Visiting Lithuania

Visiting Lithuania

Nancy B.
Nancy B.

October 8th, 2012, 6:02 pm #1

I just returned from a month's visit to Lithuania--my first visit. I would like to encourage everyone who is interested to visit. It is more beautiful than I ever could have imagined. I visited many areas, both urban and rural; met many relatives, went to my Grandparents' birthplaces and had a truly wonderful time. I would recommend learning as much Lithuanian as possible, but don't delay your trip just for that reason if you really feel you should go soon. Many people know some English and most people in their 20's speak fluent English. There are also information centers in all the major tourist areas with staff who speak English very well. I would be happy to answer any questions or give any advice. I would also like to thank Tom S., Marie, Linas N. and others here for the help they provided in assisting me to find my relatives in Lithuania.

Juozas
Juozas

October 9th, 2012, 12:25 pm #2

Nancy,
It is not surprising that you had a wonderful time in such a hospitable and beautiful country. So when will you be going back for your second visit? I have been there three times, once with my brother, once with my daughter, and finally my wife who is not Lithuanian agreed to accompany me on my last trip three years ago. Now my wife keeps haunting me for us to return for another visit as she fell in love with Lithuania and its people. We are planning to visit next August.
Juozas

Nancy B.
Nancy B.

October 10th, 2012, 5:22 pm #3

Well, Juozas, I would go every year if possible! I hope to return next year or for sure the year after that. I resolved to learn Lithuanian first before returning, as I couldn't talk to so many of my older relatives without a translator present. I'm glad that you have been able to make so many trips, and also that your wife likes Lithuania so much. I think it's hard for someone who visits not to like many things there, and I'm going to try hard to encourage many people to visit there.

Donna Lipthorpe
Donna Lipthorpe

October 11th, 2012, 11:19 pm #4

Hello:
Glad you enjoyed your trip. My husband and I would like to go but of course like yourself do not
speak the language. As you say, you cannot converse with the older ones. Is Lithuanian language
a hard language to learn? How would one go about learning it.

Donna

Juozas
Juozas

October 12th, 2012, 12:43 pm #5

Donna,
Please don't let the language barrier prevent you from visiting Lithuania. All the desk clerks at the hotels speak English, all the restaurant menus are in English, and all the transportation facilities are pretty well versed with English. I speak very little Lithuanian but was able to get by talking with my cousins over there using mixed English and body language. To my surprise, whenever I tried speaking to anyone in Lithuanian who was under 30 yrs old they usually replied in English.
There are free Lithuanian Language lessons available on http//www.slic.org.au/
Dont worry about the Language, just go there, I promise you will love it.
Juozas

Donna Lipthorpe
Donna Lipthorpe

October 12th, 2012, 2:33 pm #6

Hello:
Thanks for your enthusiasm! We have been invited to stay with
my husband's cousin. She speaks no English. I just would like to be able to ask her family history. It's difficult and
her Aunts and Uncles speak no English. I will try that site, even
some basic phrases would be better than nothing. I already am in
love with the people, very warm and friendly.

Thanks for replying,

Donna

Nancy B
Nancy B

October 14th, 2012, 4:19 pm #7

I agree with Juozas, Donna. If you have an invitation from a relative, you should definitely go. I think you could always find, once there, someone younger who would be glad to translate for you. If you want to know more about your family history, you will need to make sure you get the correct information. But as I said, you can easily find a person to help you. Please don't hesitate to go, you will never regret it.