Kenworth Honest John missile transporter

Spad
Advanced Member
Spad
Advanced Member

April 20th, 2018, 5:14 pm #1

Hello all

Been a bit off-piste recently

So, what we have here is one of Revell's re-treads of an existing set of moulds re-cycled into some other application - they're so good at that! I found it in the local shop with a giant reduction on it and it really appealed. I am always attracted to a mix of military with a good splash of colour applied - here I even found chrome!
It seems to be a pretty old kit with much flash (even mould damage?) which builds into something that I think is only a representation of the real thing. I did not find any pics of this as a full-size arrangement so maybe not accurate - but who cares!?! It's a fun build - I had a blast with it - even the engine hood opens for heaven's sake!

Painted with a mix of White Ensign Green, Tamiya Italian Red and K-Color Chrome it is built pretty much from the box with the only refinements being the addition of glazing and some work on the roof horn for which I opened out the trumpet as it was moulded solid.

I was really looking forwards to trying out my new favourite game of using oils to create wood-grain on the shipping crates - they probably would have used new, lighter coloured wood but as I thought the missile may have been shipped in dedicated boxes rather than open sided crates, I went with something I thought would be more attractive to the eye than "strictly accurate".

Anyway, enough waffle, here are the pics - hope you enjoy as much as I did building it! comments and criticism welcome in equal measure.

Thanks for looking.

ATB
Rick

peebeep
Advanced Member
peebeep
Advanced Member

April 20th, 2018, 10:26 pm #2

What an interesting build and very nicely done. It's had me reaching for my Revell 'bible' and it's listed as H-1821 at 1/48 scale, released 1959-60. The truck was modified from H-1403 Kenworth Bekins Van 'S', similarly at 1/48 scale, released in 1956-7. Early boxes don't indicate scale (unless it's on the sides which is rarely pictured) and references to 1/54 seem to stem from the Revell GmbH 'Classic' limited edition release - maybe somebody actually measured it?!

Grant
Advanced Member
Grant
Advanced Member

April 21st, 2018, 9:20 am #3

Now that is different. Nicely done.