National Archives. The Catalogue

National Archives. The Catalogue

MST
MST

October 25th, 2012, 11:50 am #1

Paul

I noticed that you have searched for some records from Bellshill.

Just as a matter of interest have you ever tried using the catalogue on the NA website?

I try with a keyword such as Bellshill and HO for the department. This brings up quite a few naturalisations. I have tried it with a number of places such as Widnes and Wishaw and HO and it brings up naturalisations.

You can try it with other codes such as WO and FO.

Tom,

I found this entry whilst playing around with the above.

HO 334/383/34236

Naturalisation Certificate: Juozas Armonas. From Lithuania. Resident in Craigneuk, near Wishaw, Lanarkshire. Certificate BNA34236 issued 29 October 1954. Note(s): Alias: Joseph Armonas.

1954 Oct 29

Could this be Arminas?

MST
MST

October 25th, 2012, 12:53 pm #2

There is a family living in the Haydock area (near Liverpool) on the 1911 census with this surname.

There is also a marriage of a single female on the BMD in the same area. Could also be Arminas

Tom S.
Tom S.

October 25th, 2012, 2:42 pm #3

Maureen,

Thanks for the information. I had researched ARMINAS in the ITS Archives to see how many were DPs. Some emigrated to the UK. Let me see if Juozas might be one of the records I saved.

Iki.

Tom

MST
MST

October 25th, 2012, 5:21 pm #4

Hello Tom,

There is Juozas's Naturalisation in 1954. He may have been a DP.

Then there is an Arminas family on the 1911 census in Haydock, Lancashire.
There is also a marriage of a single female in thesame area.

There is also an Arminas family leaving Carfin (Scotland) for the US stating their place of birth (adults) as Vilkaviskis.

MST
MST

October 25th, 2012, 5:29 pm #5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arminutie Jonieszka Warrington 8c 341

Waitkunas Simonas Warrington 8c 341

Marriage of what could be a relative of the Haydock Arminas family. Same area and time scale.

Tom S.
Tom S.

October 25th, 2012, 6:42 pm #6

Hello Tom,

There is Juozas's Naturalisation in 1954. He may have been a DP.

Then there is an Arminas family on the 1911 census in Haydock, Lancashire.
There is also a marriage of a single female in thesame area.

There is also an Arminas family leaving Carfin (Scotland) for the US stating their place of birth (adults) as Vilkaviskis.
Maureen,

The Arminas surname is concentrated in the area around Vilkaviskis and westward towards Virbalis.

I found an Arminas living just a couple of miles from the birthplace of my grandmother but I still need to write him and see if there is a connection.

Tom S.

MST
MST

October 26th, 2012, 11:11 am #7

Hello Tom,

http://newton-le-willows.com/history/vi ... f=1&t=1445

Take a look at the posts from a lady called Barbara. It would seem that her great grandmother was the Arminas that was married to Vaitkunas on the BMD. she says in her post that the Arminas family lived nearby and was probably related. This was a small community and in the same area as Widnes.

Regards

Maureen

Tom S.
Tom S.

November 1st, 2012, 12:48 pm #8

Maureen,

Malonu. I contacted the poster regarding the Arminas surname and we are exchanging information.

My family survived Hurricane Sandy and we actually didn't lose eletric power. New York City was not so fortunate.

Tom S.

MST
MST

November 2nd, 2012, 1:49 am #9

Hello Tom,

I am glad that you managed to get through the hurricane. It looked terrible in NY and I have been reading about people that have lost relatives in the floods. My thoughts have been with them.

I am sure that this Arminas family will be connected to your grandmother because most of the Lithuanians in this area came from the Vilkaviskis District. Be interesting if you can make a connection. I'm assuming that it is your Steponatis relative that is the Arminas link.

Tom S.
Tom S.

November 2nd, 2012, 1:29 pm #10

Maureen,

It's actually from my grandfather's mother's side. See was a PRASAUSKAS (born circa 1860) and her mother's maiden name was ARMINAS.

This was confirmed from her 1937 death certificate from Virbalis which was filled out by her younger sister. It even had the name of the estate/dvaras that she was born on.

Tom