St Johns, Portugal Street, District of Gorbals, Glasgow

St Johns, Portugal Street, District of Gorbals, Glasgow

Chris
Chris

May 22nd, 2009, 12:21 pm #1

Using information from relatives, I was able to track down one of my ancestors using the Scotland's People site. My great grand aunt was married at this church in Glasgow.

I'm trying to find out more information about this parish, and whether it is possible to get access to an archive of their Register. I'd be primarily interested in the 1887 - 1920 timeframe.

However, it is my understanding that this parish was closed and demolished. I looked at the satellite photos on google maps, and don't see any buildings that look like a church. Portugal Street looks very short.

Any background would appreciated.

Julie
Julie

October 23rd, 2011, 1:34 am #2

Did you ever find out anything about this church? My great-grandparents were married there.

Julie

Bill
Bill

February 18th, 2012, 11:53 pm #3

Unfortunately, St John's Catholic Church that was on Portugal Street, in Glasgow, Scottland, was torn down in 1962 by the person who was the Cardinal at the time.

Bill
Bill

February 18th, 2012, 11:55 pm #4

Using information from relatives, I was able to track down one of my ancestors using the Scotland's People site. My great grand aunt was married at this church in Glasgow.

I'm trying to find out more information about this parish, and whether it is possible to get access to an archive of their Register. I'd be primarily interested in the 1887 - 1920 timeframe.

However, it is my understanding that this parish was closed and demolished. I looked at the satellite photos on google maps, and don't see any buildings that look like a church. Portugal Street looks very short.

Any background would appreciated.
Unfortunately, St John's Catholic Church that was on Portugal Street, in Glasgow, Scottland, was torn down in 1962 by the person who was the Cardinal at the time. My great-great-great grandparents Michael Gorman and Marjorie Gair Duncan were married their on April 18, 1856 - just before emigrating to Hingham, Massachusetts.

Bill Cepull
Bill Cepull

July 12th, 2012, 1:54 pm #5

My wife's 3G-Grandfather is also named Michael Gorman, did he have a daughter named Ellen that married a John McGowan in Pennsylvania?