Robert Bontras / Baltrus Pitchalonis / Peculonez / Pieculones and Anna Eva Grabowski

Cindy Fegley
Cindy Fegley

July 21st, 2017, 11:27 pm #1

We are trying to locate information on my husband's paternal grandmother's family. Her name was Alice Marie Pitchalonis. She was born in Pennsylvania on 29 July 1915. Her parents, as known to the family, were Robert (Robertson?)Bontras Pitchalonis and (Anna) Eva Grabosky. Robert and Eva were the first Pitchalonis to show up on a U.S. Census in 1900. In addition to Alice, who was the youngest, their other children included Joseph, born in 1904; Albert, born in 1906; Charles, born in 1907; William, born in 1909; and Anna Eva, born in 1912.

We have no information on any family, parents/siblings/grandparents/aunts/uncles, etc., for Robert. Eva's death certificate from 1923, indicates her parents were Cher or Ches Grabosky and Darata Grabosky. Various U.S. Census indicate they (Robert and Eva) arrived around 1899. Where they are from is a bit more complicated. Some things say their nationality is Russian, others Lithuanian, still others Polish. Suwalki is given as the possible birthplace of Eva, as well as the place of death of her parents. We believe Robert and Eva were married in PA in February 1900. There is a marriage record from 19 February 1900 with similar names and birth years as Robert and Eva, but with so many differences in names, dates and places on the various documents, it is impossible to be certain.

What we are certain of is that their daughter, Alice Marie Pitchalonis, married Harold Fegley and had 7 children, 6 who survived childhood, the oldest of which, James Robert Fegley, was my husband's father. Unfortunately, he passed less than 2 years after my husband and I met, and well before I started this journey for my husband and our son.

Any information, suggestions, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

July 22nd, 2017, 2:20 am #2

Cindy: Per On-Line Schuylkill County Pennsylvania Marriage Docket: Book # 10- F221 between 1885-1915 Balteus Pieculonis married Annie Grabowski. Balteus is most likely Baltramiejaus. This is probably your Robert & Eva. Carl J

Cindy Fegley
Cindy Fegley

July 22nd, 2017, 3:06 am #3

Hi, Carl! I think you are correct as Schuylkill County is where the family lived. I just wish it showed who their parents were or where they were from, etc.

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

July 22nd, 2017, 10:53 am #4

Cindy: Per On-Line Schuylkill County Pennsylvania Marriage Docket: Book # 10- F221 between 1885-1915 Balteus Pieculonis married Annie Grabowski. Balteus is most likely Baltramiejaus. This is probably your Robert & Eva. Carl J
Cindy. "Battramir" PECULONIS age 20 arrived at the Port of New York on 19 Nov 1899 aboard the SS St Louis sailing from Southampton, England. His mother tongue is Lithuanian and he is a Roman Catholic. He is going to Gilberton to visit his bro-in-law G Karpowitz. He is passenger #12. Passenger #13 is Kazimir Grabowski also age 20 going to the same place. He may be a relative of Anna Eva Grabowski. If you want to pursue the marriage license you might phone or write the Schuylkill County Register & Clerk of Orphan's Court, 401 N 2nd St Pottsville, Pa 17901,tel 570-628-1382.

Cindy Fegley
Cindy Fegley

July 22nd, 2017, 11:50 pm #5

I appreciate your help and will let you know if I get anywhere with it!

Judith
Judith

July 23rd, 2017, 12:57 pm #6

Hi, Carl! I think you are correct as Schuylkill County is where the family lived. I just wish it showed who their parents were or where they were from, etc.
You can contact the County offices with their names and marriage and license number and request their application for marriage. This should show both sets of parents including mothers' maiden names

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

July 23rd, 2017, 8:19 pm #7

I appreciate your help and will let you know if I get anywhere with it!
Cindy, Familysearch.org has an image of the marriage license for Baltus Pieculonis b. 23 Dec 1877 in Russia and Annie Grabowski b. 13 Jan 1878 also in Russia. Both living in Gilberton, Pa. License issued 19 Feb 1900. Unfortunately parents names are not listed nor is town of birth. Carl J

Judith
Judith

July 24th, 2017, 3:03 pm #8

I saw the document Carl but I honestly don't know if this is the just the license or application. My grandparents were married in Pennsylvania and their application was much more detailed and had names of both parents including mother's maiden names. I would call the County to see if there is an actual application tion for license that had to be filled out

Cindy Fegley
Cindy Fegley

July 24th, 2017, 4:43 pm #9

You can contact the County offices with their names and marriage and license number and request their application for marriage. This should show both sets of parents including mothers' maiden names
Thank you, Judith. I have seen that document and attempted to use those names to track down more information, but I keep running into more roadblocks...additional variations of the names and no way to verify if it is really them or not.

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

July 24th, 2017, 6:50 pm #10

I saw the document Carl but I honestly don't know if this is the just the license or application. My grandparents were married in Pennsylvania and their application was much more detailed and had names of both parents including mother's maiden names. I would call the County to see if there is an actual application tion for license that had to be filled out
Judith. I had three relatives who married after 1912 in Schuylkill County and the Marriage Appilcaton included the parents names . I think that prior to about 1912 the parents were not included in the application unless the person was a minor.