Deportations from UK from 1917 to 1931

Deportations from UK from 1917 to 1931

Paul Lucas
Paul Lucas

October 19th, 2012, 9:16 am #1

After some fantastic help from a lady called Frances in Edinburgh, we have found the Home Office files for the deportations of the men in 1917-1919 and the families in 1919/1920 and later.

Frances and I are 99% sure that "undesirable Poles and Russians" = Lithuanians from Scotland and elsewhere. Many thanks to Frances !

Next week, I will go to the National Archives in Kew and view the two files. The first is 317 pages and the National Archives charge 1 pound per page, so I need to check the files first.

Reference:HO 144/13339
ALIENS (see also Nationality and Naturalisation): Repatriation of Russian political refugees and deportation of undesirable Poles and Russians after the revolution of 1917
Date: 1917-1918
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Former references: in its original department: 332758/1-121
Legal status: Public Record
Access conditions: Closed Until 2005
Record opening date: 23 September 2005

Reference:HO 144/13340
Home Office: Registered Papers, Supplementary. Nationality and Naturalisation. ALIENS (see also Nationality and Naturalisation): Repatriation of Russian political refugees and deportation of undesirable Poles and Russians after the revolution of 1917.
Collection: Records created or inherited by the Home Office, Ministry of Home Security, and related bodies
Date range: 01 January 1919 - 31 December 1931
Subjects:Nationality, Refugees

Paul Lucas
Paul Lucas

October 19th, 2012, 9:27 am #2

The files must contain personal data as they were closed until 2005.

Tom S.
Tom S.

October 19th, 2012, 12:14 pm #3

Paul,

Congratulations on finding the records. What surnames will you be looking for?

Tom S.

Paul Lucas
Paul Lucas

October 19th, 2012, 12:54 pm #4

There were 1,100 men deported in 1917 and 600 women and children in 1920.

Only 350 men returned. This is a truely shameful period of British history.

I hope that this will be a valuable resource for the Scottish Lithuanian community.

My great-uncle was deported as were two other members of my extended family.

Tom S.
Tom S.

October 19th, 2012, 3:39 pm #5

Paul,

When you review the list of names next week, can you check to see if you come across any of the following surnames:

Arminas
Prasauskas
Sadauskas
Senkus
Steponavicius
Ziugzda

I'm not aware of any ancestors having settled in Scotland but most of these surnames are rare and common form the same areas in Lithuania.

I think it's worth checking.

Good hunting.

Tom S.

Paul Lucas
Paul Lucas

October 23rd, 2012, 4:57 pm #6

All the records in both files pertain to the Russians and Poles in London or the Home Counties.

There was one record of interest:

there was a document from 15th March 1919

Mr J Klastaitis of 80 Main Street Bellshill requested repatriation for himself, his wife and their five children aged 11, 9, 7, 4, and 2.

There is an interesting letter from the end of 1919 referring to the Lithuanian women and children in Scotland - it uses "Lithuanian" which is unusual. I will transcribe it later tonight.

The records should be in the Scottish Office archives I assume ?

Tom S.
Tom S.

October 24th, 2012, 6:16 pm #7

It could be that since Lithuania became independent in 1918, it became okay to use the natioanlity in documents rather than the old term of "Russian".

Tom S.

Paul Lucas
Paul Lucas

October 24th, 2012, 11:28 pm #8

Tom, I will send you the letter as it is interesting that the Provisional Government of Lithuania wanted emigrants to return.

Paul

Tom S.
Tom S.

October 25th, 2012, 2:45 pm #9

Paul,

Thank you.

Two of the family surnames I am reserching are very rare in Lithuania with less than twenty families with the surname and mainly in SW Lithuania around Virbalis/Vilkaviskis.

One is Prasauskas (Prasauckas - old Lithuanian spelling) and the other is Arminas.

I'm not aware of specific people emigrating but I suspect they may have been siblings/cousins of the ones I have identified.

Tom S.

Norma Gooch
Norma Gooch

July 6th, 2014, 6:16 pm #10

My great grandmother's name was Domicella Prasauckas and she had 1 sister named Eva and 1 brother named Justinas. You can email me at gooched4ever@yahoo.ca if you require anymore information. I have some old photos of Justinas and his son John with my great grandmother and my grandmother.