Cook county BMD records now on-line

Cook county BMD records now on-line

Marie
Marie

July 10th, 2008, 11:32 pm #1

http://www.cookcountygenealogy.com/

This new Chicago resource is now available. There is free registration, but a fee for any reoord that you want to view.

Tom S.
Tom S.

July 11th, 2008, 5:37 am #2

I tried searching for a birth record from 1913 and didn't find it.

I tested the search tool using SMITH and it looks like the records on the site currently date back only to 1916.

I suspect they are still loading documents since they say they are continuing to update the site with additional documents.

Looks like we'll need to keep going back to the site to see how far they can go back with their records. It says 1872 is as far back as they go so there are still a bunch more to load.

Also, it doesn't look like the site utilizes a wild card (e.g., "*" or "%) search feature, just the Soundex Code.

Tom S.

Marie
Marie

July 11th, 2008, 9:07 am #3

While I am excited about this new on-line resource, I am somewhat disappointed that it is so limited, and yes, I am also finding that some records are not to be found. However, I did manage to find the maiden name of a person I am researching for a friend. I knew her married name, so I just did a search on the last name. I eliminated the female listings, and had 2 males left. I then did a search on the file numbers and year on each of the 2 men. When searching that way, you get the names of the couple that was married, so her name came up with one of them.

I read on the Cook county board at Rootsweb, that it is cheaper to order a birth record thru another site, $5, versus the $15 fee at this new site. But at least we can look and try various spellings.

Hopefully they will continue to tweak it.

Tom S.
Tom S.

July 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm #4

Marie,

Do you know if they send out an electronic copy to your email address or is it a hard copy via snail mail?

Tom

Marie
Marie

July 11th, 2008, 3:59 pm #5

I don't know for sure, but the chatter on Cook county message board indicates you get the record via the internet. They said the cheaper (and slower) way to get them is thru this web site http://www.chicagogenealogy.com/

I guess you can send an email to the site to request a more definite answer to your question.

Tom S.
Tom S.

July 11th, 2008, 6:01 pm #6

Marie,

I ordered a death certificate today (Friday). They said they would send me an electronic image in a zipped file.

I'll let everyone know how long it takes. I'm hoping I got the right person in my search.

Tom S.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 13th, 2008, 3:55 pm #7

http://www.cookcountygenealogy.com/

This new Chicago resource is now available. There is free registration, but a fee for any reoord that you want to view.
I clicked on "more information" and there are directions to look for a name by using Soundex. This might be of interest if you're having trouble. I do agree, this is a work in progress, it's definitely not complete.

Tom S.
Tom S.

July 14th, 2008, 7:47 pm #8

Marie,

I ordered a death certificate today (Friday). They said they would send me an electronic image in a zipped file.

I'll let everyone know how long it takes. I'm hoping I got the right person in my search.

Tom S.
I ordered the death certificate and they provided a tif file for me to download to my PC after I paid electronically.

It's the right record. I've been searching for information regarding what happened to my grandfather's sister for seven years. She died at age 24 in Chicago as the result of an infection related to a possible miscarriage.

Her husband, Jonas Baltramonaits, returned to Lithuania after WW I ended with their two children, Maria (born in Lithuania) and Kazys (born in Chicago).

The family's bad luck continued with Kazys Baltramonaitis. Kazys made it out of Lithunia in 1944 ahead of the advancing Russian army. He was in a U.S. DP camp in Wiesbaden, Germany on 2 July 1945 per the documents I found at the International Tracing Service (ITS) in Germany. He requested that he not be sent back to Bolshevik-controlled Lithuania. The card listed Chicago, Illinois as his birthplace.

It looks like U.S. authorities did not believe him because his DP card was annotated with the entry saying he was returned to the U.S.S.R. on 17 August 1945. He spent the rest of his life behind the Iron Curtain in Russian-controlled Lithuania.

Now I have to try and find her grave at St. Casimier's Cemetery.

Tom S.

Marie
Marie

July 15th, 2008, 11:16 am #9

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new web site. So it took about 3 days to get the record via the net?

Most definitely bad luck for your relatives. What a struggle they had.

Tom S.
Tom S.

July 15th, 2008, 9:33 pm #10

Marie,

They made the record available immediately after I paid. I wasn't smart enough to figure it out for a couple of days.

You pay and then log back into your account with them and there is the zipped file waiting to be opened.

Tom