Games You Don't Like That Everyone Else Does

March 29th, 2017, 5:59 pm #1

I'm sure we all have a game that a lot of people really like, but you just can't enjoy it. Go ahead and talk about said games, but try not to get too hateful about it.

For me, Phantasy Star 1, for the Sega Master System. I hear a lot of people talk about this game as an old-school classic jRPG along the lines of Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, but I think Phantasy Star falls flat. I've acquired a fair few party members, but there's no strategy to the fights. It's just attacking and healing, and...that's it. There's very little variety in what you can do, and the inability to target enemies makes battles even more boring. The visual techniques used are nice, especially when going through dungeons, but that's really all the praise I have for this game.
Click the Photos for my Let's Play & Streams!
Follow for updates and stream announcements!

March 29th, 2017, 9:44 pm #2

MOBAs such as League of Legends or DOTA. I'm mostly upset that they killed the RTS genre, and replaced it with a dumb-downed battle arena thing. I want my basebuilding back. #IMissCommandAndConquer

March 29th, 2017, 10:21 pm #3

- Any competitive shooter multiplayer game

- Most AAA titles released. (Exceptions: Deus Ex, Dark Souls, maybe a few others)

- Kingdom Hearts series: I think the infusion of Disney with RPG is stupid.

Oh that's a good start I would say. >:)

March 29th, 2017, 11:24 pm #4

Blattymeow wrote:- Kingdom Hearts series: I think the infusion of Disney with RPG is stupid.
Even though KH is one of my favorite games of all time (I used it for my first ever LP series, after all), I actually agree with you. Fighting your favorite Disney villains is a great idea, but the novelty wore off by the second game. And that's all it is, really: novelty: You play pretty much through the highlights real of Disney's best movies, so you don't get to know the characters like you do in the movies, you don't see the conflict get set up, you're just thrown right into the middle of everything and BOOM BOOM BOOM, the end! For an RPG, that's a serious problem because the story is half the reason you're there. Add to that the fact that your partners through the whole thing are Donald and Goofy, and it gets really hard to take things seriously-- and they obviously want you to take things very seriously. The overarching plot has more in common with Final Fantasy than it does Disney, and... yeah, once I grew up and played more mature themed games, KH lost a lot of its appeal for me. I still love it, but that's mostly for nostalgia and the awesome real time combat (Donald and Goofy or no Donald and Goofy, the combat is still some of the best you'll ever find in an RPG).

For me, personally, my pick would be The Witcher 3. I got it because everyone was saying it was so good it was practically a religious experience. I don't usually like open world games, though, and TW3 proved to be no different. Everyone said the combat was amazing, but I found it to be mediocre (Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning did it better), and while the side quests were surprisingly deep they weren't able to hold my attention. The biggest draw of the game was "ZOMGLOOKHOWBIGDAWORLDISSSS", and I'll take a tightly made game with a good story over huge empty map any day.

Also, Overwatch. But I kind of expected that. I suck at online shooters. I suck hard.
Last edited by ThisAdamGuy on March 29th, 2017, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 30th, 2017, 3:21 am #5

Diablo franchise, don't get me wrong they are fun in small bursts and I do like the lore for the world but that is also its problem, I want to see more of the world not just the whirlwind tour of locations we see in the games. I also feel that the class progression is to linear, especially after seeing what Titan quest did for class building.

Halo: Never saw what made it so grate, story never gripped me and the gameplay never seemed as good as everyone made it out to be.

March 30th, 2017, 5:02 am #6

The witcher series. Something about it I just cannot get into for the life of me. As Adam said it's likely because the world is so big and I get overwhelmed.

Dragons Dogma. As much as I HATE to admit it I love the combat system but about 3 hours into the game I always get so bored. Why? Because there's no fast travel. Now don't get me wrong I understand games have been holding my hand when it comes to travelling. But I feel like Dragons Dogma took it a bit too far. Sometimes you're expected to go back and forth so often and it becomes tedious. As far as I know there IS a way to fast travel, but it's a single use item that has limited quantities.

Call of Duty (Pretty self explanatory.)

March 30th, 2017, 7:52 am #7

CaptainBarnaby198 wrote:Dragons Dogma. As much as I HATE to admit it I love the combat system but about 3 hours into the game I always get so bored. Why? Because there's no fast travel. Now don't get me wrong I understand games have been holding my hand when it comes to travelling. But I feel like Dragons Dogma took it a bit too far. Sometimes you're expected to go back and forth so often and it becomes tedious. As far as I know there IS a way to fast travel, but it's a single use item that has limited quantities.
You're pretty much right there. You can pick up more fast travel items, but not until really late in the game.

I've never gotten on with Kingdom Hearts. I picked up the first one on the PS2, played it for about 6 hours, and just couldn't gel with it. I've not gone back to the series since, although with the updated remakes I'm tempted to give them another go down the line.
wrote:MOBAs such as League of Legends or DOTA. I'm mostly upset that they killed the RTS genre, and replaced it with a dumb-downed battle arena thing. I want my basebuilding back. #IMissCommandAndConquer
Yep, same. I can't stand MOBAs, but I go back to Red Alert 2, Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander on a regular basis. Love 'em.

Final one for me is most MMOs. I've tried WoW, I've tried EVE, I've tried City of Heroes, but none of them have stuck for me. I'm mostly a solo gamer (with a few exceptions) so that might be why.

March 30th, 2017, 11:33 am #8

Oh what I a fun thread!

Glad to see I didn't get burned at the stake about Kingdom Hearts as I was being serious. Adam, I am glad you can be open enough to understand the other viewpoint even though you are doing a LP of the game! That's one of my main problems, I don't want my primary sidekicks to be Goofy and Donald...jesus that just sounds absurd and dumb! I also do not need more Disney novelty...if I want that I will watch a movie!

I LOVE the Witcher and Witcher 2, but I can't get into the third game. I think part of the reason is that the world is so large that I feel overwhelmed when I try to load my game (3 hours since release date.) I think I will play it one day and I think I will enjoy it but I can certainly understand why others do not.

Still waiting for some Dark Souls disliking!

March 30th, 2017, 12:49 pm #9

Blattymeow wrote:- Kingdom Hearts series: I think the infusion of Disney with RPG is stupid.
Like Adam, I agree. I think it's pretty stupid as well, and I don't believe it's well-executed with a few exceptions. I think Kingdom Hearts's overarching story is a bunch of interesting ideas that aren't executed too well, with the exception of Chain of Memories. I really play Kingdom Hearts more for the gameplay. Neither KH1 or KH2 have perfect gameplay, but they both have a ton of elements that I really enjoy. I've been playing KH almost non-stop ever since I picked up 1.5 in 2014, and it's not because of Disney.
Click the Photos for my Let's Play & Streams!
Follow for updates and stream announcements!

March 30th, 2017, 12:51 pm #10

Blattymeow wrote:Still waiting for some Dark Souls disliking!
A couple of years ago I would've been right there, I played the first one and couldn't get on with it.

Then I tried again about 5 years later as part of clearing my backlog, and fell in love with the series...