name from obituary

name from obituary

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

May 7th, 2017, 3:03 am #1

I have my grandmother's printed obituary, Margaret Selvenis. It states that she was born in Lithuania (Birstonas) and that her parents were Adam and Rose Zenliauskas Kedris. Would this be a combination of her mother's name and her father's name? If so, which is the mother's maiden name? Thanks for any help with this. Her parents did not immigrate. I haven't been able to find Kedris in any of the census records. Star Lakavage

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

May 7th, 2017, 3:19 pm #2

Star, If this the John & Margaret Selvenis from Scranton, Pa, they had a son Joseph John Selvenis b. 1922-1998. On his Social Security Application he lists John Selvenis & Margaret "KEDERIS" as his parents. Hence, Adam KEDERIS would be her father and Rose Zenliauskas, her mother. Carl J

zemaitis
zemaitis

May 7th, 2017, 5:06 pm #3

I have my grandmother's printed obituary, Margaret Selvenis. It states that she was born in Lithuania (Birstonas) and that her parents were Adam and Rose Zenliauskas Kedris. Would this be a combination of her mother's name and her father's name? If so, which is the mother's maiden name? Thanks for any help with this. Her parents did not immigrate. I haven't been able to find Kedris in any of the census records. Star Lakavage
real Lithuanian should be KEDERYS. Did she born in 1890?

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

May 7th, 2017, 9:43 pm #4

Star, If this the John & Margaret Selvenis from Scranton, Pa, they had a son Joseph John Selvenis b. 1922-1998. On his Social Security Application he lists John Selvenis & Margaret "KEDERIS" as his parents. Hence, Adam KEDERIS would be her father and Rose Zenliauskas, her mother. Carl J
Joseph was my uncle by Margaret's second husband. I knew him well. The Kederis has taken a few hits on spellings over the years and documents. It's not the same spelling as on her oldest daughter's marriage license. Sometimes Uncle Joe spelled Kederis as Kedris so one never really is 200% certain.

I figured that the Zenliauskas was most likely her mother's name but was not 100% sure. Just thought I'd make sure I was chasing the best name out of the numerous spellings/misspellings/spouses.

Thanks for the verification.
Star

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

May 7th, 2017, 9:46 pm #5

real Lithuanian should be KEDERYS. Did she born in 1890?
She was born about late 1880's or early 1890 in Birstonas. I've searched on Kederys, Kvederys, Kedris and Kederis. I've never found any records under Kederys or Kvederys but usually under some form of Kederis or Kedris. I even have a copy of my parents wedding certificate where it's listed as Karius. Well...

Thanks!
Star using the latest version of our last name, Lakavage...

ze
ze

May 8th, 2017, 3:55 am #6

Be sure, Kederys is correct surname as can be. Some Kederys families still live around Birštonas. Are you sure that Margaret is not changed name? Do you know her siblings names?

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

May 8th, 2017, 11:39 am #7

There are several versions of her first name-I've found her as Maggie, Margaret and Magdelena. We have her as Margaret on her obituary, Maggie on a marriage certificate for one of her children and I believe in a 1920 census. My uncle gave me the name Magdelena Rose. I don't think I've ever seen the Rose show up in any documentation.

I believe there is a brother Antana (sp?) but he did not immigrate-or at least Uncle Joe said he did not immigrate. Not sure if he was older or younger.

I'm checking with a cousin to see if he or anyone has any other documentation. Not sure how successful that effort will be but we'll see. I don't think I've ever met this cousin or if I did, it's been years ago.

Thanks again for your interest! My husband is a dedicated and successful genealogist but his names are mostly Anglo or a few Germanics thrown in to spice things up. He's a little more than flummoxed when I show him yet another spelling of my last name. The latest shows up in the 1920 census as Lagavich-I only recognized it by seeing the first names and my father's with about his correct age along with his sister, his father's occupation and their address. I believe I'm up to 7 significant variations of his surname. yay...
Star

zemaitis
zemaitis

May 8th, 2017, 1:36 pm #8

Magdalena is more close to true. Margaret or any Lithuanian form of this name was not very common here. But I'm not sure about her mother maiden name. There is possibility to look and find them in church books.

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

May 9th, 2017, 1:23 am #9

My plan is to contact the church that took over the records for the St Joseph's Lithuanian Church in Scranton-can't remember the name off the top of my head. I know that's the church she went to-I have First Communion certificates for 2 of her daughters and a school completion certificate for my father, Peter. I was fairly certain the name was Magdelena, just from looking at other first names and rarely seeing Margaret but I have seen a few Magdelenas show up. Just not mine!

Thanks again,
Star

zemaitis
zemaitis

May 9th, 2017, 4:50 am #10

I mean here, in Lithuania.