Laukaitis/Zemaiczuke, Bellshill Lithuanians - Can anyone help me?

Laukaitis/Zemaiczuke, Bellshill Lithuanians - Can anyone help me?

Mo Millward
Mo Millward

November 4th, 2007, 3:29 pm #1

Hi everyone

Thanks to the guidance from Paul, I believe that I have now managed to locate both Jonas Laukaitis and Marijona (Maria) Zemaiczuke (Zemaitis) on the Hamburg passenger lists.

Jonas comes from Sulvakija, I believe from the town Wladislawow (now known as Kudirkos Naumiestis). Does anyone know where records are for this town?

Marijona is listed as being a resident of "Niedelpe" or "Viedelpe". I'm not sure of the writing. I have saved it as a jpeg so I can email it out if anyone else wants a go at looking at it.
Does anyone have any idea about this town? I can't find any trace of it on the internet and so it must be a spelling mistake on the passenger list.

They were married in Scotland in 1910 & I have both their parents' names from that certificate and have listed them on the post I did on this forum yesterday.

Many thanks
Mo.

John Peters
John Peters

November 4th, 2007, 5:21 pm #2

Mo,

If you send me the file, I'd be glad to look at it and give an opinion.

John Peters

John Peters
John Peters

November 4th, 2007, 5:25 pm #3

Hi everyone

Thanks to the guidance from Paul, I believe that I have now managed to locate both Jonas Laukaitis and Marijona (Maria) Zemaiczuke (Zemaitis) on the Hamburg passenger lists.

Jonas comes from Sulvakija, I believe from the town Wladislawow (now known as Kudirkos Naumiestis). Does anyone know where records are for this town?

Marijona is listed as being a resident of "Niedelpe" or "Viedelpe". I'm not sure of the writing. I have saved it as a jpeg so I can email it out if anyone else wants a go at looking at it.
Does anyone have any idea about this town? I can't find any trace of it on the internet and so it must be a spelling mistake on the passenger list.

They were married in Scotland in 1910 & I have both their parents' names from that certificate and have listed them on the post I did on this forum yesterday.

Many thanks
Mo.

Mo,

If you send me the JPG file, I'd be glad to look at it and give an opinion.

John Peters

Marie
Marie

November 4th, 2007, 6:33 pm #4

Hi everyone

Many thanks
Mo.

About the town name you are seeking, might it start with a K and end with -je (instead of -pe)? On the on-line Lithuanian phone directory, looking for surnames Zemaitis in the Sakai region, there are some listed in the town Kiduliai. In Lithuanian, place names ending with -je mean inside the town of. Place name-endings vary according to language usage. Also you may want to look at some manifests for Ellis Island. There are several arriving from Scotland with spellings of Annie Laukaitis, and Adomas Lankaitis. I'm not sure if you can find anything to connect them to your family, but the data base is free to search. These are just some suggestions.

Paul Lucas
Paul Lucas

November 4th, 2007, 7:35 pm #5

I had a look at the jpg file - it looks like it begins with a V or a badly written K and it looks like it ends with S or A ?

Marie
Marie

November 4th, 2007, 8:18 pm #6

Having just looked at the manifest,I don't think the first letter is a V, because W was usually used in place of V, altho anything is possible. I question the writing of the letter that looks like d. Comparing it to the other d's in the town names listed above that one, Wlad-, Rad-, those d's are looped at the top, and look different. But having said that, I don't know what else it could be. To me the first letter does look more like N. I'll try studying the manifest again.

John Peters
John Peters

November 4th, 2007, 8:25 pm #7

Hi everyone

Many thanks
Mo.

Mo,

Unfortunately and unusually, the writer uses different strokes for his or her initial letters. The initial "m" in "Mikol" with its sharp "tops" on the upstrokes on line 6 strongly suggests the initial letter "n" for Maria's village.

Yet the initial "m" in Maria's name is written in an entirely different manner, with rounded "tops" to the upstrokes", which would lead one to rule out the town name beginning with "n" and point towards the only other initial letter that seems plausible is "v."

On the other hand, most names and places that one would expect to begin with "v" begin in fact with "w", suggesting that a German or Pole wrote the names. In this case, one would expect that no name would begin with "v", yet the name "Valenty" on image 200 of the manifest on ancestry.com clearly begins with "V" and with a little circular beginning that one does not see in Maria's town, again suggesting "n" as the intial letter.

The only letters about which I believe am confident about are "?ie?pes". I'm not convinced that the 3rd letter is "d", but might instead be "r" or even "t". And the "-lpes" might be "-lpzes" or "-ltzes."

If one were to spend more time studying other names on other pages of the manifest written by the same writer, I think one might have a better chance of deciphering this town name.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

John Peters

Mo Millward
Mo Millward

November 4th, 2007, 8:59 pm #8

Hi everyone

Many thanks
Mo.

Thanks everyone who has been trying to help me. It's difficult with the Lithuanian/German/Russian names all being new to me.
I've been looking on old maps on the internet but still can't see anything like this name. I think I'll have to see if I can compare it with other pages.

Does anyone know if there is a way on Ancestry.com to access other pages in the same Manifest?

Many thanks
Mo

Paul Lucas
Paul Lucas

November 4th, 2007, 9:07 pm #9

Having just looked at the manifest,I don't think the first letter is a V, because W was usually used in place of V, altho anything is possible. I question the writing of the letter that looks like d. Comparing it to the other d's in the town names listed above that one, Wlad-, Rad-, those d's are looped at the top, and look different. But having said that, I don't know what else it could be. To me the first letter does look more like N. I'll try studying the manifest again.
What about your original suggestion of a K

Are there variants of Klaipedia?

Marie
Marie

November 4th, 2007, 9:43 pm #10

I hadn't actually seen the manifest yet, and based that suggestion of the town on the phone directory listings. I have tried finding the town using shtetl seeker, but still no luck, not in LT, Poland, Germany, Austria or Russia. However, I could not find the town listed for the passenger above her either on the maps.lt website. Looks like someone was creative in their spelling of towns. I've got a few more rocks to look under.