help with name please

help with name please

Lesley Frame
Lesley Frame

November 9th, 2007, 5:02 pm #1

Can anyone have a guess at a name i've come accross for a relation. It looks like either Plivdor or Flivdor, of couse with the writing and my eyesight it could be anything, but all the others are the usual Juozas, Antanas etc so i'm stumped. would welcome any comments
Thanks
Lesley

Marie
Marie

November 9th, 2007, 11:25 pm #2

I have not seen a name like that, but I just wanted to say that if it's a male, most first names end is the letter S, and many end in -as. Could that be the ending on what you are trying to read?

Lesley Frame
Lesley Frame

November 10th, 2007, 1:09 pm #3

Can anyone have a guess at a name i've come accross for a relation. It looks like either Plivdor or Flivdor, of couse with the writing and my eyesight it could be anything, but all the others are the usual Juozas, Antanas etc so i'm stumped. would welcome any comments
Thanks
Lesley
Feel like an idiot now, had another look and comparing it with further down the manifest the name would seeem to be Theodor. Is this a Lithuanian Christian name? Haven't seen it before.
Lesley

Richard Lukminas
Richard Lukminas

November 10th, 2007, 3:57 pm #4

Dear Lesley,
The name could be Teodoras in Lithuanian. In English, Theodore. It certainly is a Lithuanian Christian name.

Sincerely,
Richard Lukminas

John Peters
John Peters

November 10th, 2007, 5:32 pm #5

Thanks
Lesley
Lesley,

Lithuanian does not generally use the letter "f" except for foreign words or names beginning with that letter or sound, like "frontas" for front or "fase" for phase. There are a very few Lithuanian surnames beginning with "Fli-" in the current online phone book.

Likewise, the letter combination "th" is not used in the language, but it uses "t" alone, thus Lietuva rather than Liethuva.

John Peters

Lesley Frame
Lesley Frame

November 11th, 2007, 1:04 pm #6

Thanks
Lesley
Thank you all for input. I'm pretty certain now that it is a form of Teodoras. I'm quietly confident that i have tracked down where ggrandfathers brothers went to in US- One i can trace to ww2 draft card, with name change to Joe Martin from Slapikas, but i can find nothing on brother Teodor. I will search on!Is there anywhere on line to access census records for Pennsylvania after 1930's ?
Thanks again
Lesley

John Peters
John Peters

November 11th, 2007, 2:04 pm #7

Hey, Lesley,

For privacy reasons, the law in the U.S. prohibits the release of Census data (taken every 10 years) until 70 have elapsed, so the the Census for 1940 will not be made public until 2010.

In Lithuania now, it is a 100 year interval, so I was lucky to get my father's records from 1908 before the new law there.

John Peters

Lesley Frame
Lesley Frame

November 11th, 2007, 7:42 pm #8

Hi John
Thanks for the information. What a pity, but i suppose it's to respect peoples privacy. I'll just have to try something else or wait 5 years until i'm even greyer and wrinklier than now. At least i know the names and have confirmed their place of origin in Lithuania, in that respect i'm luckier than many.
Thanks again
Lesley