Shilae ancestry

Shilae ancestry

Tom
Tom

May 29th, 2012, 5:55 pm #1

I am researching my family's ancestry which my brothers and I know very little about. My dad's parents were both born in Lithuania. His name Bernardas Shilale, Silale and from my grandfathers obituary he came to the US from Daugai, Lithuania. He was not married when he came to the US. I believe he was born around August 1875. His fathers name was Peter and his mother was Agatha Kairis. I cannot find any records of when or where he arrive in the US.
My grandmother Petronilla, Petrone, Petronia was born around 1880 and her maiden name was Skliutas,Sklucirrte, Sluchkas, Sklutaite . Various documents had different spellings. Cannot find any information of where in Lithuania she was from. Her parents names were Matthew Sklutas and Eva Tatulis.
They were married in Worcester, Mass at St Casmir Church in 1906. They live in Worcester until their deaths, Bernardas in 1942 and Petrone in 1949.
Bernardas had a brother and a sister, Anthony and Victoria. From the records Anthony lived in Los Angeles CA. and Victoria, wife of Joseph Sklutas in Lithuania.
There is a possibility my grandparents knew each other before coming to the US.

Any information about my family's ancestry would be greatly appreciated.

Tom S.
Tom S.

May 30th, 2012, 12:53 pm #2

Tom,

Try getting a copy of the church marriage register (likely written in Latin) which may list the churches in Lithuania where they were baptized as well as having the names of their parents.

Birth records from that era were created by the churches and you need to know the church where the records are from in order for anyone to do research in Lithuanian archives.

Tom S.

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

May 30th, 2012, 9:03 pm #3

I am researching my family's ancestry which my brothers and I know very little about. My dad's parents were both born in Lithuania. His name Bernardas Shilale, Silale and from my grandfathers obituary he came to the US from Daugai, Lithuania. He was not married when he came to the US. I believe he was born around August 1875. His fathers name was Peter and his mother was Agatha Kairis. I cannot find any records of when or where he arrive in the US.
My grandmother Petronilla, Petrone, Petronia was born around 1880 and her maiden name was Skliutas,Sklucirrte, Sluchkas, Sklutaite . Various documents had different spellings. Cannot find any information of where in Lithuania she was from. Her parents names were Matthew Sklutas and Eva Tatulis.
They were married in Worcester, Mass at St Casmir Church in 1906. They live in Worcester until their deaths, Bernardas in 1942 and Petrone in 1949.
Bernardas had a brother and a sister, Anthony and Victoria. From the records Anthony lived in Los Angeles CA. and Victoria, wife of Joseph Sklutas in Lithuania.
There is a possibility my grandparents knew each other before coming to the US.

Any information about my family's ancestry would be greatly appreciated.
Tom, Per Ancestry.com: 1910 Census 24 Harlem St, Worcester, Mass. Bernard SLUCHKAS 32 wife Patrova 30, children Adolphus 2, and Peter 7/12, sister Veronica 25, and brother Tony 27. Bernard & Patrova indicate they came to the US in 1905, Victoria in 1907 and Tony in 1906. WWI Draft card (1918): Barmas SHILALE 31 Washburn St, Worcester, Mass. I don't know if you had this alternate surname but it may assist your search. Carl J