I used the Hobbyboss 1/72 F-86F-30 Sabre and used the colourful SAAF markings for the Korean War.

More to follow...

Karl Robinson
Advanced Member
Karl Robinson
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 10:55 am #2

Flying off the bench next was a Revell 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf109G-10 that I picked up for a bargain £4.50. The mottle turned out much more spotty and heavy than I originally visualised, but looked OK in the end. Another lesson learned!

As another quick project was required, I was tempted by a Hasegawa 1/72 Zero that I’d acquired. Not my usual taste of subject, but sometimes something a little different is required! With the kit being small in size I made up a quick carrier base to give it some substance when displayed. Simple but effective, matchsticks were laid out in a pattern and sanded. Then markings were sprayed onto it as per a Japanese carrier.

Another change of direction for my usual tastes here using the 1/48 Airfix Mosquito. To jazz things up I re-scribed it all, added a Falcon vacform canopy, and Eagle Strike decals. One of my favourites so far…

With May just out of the way, the progress in the year had been pretty swift and everything was ticking along well… but then for some reason I hit a wall and slowed up. The next completion didn’t arrive until late July, with the following Italeri 1/72 Mirage 2000D. Freehand camo used as I hate masking.

More to follow again!...

Karl Robinson
Advanced Member
Karl Robinson
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 10:56 am #3

August brought the completion of a taxing project, the 1/72 Xtrakit Sea Harrier FA.2. Lots of filling and fiddling involved in this one, and it was a real headache. Worst of all was the fact the canopy pieces were up to 3.5mm too wide, and 2mm too long to fit into the recesses on the fuselage. They required CA’ing into place and bending/forcing inwards to meet the sides. The intakes were appaling so I chose the EASIER option of making up intake blanks rather than attempt to fix them! Shameless plugging here, but these inflatable style intake blanks for the Sea Harrier are now available in the Jenesis Designs range from Modelsforsale.com.

Next was my first contribution to Scale Aircraft Modelling, being a compact build review of the Revell 1/72 Dornier 228. A nice little kit, if basic, but with some colourful options.

After this came 2 Sword 1/72 F-80’s, the F-80C, and RF-80A. Both will be appearing in this months SAM

The final 2 finishers came together quite quickly. These were 2 flying boats built for the Splash SIG’s ‘Golden age of flying boats’ display at Telford. Firstly the Revell/Matchbox 1/72 Do-18 posed in flying mode sporting a pre-war scheme.

More....

Karl Robinson
Advanced Member
Karl Robinson
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 10:57 am #4

And finally a Hasegawa 1/72 H6K5 Mavis converted to a JAL pre-war airliner. Amazingly it brought me a ‘Japanese Aviation SIG Honour Award’ from SMW. Selected by them as the nicest Japanese model on display outside of the competition!

And there endeth the year for me… fantastic first half, real dire results from the second half with only a quick spurt at the end making up for it. Overall though, it’s been a good one and I feel a little forward progress has been achieved.

Karl.

MemberOne
Advanced Member
MemberOne
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 2:15 pm #5

Some lovely work there Karl :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gary West
Advanced Member
Gary West
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 3:17 pm #6

seanrgb wrote: Some lovely work there Karl :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Can't argue with that

peebeep
Advanced Member
peebeep
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 3:26 pm #7

That's a stonking portfolio Karl, kudos mate. :clap:

peebeep

Seamus
Advanced Member
Seamus
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 8:23 pm #8

Cracking years work matey, love the Fitter and Mavis, and of course the Shar :wub:

Did you not finish the FW 200 this year as well? :hmm:

Karl Robinson
Advanced Member
Karl Robinson
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2010, 8:42 pm #9

Seamus wrote: Cracking years work matey, love the Fitter and Mavis, and of course the Shar :wub:

Did you not finish the FW 200 this year as well? :hmm:
:clap: You know my work better than I do!!!

So, as pointed out, here's the missing FW-200 Condor!

Thanks Shaun!

Karl.

AndyL
Advanced Member
AndyL
Advanced Member

January 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm #10

Top work as usual Karl...and a well deserved award for the Mavis. :clap:

Where's the 190D9? I thought that was a 2009 kit - and wonderfully done too.