Tezz-Winnie
Tezz-Winnie

January 17th, 2013, 11:08 pm #11

$900 bucks seems like a good price as long as you get a decent collector. Tuned length steam pipe makes all the difference to spool times :)

Im an electronics eng (ADNG) and I do 99% of the work on my car. Started out with a cheap celica that I ran into the ground and made some mistakes on but ill never make them again! Its all about having a go, getting the right tools and asking the right questions.

If I was to change the exhaust gasket I would start by removing my O2 sensor from dump pipe, unbolt dump pipe, remove oil lines and tie up the oil feed to prevent oil spilling everywhere, remove intake piping from turbo, remove water lines if you have them and tie them up somewhere high, unbolt turbo from manifold unbolt manifold from head (engine) replace gasket and assemble in reverse order replacing every gasket along the way including banjo crush washers unless they are copper then you can just anneal them (rookie mistake)... Done and you just saved yourself $300 bucks labour.

Maccabro
Body-Kitted
Maccabro
Body-Kitted

January 18th, 2013, 7:05 am #12

Tezz-Winnie,Jan 18 2013 wrote: "All gud bru will be dun wen I finish watchin da rugby and scull a few rum and coke's then ill fix her up with a bit of glue and shit"

Sorry couldn't resist. Im far from racist just a smart arse :)
friendly banter id call it :D
altezza 3sge + apexi ax53b60 turbo kit + cwest body kit/ bonnet + modelista angel eye HID head lights +18" enkei NT03 + zeal adjusties + ........................more!

Maccabro
Body-Kitted
Maccabro
Body-Kitted

January 18th, 2013, 7:10 am #13

MordredNZ,Jan 18 2013 wrote: Thanks for the replies guys,  Its good to know.  I have taken it into an exhaust place and they don't think it is a crack as it's not in any of the usual places, but seem to think maybe something to do with the gasket or perhaps one of the studs has stretched or broken causing the manifold to leak only while it's cold and seems to sound OK while it's hot.  Problem being is that to get at it, the turbo has to be taken off to do it which makes the labour costs shoot up quite a bit....  bummer.  Sometimes I wish I knew what I was doing with this stuff, then I could look at it myself.  But, I chose IT as a career....

There is an exhaust manifold fabricator in Palmerston North too that makes them out of steam pipe for race cars, stock cars and the like.  he rekons around $900 for a new manifold if I need to go down that road.

If it is cracked, I will flick you a message Maccabro about your mate if you don't mind.

Cheers guys
yeah mate, no problem, pm me if so. i could posibly help you with pulling your turbo off etc if needed. its a simple job, and i have a special spanner made to get to the [f**k]en prick of a nut underneith the down pipe where it bolts onto the turbo.

if its just a gasket well then thats a easy fix.
Last edited by Maccabro on January 18th, 2013, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
altezza 3sge + apexi ax53b60 turbo kit + cwest body kit/ bonnet + modelista angel eye HID head lights +18" enkei NT03 + zeal adjusties + ........................more!

tezznu
Lowered
tezznu
Lowered

January 18th, 2013, 5:46 pm #14

i build my own manifolds im a light fabricator hears one i built 6months ago for my 3sgte conversion its got a full merge collector steam pipe runners and its all within 3mm of being equal length i also made oval to circle trasitions were it comes out the head hears some pics

i plan on building them if you guys one hear are keen...
3sgte transpant for the win!

Pnut
Drifter
Pnut
Drifter

January 18th, 2013, 8:38 pm #15

Im a mechanical engineer, admitedly I have not done a lot of fabrication particularly in recent years, but i do know enough to say if you can measure a fabrication like that with all those sections of pipe and welds within 3mm you are doing bloody well! :D
Goldmember - 2001 Altezza Gita JCE10

Maccabro
Body-Kitted
Maccabro
Body-Kitted

January 18th, 2013, 11:44 pm #16

tezznu,Jan 19 2013 wrote: i build my own manifolds im a light fabricator hears one i built 6months ago for my 3sgte conversion its got a full merge collector steam pipe runners and its all within 3mm of being equal length i also made oval to circle trasitions were it comes out the head hears some pics

beautiful mate. i admire good engineering!

MordredNZ
Stock

January 19th, 2013, 5:05 am #17

tezznu,Jan 19 2013 wrote: i build my own manifolds im a light fabricator hears one i built 6months ago for my 3sgte conversion its got a full merge collector steam pipe runners and its all within 3mm of being equal length i also made oval to circle trasitions were it comes out the head hears some pics

{IMAGES}
{IMAGES}

That looks really nice bro, awesome job!

Maccabro
Body-Kitted
Maccabro
Body-Kitted

February 2nd, 2013, 8:49 pm #18

Tezz-Winnie,Jan 17 2013 wrote: Have you seen it? Takes a hell of alot to crack a cast manifold and if that is the case Its probably not an Apexi item.
and the diagnosis is........ a cracked manifold!

Toyboy_@lTezza
Soccer Mom
Toyboy_@lTezza
Soccer Mom

August 4th, 2018, 9:28 am #19

Bought a cracked greddy manifold thinking it's okay... Where can I buy a new manifold or one made up? I'm in Christchurch

roderick92
Sleeper

September 16th, 2018, 6:19 pm #20

Toyboy_@lTezza wrote:Bought a cracked greddy manifold thinking it's okay... Where can I buy a new manifold or one made up? I'm in Christchurch
Very old thread being bumped... Suggest contacting fabricators like sinco.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

02' SXE10-Z
My Build Thread ----> Here
Support my photography page! ----> Down Loaded