Baniowski??

Baniowski??

Jim Tapley
Jim Tapley

April 5th, 2017, 1:20 pm #1

I am researching newly discovered Lithuanian heritage (I was adopted and recently discovered my birth mother's father was Lithuanian. According to the naturalization paper I've found on ancestry.com, my great grandfather (Joseph Deltuva) immigrated with his wife and children (including my grandfather) in 1911. Also, according to the paper, he was born in BANIOWSKI, LITHUANIA. I've searched and searched and cannot find any reference to that city.

Can anyone shed some light on Baniowski, Lithuania? Or does anyone know anything about the surname "Seimis" (my great grandmother's maiden name)?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

Gee Jay
Gee Jay

April 5th, 2017, 3:21 pm #2

Both those names were common in Liudvinavas. Nearby towns are Bartninkai and Barzdai. I didn't see anything with a name closer to "Baniowski." Apparently there are no town names at all that begin with "Ban" http://lithuaniangenealogy.org/static_d ... ements.php

Be aware also that illiterate people sometimes confuse B with P as they sound similar, especially at the beginning of a word.

There is a subdistrict of Vilnius that's named Deltuva. Sometimes people lived in or near the town or subdistrict after which they were named, but not always. If I were you I'd be betting on someplace near Liudvinavas since both surnames could be found there.

This page is a great resource for figuring out real names and where they originated: http://pavardes.lki.lt/ Use Google Translate and do a little experimentation to figure out how it works.

Also, type a surname into Facebook to find people with that name. Lithuania is a small country, and many people have left the rural areas in favor of cities, but if you check each person with the name you may find some from the area your relatives left.

vancevisuals
vancevisuals

April 5th, 2017, 9:24 pm #3

thank you for the imput
it's been a crazy ride trying to research this and not many people left to ask in my family.

Jankauskas
Jankauskas

April 6th, 2017, 2:49 am #4

I am researching newly discovered Lithuanian heritage (I was adopted and recently discovered my birth mother's father was Lithuanian. According to the naturalization paper I've found on ancestry.com, my great grandfather (Joseph Deltuva) immigrated with his wife and children (including my grandfather) in 1911. Also, according to the paper, he was born in BANIOWSKI, LITHUANIA. I've searched and searched and cannot find any reference to that city.

Can anyone shed some light on Baniowski, Lithuania? Or does anyone know anything about the surname "Seimis" (my great grandmother's maiden name)?

Thanks for any help!

Jim
Jim, This is probably your Joseph Deltuva; Philadelphia, Pa passenger lists: Arriving on 1 Dec 1911 at the Port of Philadelphia aboard the SS Brandenburg sailing from Bremen, Germany on 16 Nov 1911: Josas Deltuwa b. abt 1892, occupation: Tailor, father: Antanas Deltuwa. Born in "Penkwiski, Suwalki", Lithuania. It is difficult to read his final destination in the US. Ancestry.com has him indexed as "Tosas Deltnwa". The spelling of his birth town is slightly different that what you posted. It may be Ponkiskiai (small town in Lithuania). Best regards, Carl J

Jim Tapley
Jim Tapley

April 6th, 2017, 12:58 pm #5

Those details definitely match the naturalization paper I got from ancestry. I've never been able to get past Joseph! Thank you so much for your help and this new information!