Ed
Ed

March 28th, 2010, 9:06 am #2

Skola is a debt

Tom S.
Tom S.

March 28th, 2010, 8:39 pm #3

Is Skola a given name? or a title?
What document did you come across that SKOLA entry?

Tom S.

Barbara
Barbara

March 29th, 2010, 12:38 pm #4

Hello, thank you for your response, the following is a copy of entry source. Ancestry,com: U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995 about Skola Anna Smigelskis. She signed her card in her own handwriting. First given name I think reads Skola, or that at least what the transcriber typed in, Thanks, Barbara

Tom S.
Tom S.

March 29th, 2010, 6:31 pm #5

Barbara,

It does look like SKOLA but you can tell that writing her signature was a struggle. I'd suggest getting other documents, including the naturalization paperwork that the index refers to, and see what they say.

Is the 1930 Census entry in Suffolk County, Massachusetts her and her family:

Stephen Smigelskis
age 47
1st married at 22
born Lithuania
arrived 1908 - Alien
Truck Driver

Annie - wife
age 49
1st married at 24
born Lithuania
arrived 1910 - Alien

Michael - son
age 18
born Massachusetts

Nellie - daughter
age 15
born Massachusetts

Veronica -daughter
age 9
born Massachusetts

Tom S.

John Peters
John Peters

March 29th, 2010, 8:02 pm #6

Hello, thank you for your response, the following is a copy of entry source. Ancestry,com: U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995 about Skola Anna Smigelskis. She signed her card in her own handwriting. First given name I think reads Skola, or that at least what the transcriber typed in, Thanks, Barbara
Barbara,

I think that "Skola" may well be a shortened form of Skolastika, a not very common given name either in Lithuania or in America, and one that I could easily imagine being shortened.

Such short forms of Lithuanian given names is and has been very common. Juozapas, Joseph, is usually shortened to Juoazas; Kazimieras often changed to Kazys and Stanislovas to Stasys.

John Peters