Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

2:19 AM - May 11, 2017 #11

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize where you were geographically. My short term plan is to contact Magdelena's church in Scranton, to see if they have a more accurate spelling. It was a Lithuanian Church so I'm assuming someone handled the names more correctly and may have a more accurate date of her immigration to the US. The Lithuanian versions of the children's names appear on their First Communion certificates as well as my father's school completion certificates. From what I can remember from my Uncle, I believe her church in Birstonas was St Anthony (of Padua).

zemaitis
zemaitis

6:52 AM - May 11, 2017 #12

Yes, I know. Some records are digitized. And if you know Lithuanian, old style Russian, Polish you can find them there. If not you can ask someone to do this. I live 35 km from Birstonas.

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

4:20 PM - May 28, 2017 #13

Zemaitis,
Oh my goodness-I didn't realize where you were! Can you tell me, is the St Anthony of Padua Church still active? I am fairly certain that is the church of my grandmother's family. My uncle (Joseph Selvenis) and his sister (Mary Gilbode) had photos of the church in Birstonas but the photo has long slipped out of our hands. I remember seeing the photo and can remember the name started with an AN. Thank you for any help,
Star Lakavage

zemaitis
zemaitis

7:36 AM - May 31, 2017 #14

http://www.panoramas.lt/m_katalog.php?p_id=869&lg=4
If you need more details please provide your email address.

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

3:34 AM - Jul 16, 2017 #15

real Lithuanian should be KEDERYS. Did she born in 1890?
Zemaitis
I'm not sure I ever responded to your message. Magdelena Kederis Lekevicius/Lekevitch/Lakavage Selvenis was born around 1890. She shows up in the 1920 census (under Lagavich) as being 30.

Star Lakavage

zemaitis
zemaitis

6:29 AM - Jul 16, 2017 #16

I think there is possibility to find her birth record.

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

1:06 PM - Jul 17, 2017 #17

http://www.panoramas.lt/m_katalog.php?p_id=869&lg=4
If you need more details please provide your email address.
I finally followed up on the link to the church photos that you sent-THANK YOU! I found St. Anthony in Birstonas but not sure if this is the same church--first, I can only vaguely remember the photo but second, my grandmother, Magdelena Kederis left around 1903. According to the info with the photos, the current church was started in 1903. Possibly the photo we had was of the completed new church, sent as a reminder of home? Just not sure. But what a beautiful church! I can't imagine how sacred a mass would have seemed in that church!

My uncle, Joseph Selvenis, had a number of my grandmother's papers and photos but when he died, his wife kept all of that and we have no idea what happened to it after his death or hers. Even tho I stayed in touch with his wife after my uncle's death, let's just say the relationship between his wife and my family was not the friendliest. It happens.

Thanks again! What a pleasant way to spend some time looking at those photos!
Star Lakavage

Star Lakavage
Star Lakavage

1:07 PM - Jul 17, 2017 #18

I think there is possibility to find her birth record.
Any idea how? Thanks,
Star Lakavage

zemaitis
zemaitis

1:21 PM - Jul 17, 2017 #19

Please provide your email address for further correspondence.