crematorium proposed for downtown Mt Vernon

September 24th, 2015, 4:58 am #1

This one blindsided me while I was busy with other things. It happened too quickly for me to get involved beforehand. They should have allowed much more time for community input before taking a vote on it.

Now I'm becoming fully involved...and will do everything within my power to stop it.

The best possible solution would be for that funeral home to announce that they've decided to build it 5-10 miles outside of town and put super-scrubbers on their smokestack. Will they?

It's never too late to do the right thing.

http://crematory.johnnybob.com

Last edited by jbob on September 24th, 2015, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 18th, 2017, 10:47 pm #2

FYI there is currently some litigation in progress which may be slowing them down. In the meantime Hughey bought Newell so they now have a monopoly in My Vernon (except for Jackson). They lost a lot of money when they fell victim to a Ponzi scheme related to prepaid funerals, but remain in business.

July 24th, 2018, 7:19 am #3

To update a bit, Hughey's funeral home traded Newell's funeral home for a church on 42nd St (just behind Krogers), where they propose to start their toasty-critters activities, iiuc. That church is currently holding meetings at Newell's funeral home. Mr Newell is out of the funeral business and works for a bank.

Confirmation of reply: