Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5

Grant
Advanced Member
Grant
Advanced Member

2:09 PM - Aug 04, 2018 #1

Here is the Airfix 1/72nd Supermarine Swift FR.5. The pilot is from the spares box and the seatbelts are Tamiya masking tape. The model is held onto the pole with strong button magnets, 2 inside the fuselage and 2 at the top of the pole.

The kit went together well, but the decals caused a bit of a scare. They were quite thick and had a matt finish and any water that trickled off of them left a white, matt, residue on the model, which I couldn’t wash off. Luckily, sealing them in with a gloss varnished covered any matt marks and all looks good now.

peebeep
Advanced Member
peebeep
Advanced Member

4:54 PM - Aug 04, 2018 #2

Very nicely done Grant, that's a good scaleish gloss finish. I must invest in some of those magnets some time.

Spad
Advanced Member
Spad
Advanced Member

10:15 PM - Aug 06, 2018 #3

Nice one Grant and as Paul says, nice gloss finish - get so fed up with flat matt finishes on models of glossy aircraft - nice to see a proper finish for a change.
Love the base also!
ATB
Rick

The Hooded Claw
Advanced Member
The Hooded Claw
Advanced Member

10:27 PM - Aug 06, 2018 #4

Lovely model and presentation Grant.

I always thought that the Swift deserved to be a better aircraft than it was, after all it is a classically good looking airframe.

THC

peebeep
Advanced Member
peebeep
Advanced Member

10:18 AM - Aug 07, 2018 #5

The Hooded Claw wrote:I always thought that the Swift deserved to be a better aircraft than it was, after all it is a classically good looking airframe.
It looks great, had a good performance, but there's a quote from a former Swift pilot along the lines that he couldn't recall a single flight that didn't turn into a full blown emergency. Supermarine didn't make the transition into the jet age with a reliable aeroplane.

Grant
Advanced Member
Grant
Advanced Member

5:35 PM - Aug 07, 2018 #6

Thanks folks.

Glossy and clean I can do, weathering is still something I have to master. Luckily "factory fresh" was a suitable finish for this one!!

Diesel Gypsy
Advanced Member
Diesel Gypsy
Advanced Member

9:55 AM - Sep 06, 2018 #7

I like the look of the Swift but I was unaware of the problems of the actual aircraft. All those airborne dramas could create a very expensive laundry bill 😉😲
A quick question if I may; 
Do you think the decal issues you experienced were due to the decals themselves or compatibility issues with the paint etc?  

Grant
Advanced Member
Grant
Advanced Member

6:59 PM - Sep 10, 2018 #8

Hi Dave,

It was definitely decal issues, Humbrol enamel lower surface and Mr. Color top surface, so very different paints with the same effect. It was the top surface of the decals and what washed off them that was the problem. I have had glue fail before and wash off OK before applying decals, but this was something very different. Being very carefull with where any excess water went and keeping it to a minimum allowed a measure of control. Luckily all came good with a top coat of varnish.

Jelly071
Advanced Member
Jelly071
Advanced Member

8:52 PM - Sep 11, 2018 #9

A great Build