Alfa Busso V6 Swap

PlatinumGroot
Soccer Mom
PlatinumGroot
Soccer Mom

May 7th, 2018, 11:10 am #1

After much thought I've decided that an Alfa Romeo Busso V6 is the engine I will fit to my IS200 .
The 3 liter 24 valve V6 .
I can almost hear the howls of derision !!
90.3 mm bore and 72 mm stroke so over square
Before anybody suggests ANYTHING ELSE one of the requirements of the replacement engine is that it MUST be all alloy and lighter than the 1G .
The Busso is all alloy and 6 Kg lighter .
Also before anybody gets on the HP wagon be aware that a stock 1G-FE makes 153 HP and the Busso will be around 250 HP which is more than enough for me , my other serious option was to put a Merc supercharger on the 1G .
$$$$$ was the next consideration , my car is the second car and essentially my go to work and back car so budget is VERY limited , if I buy a whole Alfa GTV take the bits I want and then wreck it I will get most of the purchase price back which equals cost of engine , loom and ECU will be very low if not zero !!
Another cost factor is that very shortly I will be up for a new SMF , clutch pressure plate and clutch plate at a cost of $1400.00 , that is now money I will not have to spend .I also have access to a spare IS200 chassis so can fit up the engine and then do a swap over...most convenient !!
Will be mating it to a standard J160 box so no extra cost for custom drive shafts and such like .
Not only is the Busso a rather pretty engine it also is a 120 degree V6 meaning no shared crank pins , it has 6 throws on the crank , one for each piston and is one of the reasons for the glorious sound that they are known for .
Engine reliability is good , nice wide timing belt so it does not suffer from timing belt probs like the 4 cylinder Alfa engine , plenum can be turned around and switched to the other side easily so that throttle body is facing forwards and will do a cut and shut with the two manual bell housings for the adaptor .
But the main point is that it will be a little bit different than anything else , do not want a 90 degree V8 a 60 degree V6 is much easier to fit and certainly do not want a 2J , that has been done to death .
I have almost got the slush fund to the point of being able to buy a GTV , just have to wait for the " right " deal to come along !!

greeneyes
Targa Master
greeneyes
Targa Master

May 8th, 2018, 8:20 am #2

Love it! I'm never afraid to mix makes, every manufacturer has their own good points.. although having owned an Alfa I'm struggling to remember them!

I like the idea of the Alfetta rear transaxle in a KE70 rally car, one day I'll get around to it.

How is the gearbox adapter design coming along?? That will be the major problem to solve, generally engine mounts and inlet/exhaust fabrication is pretty easy.

PlatinumGroot
Soccer Mom
PlatinumGroot
Soccer Mom

May 15th, 2018, 6:03 am #3

Yes correct , engine mounts and exhaust are relatively easy .
Will buy a GTV as they are manual so I will use enough of the GTV bellhousing that I retain the clutch fork so that all the clutch stuff stays stock .
I have done several adapters using this method so do not anticipate any real hassles , even if I have to extend the spigot shaft a bit that's not really a prob either .
Since this post have actually obtained an IS200 rolling chassis so the process has already started !!

Stephen
Targa Master
Stephen
Targa Master

May 15th, 2018, 8:16 am #4

Very interesting. Good to be different and try something new :woot:

May 17th, 2018, 2:26 pm #5

This will be different to say the least! Keep it updated please!