Advice on replacement clutch & flywheel

Linzo
Soccer Mom
Linzo
Soccer Mom

August 22nd, 2018, 4:00 am #1

Hey guys,

I would like to ask your advice on replacement flywheel and clutch for 3S-GE Altezza (RS200).
The car is completely stock, and has done 128000km. I am starting to get some serious rattling sounds from the clutch when disengaged at startup, and a mechanic has advised that the clutch needs replacement.
So I am planning on replacing the factory dual-mass flywheel with a single mass.

I have been recommended a ClutchPro flywheel and heavy duty clutch (for about AUD $1150)
Before I make a final decision I was wondering if anyone here has used ClutchPro before, and if there are any issues with them?
Would an Exedy clutch be better, or are all clutches pretty much the same? (When searching on Ebay, Exedy is the brand that pops up the most...)
Any other recommendations or advice?
I am located in Sydney.

Thanks for your advice guys.

greeneyes
Targa Master
greeneyes
Targa Master

August 23rd, 2018, 8:16 am #2

The j160 gearbox is famous for its input shaft rattle when sitting there idling, so it is likely not the clutch but the gearbox. It generally gets ignored...

Exedy make clutches under many names for many manufacturers, probably the biggest clutch manufacturer in the world. Clutchpro I don't know about.

We are talking about replacing Greeneye's TRD clutch as its always been shuddery when cold & my wife reckons its got worse over the 15years. Its just something you learn to let out neatly, and fine when warmed up. However if I do replace it I'll get a soft clutch out of a Cressida or Crown, a lot cheaper without "Altezza" written on it

Toyota used the same clutch in many models, Cressida 5M, ($87 for a kit!!) Soarer 1G, Supra 1G, 22RE utes, 3YE vans and others. Getting a flywheel will be harder, you might end up at Exedy for that.

As far as I know the Altezza is 225mmx21toothx29.8 shaft. Don't get the MR2 3SGE clutch which is 225x20x26.9

Linzo
Soccer Mom
Linzo
Soccer Mom

August 24th, 2018, 3:40 am #3

Thanks Greeneyes!

Good to know about the same clutch being used in many other models, for a much reduced price ;)

I have seen several other posts here and this rattling does appear to be a fairly common issue.
I have not experienced any issues at all with the clutch, so will investigate further to see if I really need to replace it.

Cheers,
Linz