Jankauskas
Jankauskas

September 20th, 2017, 7:14 pm #11

1900 Census Bristol, Hartford, Conn. 277 Terryville Rd. Andrew Rakutis b. Nov 1876, Russia, Occupation: Iron Moulder. Came to USA in 1899. Listed as a boarder in the home of Joseph & Annie Jonkites. On 28 Sep 1907 sailing on the SS Main from Bremen, Germany and arriving at the Port of New York on 12 Oct 1907 is "Ona" Brogis age 21 going to visit her father Mateus Brogis at 18 Tower St, Bristol, Conn. Her mother is Katerina Brogis living in "Leiui, Wigreli, Suwalki" (hard to read). "Ona" may be "Eva" Brogis.
Looking at the name "Ona" on the ship manifest it could well be "Eva". The town she came from may be (pre World War I) Seinai, Suwalki province, Russain Empire. The "L" in the town may very well be an "S".

J N
J N

September 22nd, 2017, 1:11 pm #12

When "Ona" Brogis came to the US in 1907 she stated she was going to visit her father Mateus Brogis in Bristol, Conn. City Directories for 1904 & 1905 show a Matusz Brogis employee of A. Terry Co, bds Green, Peguabuck living in Bristol, Conn. In the 1910 Directory for New Britain, Conn. is a Matty Brogis living at 52 Lawlor St. The english translation for Matusz would most likely be Matthew. On 25 Apr 1922 1922 Stanley Brogis b. 15 Sep 1892, living in New Britain, Conn. applied for a passport to visit his family in Lithuania and return within 6 months. Attached to the passport application is the text of a letter he received written by his mother on 7 Jan 1922 from Lithuania. In part of the letter she said, "and now I thank you for helping "Eva" and her children with clothing". My speculation is the Stanley may be Eva's brother or a close relative. In the application Stanley states he was born in Libau, Russia. "Stanislaw Braugis" orignally arrived in the USA in 1913. Carl J
I'll have to look up some of these documents on Ancestry. I have some third-hand records that seem to corroborate that Stanley was in fact Eva's brother. That's from my mother who had talked with two of Eva's children (Eva's children would be my grandmother and great-aunt). People in the family that are still alive don't have much information. I find it pretty interesting that Meteus/Matusz/Matthew was in the US; I always figured Eva was the first / first generation on that line of the family. I'm excited to see that passport application letter; I hope I can find it.

Thanks so much for all of the help!

J N
J N

September 22nd, 2017, 7:38 pm #13

When "Ona" Brogis came to the US in 1907 she stated she was going to visit her father Mateus Brogis in Bristol, Conn. City Directories for 1904 & 1905 show a Matusz Brogis employee of A. Terry Co, bds Green, Peguabuck living in Bristol, Conn. In the 1910 Directory for New Britain, Conn. is a Matty Brogis living at 52 Lawlor St. The english translation for Matusz would most likely be Matthew. On 25 Apr 1922 1922 Stanley Brogis b. 15 Sep 1892, living in New Britain, Conn. applied for a passport to visit his family in Lithuania and return within 6 months. Attached to the passport application is the text of a letter he received written by his mother on 7 Jan 1922 from Lithuania. In part of the letter she said, "and now I thank you for helping "Eva" and her children with clothing". My speculation is the Stanley may be Eva's brother or a close relative. In the application Stanley states he was born in Libau, Russia. "Stanislaw Braugis" orignally arrived in the USA in 1913. Carl J
Stanley Brogis's story seems pretty sad, the more I read into it. His brother-in-law paid his way over (if that's actually truthful. I've never heard of that person), and he works 5 years, at least part of the time in a rubber factory, and then gets drafted into the infantry where he's "WIA severely" (wounded in action), and discharged. He gets married sometime between 1920 and 1922, goes to France and gets ill and can't work. He has his dialog with his mother which you showed me -- it's really a sad letter. And by the 1930 census, his wife is deceased, and he's an inmate at an insane asylum -- I'm still trying to find some record of what on earth happened to cause this. Then he dies in August 1930 at age 34.

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

September 25th, 2017, 9:12 am #14

I'm hoping for any information on Eva; she married Stanley Jessen (was Stanislaus Jasinskas who was born 8 May 1885 in Wielkapieze, Lithuania) on 24 Jul 1922 in New Britain, Connecticut, USA.

Eva BROGIS Married Andrew Rakutis (born about 1877) -- I'd love anything else on Andrew as well, going backwards into Lithuania. Stanley's naturalization paperwork lists her as having been born in "Rekatijos, Russia" (the paperwork was filled out in 1940). He filled out another sheet which was typed "Rekatyos, Lithuania". Google can't find this place's existence.

I'm trying to get back through a block; Eva would be my Great-Grandmother. From her obit in 1961, she arrived 55 years prior, so about 1906.
I suspect the town Eva Brogis was born in was "Reketja" and Stanley in the town of "Liubavas". They are very close to each other.

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

September 25th, 2017, 9:24 am #15

Reketija is correct spelling

J N
J N

September 26th, 2017, 4:20 pm #16

I suspect the town Eva Brogis was born in was "Reketja" and Stanley in the town of "Liubavas". They are very close to each other.
Thanks!