Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 9th, 2017, 11:56 am #21

Fred, 1900 Census Brooklyn NY, Martin ZINKASKIE, B.Mar1870, Mary B. Apr 1873, children Katie Feb 1893, and John Jan 1897.Martin & Mary came to the USA in 1890. Martin's occupation is "Tailor". 1905 Census, Brooklyn, NY: Martin SANCAVITZ 37, wife Mary 37, children, Cassie 12, Antonio 4, and Charles 5/12. Martin's occupation is a Tailor. My speculation is that Katie and Cassie are the same person and John died before 1905. Genealogical research is a slow, tedious process which requires a lot of patience and perseverance. My Grandfather's surname was spelled differently on every census. Carl J

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 9th, 2017, 1:57 pm #22

Hey Carl,

I get the slow process.
Spoke to a cousin of mine who is quite a bit older than me yesterday and she does remember Katherine who they called "Cassie".
I also discovered my grandfather's sister Margaret's maiden name whisch was "Kurila", had two sons and passed away in Ridge, NY in 2005.
I also found a "half" cousin named Dennis Smith who was born from a Lillian Mary Smith who was named Lillian Zinkarvitch for a short time. This is my father's oldest brother's kid and also confirmed by my cousin who is the half sister.
My father (and my mother for that matter) never spoke about their families when I was growing up. We were not close to any cousins except my aunt Dorothy who lived in the samre neighborhood and. of course, as a kid that's not your priority.
Getting into this, I initially wanted to confirm my Lithuanian heritage but, once you get started and the more you find out, the more it pulls you in and the more you want to know.
I never knew anything beyind my first cousins and aunts and uncles so this has opened a whole new world and I do truly appriciate the help.

Fred

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 10th, 2017, 4:12 pm #23

Perhaps you misspoke: Margaret's maiden name was not Kurila -- that was her married name. She has a son (your father's cousin) still living named John Kurila. I think he's still on Gerritsen Ave in Brooklyn.

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 10th, 2017, 4:54 pm #24

yeah I ment married name
I also think that the John Jay (3 years old) on the 1900 census may actually be my greatgrandmother's brother who shows up as a household member as John Bonsine on the 1910 census (13 years old) and as John Buzzant (33 years old maybe a mistake).My greatgrandmother's maiden is "similar" (Besatz, Buzas) Would like your opinion on this

Thanks for all your help Gee Jay

Fred

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 10th, 2017, 6:26 pm #25

Yes, I think he was certainly Mary's brother. The correct surname was probably Bužonas.

I found them on the 1920 and 1930 US census and the 1905 and 1915 New York census, but not on the 1910 US census. What surname was used for the "Zinks" ;) that year?

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 10th, 2017, 6:40 pm #26

Zinkevitiekus

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 10th, 2017, 7:20 pm #27

sorry wrong censud
it was Zenkevitchs

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 10th, 2017, 7:23 pm #28

bad day that was a borders names
it was definetly "Zewkevitiekus"
thanks

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 11th, 2017, 1:19 pm #29

Fred, Possible brother of Mary: John Buzaes b. 1892 Lithuania d. 23 Sep 1935 Brooklyn, NY Residence: 960 Grand Ave. Not married. Bartender. Father: Tony Buzaes Mother: Constance Oliega. Buried 26 Sep 1935 ST John's Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY. Carl J

vance visuals
vance visuals

April 11th, 2017, 8:01 pm #30

Thanks again Carl,

Saying that a lot bit I would not have gotten nowhere nears as far as I have without yours and Gee jay's help.
Now I also have my greatgrandmother's maiden name and another part of the mystery solved.
a few things (really a lot) to clear up in the states and attempt to backtrack overseas but how right you were. I have 15 seperate reports and 15 different spellings of what ended up as "Zinkarvitch."
That spelling, it appears, was only used by my grandfather and his children and their children.
Going to start looking for 1) My greatgrand parents immagration records and 2) my grandfather's brother Charles and sister Katherine or Cassie.

Let you know if I find anything.

Fred