Disney ~ Rocketeer

AndyT
Advanced Member
AndyT
Advanced Member

June 11th, 2015, 6:01 pm #1

Hi there, I got this figure when I was at SMW last year finally got the courage to start it.

There were no instructions and unpacking this kit I find that I am missing two parts, the barrel of the luger Mauser pistol and the fin for the helmet.
So these will have to be scratch built.

A bit of hunting on web gave me this to use as a guide;

This is a big kit and although it does not have too many parts it will be interesting especially when it comes to the back pack.

The first thing to do was reduce and remove some of the excess flash.
Waist and arms need a flange so as to fit into the torso - holes for the arm have to be cut.

When all of this has been done the vinyl has to be dipped into boiling water so that it can be softened and formed in to the pose and for balance.

The torso and back pack have some black marks within the vinyl - on closer inspection these seem to be tiny pockets of dirty water or oil.
So I am going to have to pierce them get the fluid out and then fill the void with some Vallejo Plastic putty before priming.

More soon

Jelly071
Advanced Member
Jelly071
Advanced Member

June 12th, 2015, 6:59 am #2

I will keep an eye on this build

AndyT
Advanced Member
AndyT
Advanced Member

June 14th, 2015, 2:44 pm #3

Been going some filling on the figure prior to priming.

Got round to the helmet and the missing fin.
Iain kindly lent me the Rocketeer DVD so I could use that as a closer reference.

From this I first made a number of card-stock templates.

Using the closest template I then attached it to the helmet for final fitting and adjustment.
Having got this trimmed up, I then used it to cut myself a new one from 1mm plasticard

Fitting it for trial again I could see that the curve in the bow of the fin still came too far forward so had to be trimmed again

Once I was happy with the over all look it was just a case of deciding which glue would be best to stick it on

Naturally there could only be one choice ~ Roket

AndyT
Advanced Member
AndyT
Advanced Member

June 14th, 2015, 3:46 pm #4

The next job is to make a new barrel for the Mauser pistol.

I had no idea how big this was so I took a screen shot of one and pasted it into SketchUp.
Once there I was able to use the dimension tool to see how long the barrel is.

For those who may not have tried SketchUp it is an amazing free, easy to use bit of drawing software with plenty of YouTube tutorials if you need them.

Obviously the barrel is not 1.25m long but when this measurement is copied I was able to slide it about on the rest of the picture so I could measure against something that I had on the kit

The Barrel is made from some ally tube with a tiny slit in the end into which I added a brass sight.
The eagle eyed among you will have spotted the 1mm fibre optic - this goes down the arm and is glued into the barrel - this will provide the flash

peebeep
Advanced Member
peebeep
Advanced Member

June 18th, 2015, 10:03 pm #5

This kit goes back a bit, I remember this being reviewed in Scale Models magazine, probably by Matt Irvine in nineteen ninety something. French curves, impressive Andy! I have a set somewhere, but they've been long redundant since I took up CAD. SketchUp is pretty powerful, I must get fluent with it some time.

peebeep

AndyT
Advanced Member
AndyT
Advanced Member

June 18th, 2015, 10:06 pm #6

I to took up CAD but some times old school works best

peebeep
Advanced Member
peebeep
Advanced Member

June 18th, 2015, 10:21 pm #7

There is no way you'd get me back to using tracing paper and Rotrings! The latter have all dried up solid in any case. I still have a number of stencils, circle/ellipse templates and of course the French curves that still get used for modelling on occasion.

peebeep

AndyT
Advanced Member
AndyT
Advanced Member

June 18th, 2015, 10:37 pm #8

Oh I agree with but as you rightly perceive - when trying to recreate a shape, sometimes perspective has to be something that is viewed from all angles in reality to satisfy ones view on it.

AndyT
Advanced Member
AndyT
Advanced Member

June 21st, 2015, 3:33 pm #9

Did a bit more today having let the primer dry for a day or three

Re-heated the arms and sockets so as to form a good fit and then glued them into place
Holding the arms to the torso with rubber bands.

Then followed by adding the legs making sure that I had threaded the fibre optic through.

Grant
Advanced Member
Grant
Advanced Member

June 21st, 2015, 7:24 pm #10

I find the A1 ships curve is a perfect fit to any helicopter performance data!

Like the fibre optic into the barrel, that should prove very effective.