Dantkus Family

Dantkus Family

Tomas Domeika
Tomas Domeika

November 10th, 2011, 9:37 pm #1

My mother's Baptism say her father's surname to be
Dantkus , 1920 census show name as Danto. Is Dantkus a lithuanian name. Records say he come from Kaunas.

John Peters
John Peters

November 11th, 2011, 1:07 am #2

Tomas,

The only sure sources to answer your question are: 1. People who are native Lithuanians who may know someone with this surname; 2. Phone book entries for the name.

I am not a native Lithuanian. The online phone book for Lithuania does not show any listing for a surname beginning DANTK-. There is a surname that comes close, namely, Dankis, which might sound a bit like Dantkus to a non-Lithuanian ear and so may have been tweaked a bit for Mr. Dankis' English-speaking neighbors. It is very uncommon, with only 4 listings in the country, all in the north in or near S^iauliai.

The ending "-o" is not typically Lithuanian, but there are few online phone book listing for folks named Dantas.

There is also the possibility that the surname was mis-transcribed where the letters "n" and "u" are often mistaken one for the other. In such a case, the name might begin DAUT-. There are listings in the phone book for the surname Daus^a (pronounced dau-shah) and Daukantas, which might be shorted in America to Daukas. There is also Daukas, again without the "t".

Prior to WWI, the vast majority of ethnic Lithuanians did not come from cities like Kaunas. But there was a province or gubernia of that same name during the Russian Empire which ruled the lands we now know as Lithuania (1795 to 1917). Immigrants often listed the province of their birth rather than the small settlement or village they were literally born in, much as one born in Angola, NY might say he was from "New York" rather than explain where exactly in the state he was from. Far and away ethnic Lithuanians were farm-based rather than town-based.

John Peters

John Peters
John Peters

November 11th, 2011, 1:16 am #3

I forgot to mention that in Lithuanian, the letter "e", either unmarked or with a little curly under it, is often pronounced like the letter "a" in the English word "hat." So the name might have been written as Dentkus but sounding like Dantkus. There are no listings in the online phone book for any surname beginning DENT-.

John Peters

Aina
Aina

January 21st, 2012, 10:56 pm #4

My mother's Baptism say her father's surname to be
Dantkus , 1920 census show name as Danto. Is Dantkus a lithuanian name. Records say he come from Kaunas.
I`m from Lithuania, and yes, Dantkus is a Lithuanian surname. The ending is "-us", which is very common for Lithuanian surnames. I don`t think it`s very useful for Mr. Peters to search for surnames in the phone book, because many Lithuanians don`t use home phones anymore, we mainly only use mobile phones. I`ve searched the surname "Dantkus" in facebook (that`s the best I could think of :D), and there is a person named Martynas Dantkus, who lives in Kaunas (or at least studied here), but I don`t think he could help you, because, as Mr. Peters said, "While theoretically true that anyone with the same surname is probably related, the relationships could also be so distant as to be untraceable. When one gets to 3 and 4 cousins, most people do not know their relationship since so many generations are involved.".

John Peters
John Peters

March 3rd, 2012, 4:45 pm #5

Aina,

First, I use the phone book mainly to find modern Lithuanian spellings of surnames, not in the expectation that descendants will be listed there. Sometimes I do so to find people with a surname being searched for as a basis for searchers to write to people now living in Lithuania with the same surname, especially if they are in small settlements and few in number.

I no longer make the disclaimer that there are probably more cell phone users than land line users in Lithuania today, though the phone book athttp://www.118.lt/gyventoju-paieska/ does include at least some cell phone users. The fact is that it is one of many resources to use in helping others in their quest for ancestry.

Facebook is also a good source but some of the folks who post messages here are older and do not use it -- including me, though I have an account there.

So I am not trying to mis-lead anyone by my use of the phone book, so I feel comfortable continuing to do so. Best of luck to you.

John Peters