What is the male form of Elenaitė?

What is the male form of Elenaitė?

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 1st, 2017, 9:03 pm #1

I have a record saying that a female ancestor's surname was Elenaitė, but I haven't been able to figure out what the male form of that name would be. Elenas?

I've googled a lot of possible versions but haven't had any luck. I can speculate what it would be -- probably Elenas -- but I'd like to know for sure. I can't find any evidence that "Elenas" is a Lithuanian surname.

Thank you!

Judith
Judith

April 11th, 2017, 3:09 am #2

I am Lithuanian and was named after my grandmother, Elena. The diminutive form is Elenyte so perhaps your Elenaite is a first name, not a surname

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 12th, 2017, 9:29 pm #3

The record I have shows the ancestor as having been Ieva, nee Elenaitė. I found someone online with that surname as well, but haven't had any luck determining the male form. Thanks!

zemaitis
zemaitis

April 15th, 2017, 5:55 am #4

Could you please send this record to me to check? Very unusual surname, I even can't find such here. Could be Elenas but too unusual sounds.

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 15th, 2017, 9:29 pm #5

Thank you! What I have is a photocopy of a record in handwritten (cursive) Russian, which I do not read, and a translation that was supplied by LVIA. It is a record of the marriage of my great-grandparents. I will provide the translation verbatim.

The translation says:

In the Catholic church of Jurbakas on the 10 of February 1874 was married the peasants Anton (Antanas) Greičius, 30 years old, bachelor from Jurbarkas and Ieva Kleinovska (Kleinauskaitė), 17 years old, girl from Montvilai village.

Anton (Antanas) Greičius is the son of the peasants Antanas and Ieva, maiden name Elenaitė, Greičiai.

Ieva is the daughter of Jurijus (Jurgis) and Leokadija, maiden name Pipiraitė, Kleinovskaiai (Kleinauskai).

The priest was Kazimieras Marcinkevičius.

The witness were peasants Jurgis Kleinovskij, Rokas Greičius, Antanas Vaiczaitis.

---------

I've found the word that was transcribed as "Elenaitė," and my best guess is that what's written there is "Еленовь", but the second to the last letter is particularly unclear.

If you can decipher this, and/or if you think it's something other than Elenaitė, I'd be most interested to know your thoughts.

zemaitis
zemaitis

April 17th, 2017, 12:16 pm #6

My question is - do you have birth record of Antanas, 1874-30, so about 1844? What mother's maiden name is marked there?
My opinion here is scribe's mistake russian "Еленовь" means mother's name Elena, not surname. Ieva, daughter of Elena. Never and nowhere heard such surname and can't find. But again-it's my opinion.

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 19th, 2017, 2:44 am #7

Unfortunately that's the oldest record I have. No birth/baptism record for Antanas.

I think I can scan the record and post it in a publicly accessible location. I will let you know if I can do that. I'm very grateful for your help!

If these 19th century priests had known that future generations would pore over the records they wrote for illiterate peasants, perhaps they would have taken more care! ;)

zemaitis
zemaitis

April 19th, 2017, 5:18 pm #8

Do not send, I found it and took a look. My opinion did not change.