Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 12th, 2017, 2:17 am #31

Fred, This may be Charles: NY death index: Charles Sinkevich age 38 b. abt 1904 d. 7 Jan 1942 Kings County NY Certificate# 642. 1940 Census: Martin Zekenin or Zekevin 74 yrs. wife Mary 67, son Charles 24 (should be 34). Living at 750 Metropolitan, Brooklyn, NY. This is the same address they had in the 1930 census. Carl J

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 12th, 2017, 4:00 am #32

Can't believe you found my greatgrandparants on the 1940 census. I've been searching for a few days now.
Ironic that my Grandfather'a brother Charles died almost the same year (1942) as my father's brother Charles (1944).
Of course I never met my uncle, he was only 17 when he passed.
Thanks again for your help Carl.

Fred

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 12th, 2017, 9:51 pm #33

Wow, you are miles ahead of where you started! Have you thought about getting your DNA tested?

BTW, I think I misled you in an early post when I said that Mary's family was from Gluosninkai. I believe I picked that up from someone who married into the family, sorry. I still believe Mary and Martin probably came from Kėdáiniai. If you were to try looking into church records, I'd suggest starting there.

http://kedainiusvjurgiobaznycia.lt/

I have no idea whether they have intact records and whether they will search for you, but you might write to them and ask what they have and what the records would cost. Also try the Lithuanian state archives.

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 13th, 2017, 12:51 am #34

Hey Gee Jay,
Thanks for the website will look into that.
I thought about the DNA testing but there is no seperate catagory for eastern Europians.
It wouldn't differenciate between Lithuanians, Russians, Latvians etc. so I didn't think it would be much help.
If that is not so than it may be something I would consider or for whatever suprises it may hold I guess.

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 13th, 2017, 12:58 am #35

Wow, you are miles ahead of where you started! Have you thought about getting your DNA tested?

BTW, I think I misled you in an early post when I said that Mary's family was from Gluosninkai. I believe I picked that up from someone who married into the family, sorry. I still believe Mary and Martin probably came from Kėdáiniai. If you were to try looking into church records, I'd suggest starting there.

http://kedainiusvjurgiobaznycia.lt/

I have no idea whether they have intact records and whether they will search for you, but you might write to them and ask what they have and what the records would cost. Also try the Lithuanian state archives.
stupid question
If I wrote to this church (I was just on the website), what exactly am I asking of them.
I could guess but I'd rather not
thanks

Fred

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 14th, 2017, 2:30 am #36

I don't know whether it makes more sense to write to a church, or to the National Archives. But IMO what you should say is that you are researching the origins of two of your ancestors, Marija Bužonaitė and Martynas Zinkevičius or Sinkevičius. Martynas was born in about 1868 and Marija was born in about 1873. They probably came from the same area, which may have been Kėdáiniai. They were probably married in Lithuania in about 1890, and they emigrated in about 1890.

Marija had a brother named Jonas Bužonas who was born in about 1887 and who emigrated in about 1904 as a single man.

You want to know whether they have records regarding any of these people, what they will charge to do a search, and what they will charge to provide you with the records they find.

Mr. Jankauskas, what do you think?

Jankasukas
Jankasukas

April 14th, 2017, 7:06 pm #37

All the censuses (1900 thru 1940) list Martin & Mary as "Aliens". I believe they never applied for US citizenship. I could not find their arrival in the USA anywhere. .The National Archives would not have any records in regard to same. There is a researcher on this site named "Zemaitis" who will do research in Lithuania at a cost. Writing to Lithuania with specific info, surname, place of birth, is a long shot. By the way, Margaret 'ZINKAITCH" married John J Kurila on 24 Feb 1935 in Kings Co NY. Regards, Carl J aka "Cee Jay" LOL.

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 14th, 2017, 8:03 pm #38

had the same problem trying to find immigration info.
I guess a long shot is what it is.
Would be nice to know WHAT the pronuciation/spelling of my last name but it is what it is.
truley appriciate all the help though as i would never have this far on my own.
If I learn anything else will let you knoe

fred (the one and only, except for my father of course)

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 14th, 2017, 8:43 pm #39

Yo Fred, I may have crated some confusion with my feeble attempt at humor. I am not "Gee Jay". I was refering to my initials C..J.. Will contact you if I find anything else. Carl J

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 14th, 2017, 9:06 pm #40

hey Carl,
I figured it out. That was my bad attempt at some humor.
i really do appriciate the help and if I can ever reciprocate, will be happy to help as I will always be looking in on this page.
Went into this trying to figure out if I was Russian or Lithuanian and, not only was able to answer that (it IS Lithuanian), got so much more info about my family. It's been interesting to say the least.

Fred