trying to track grandparents

Lorraine
Lorraine

April 23rd, 2017, 9:08 pm #1

Hi I am trying to track my grandparents. I can find them in Coaldale Pa. in the 1910 census.
I know my Grandfather Joseph Amalavage was born in lithuania about 1876 and immagrtaed around
1891. My grandmother was born in the states Maiden name either Crouchelunas or Kraucelunas?
Any help with possible other speelings on names would be helpfull. Thanks

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 24th, 2017, 1:35 am #2

Lorraine, I think this may be your Amalavage family: 1900 Census Borough of Shenandoah,Schuylkill Co Pa: Joseph MILAVAGE b. May 1873 Russia, Parents born in Lithuania, wife Susie b. Aug 1880 in Pa. Parents born in Lithuania. Son: Eddie born Oct 1897 in Pa. Joseph is a "Miner". They've been married for 5 years and Susie has had 2 children, only 1 is still alive. Joseph came to the USA in 1883 and is an alien. What happened to this family after 1910? Carl J

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 24th, 2017, 3:10 am #3

Hi I am trying to track my grandparents. I can find them in Coaldale Pa. in the 1910 census.
I know my Grandfather Joseph Amalavage was born in lithuania about 1876 and immagrtaed around
1891. My grandmother was born in the states Maiden name either Crouchelunas or Kraucelunas?
Any help with possible other speelings on names would be helpfull. Thanks
Your grandmother's family name was likely Kraučeliūnas. The pronunciation of that name would be very similar to "Crouchelunas."

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 24th, 2017, 7:35 pm #4

Loraine,On 28 Sep 1895 in Northumberland County Pa Joseph "Andrulevich" 22 yrs & Susan "Karachalunas" 21yrs applied for a marriage license. The marriage occured on 13 Oct 1895 in Mount Carmel Pa. Her parents were Charles & Margaret, His were ?Simon? and Lizzie. This may be you Joseph Amalavage. Carl J

Lorraine
Lorraine

April 25th, 2017, 7:06 pm #5

Thank you for all of the information. Where did you find the marriage license?
We have been all over the genealogy web sites. This is the first time I have seen any reference
to Joseph's parents. Could Simon be an English version of something else? We have different
immigration dates on some records which now makes me question how old he was when he came over.
We have been trying to link him to the other Amalavages in the Coledale area but so far no luck.

I know the Mt. Carmel area is correct because I have other information on one of Susan's sisters.
My Aunt Margret was born there on March 15th 1894. The last of 13 children. From what I know her
Father Charles was killed in a mine not long after. From what I gather birth records are not easily
found in that area. Other that Susan the only other sibling name I have is Constance who married at 14
and was killed by her husband at age 26.

Thanks again!

Lorraine
Lorraine

April 25th, 2017, 7:13 pm #6

Lorraine, I think this may be your Amalavage family: 1900 Census Borough of Shenandoah,Schuylkill Co Pa: Joseph MILAVAGE b. May 1873 Russia, Parents born in Lithuania, wife Susie b. Aug 1880 in Pa. Parents born in Lithuania. Son: Eddie born Oct 1897 in Pa. Joseph is a "Miner". They've been married for 5 years and Susie has had 2 children, only 1 is still alive. Joseph came to the USA in 1883 and is an alien. What happened to this family after 1910? Carl J
We have them in Coledale Pa. for awhile. My father was born there and was the only child
to reach adulthood. We know that Joseph applied for a liquor license in 1911 in West Hazelton.
We have him as a boarder in 1930. We think he died before the 1940 census.

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 25th, 2017, 8:09 pm #7

Thank you for all of the information. Where did you find the marriage license?
We have been all over the genealogy web sites. This is the first time I have seen any reference
to Joseph's parents. Could Simon be an English version of something else? We have different
immigration dates on some records which now makes me question how old he was when he came over.
We have been trying to link him to the other Amalavages in the Coledale area but so far no luck.

I know the Mt. Carmel area is correct because I have other information on one of Susan's sisters.
My Aunt Margret was born there on March 15th 1894. The last of 13 children. From what I know her
Father Charles was killed in a mine not long after. From what I gather birth records are not easily
found in that area. Other that Susan the only other sibling name I have is Constance who married at 14
and was killed by her husband at age 26.

Thanks again!

Lorrraine, An image of the marriage license is available on Ancestry.com (they connect you to Familysearch.org). The name "simon" is my guess, it's very difficult to read. Also found a WWI Draft Card (1918) for Joseph Peter Amalavage born. (unknown month & day) year 1974. Res 227 Highland, Shenandoah, Pa. Lists son Isadore as nearest relative. Occupation: Miner. What happened to wife Susan, and son Edward after 1910?

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 25th, 2017, 11:51 pm #8

We have them in Coledale Pa. for awhile. My father was born there and was the only child
to reach adulthood. We know that Joseph applied for a liquor license in 1911 in West Hazelton.
We have him as a boarder in 1930. We think he died before the 1940 census.
Pa. Death Index: Joseph Adanoloins (sic) 20 Jan 1932 at Schuylkill County Almshouse Hospital age 60, Lithuanian, Married, Unk, Fat, Unk Mot, Unk. Where was disease contracted: Shenandoah, Pa. Burial Alshouse Plot. Good possiblilty that this is Joseph Amalavage. In the 1930 census he was living as a boarder in Shenandoah, Pa.

Lorraine
Lorraine

April 27th, 2017, 1:40 am #9

Lorrraine, An image of the marriage license is available on Ancestry.com (they connect you to Familysearch.org). The name "simon" is my guess, it's very difficult to read. Also found a WWI Draft Card (1918) for Joseph Peter Amalavage born. (unknown month & day) year 1974. Res 227 Highland, Shenandoah, Pa. Lists son Isadore as nearest relative. Occupation: Miner. What happened to wife Susan, and son Edward after 1910?
Hi My father Isadore (Theodore) was taken out of the area by Sussie's sister Elsie when he was young.
I loose track of him then. He once told me he lived in the Niagra Falls area for a while.
Eventually he was sent to live with another of Sussie's sisters Anna in Ct.

He had two brothers: Edward who died at 18 due to alcohol. We found a record of him
in the Hazelton court as being a delinquent. The other brother Joseph Jr. was killed at age
6 by either a train or trolley type car. We can not track Sussie. She also drank. We had heard
she would move in with men. At some point in the 1930's to early 40's she traveled to Ct to look
up my father. Not a welcomed reunion. We think she died back in Pa. What is interesting is
that Sussie was one of 13 kids and we can only find records on the two of them I know. Anna and
Margaret.