Star Wars Solo

June 28th, 2018, 12:16 am #1

Anyone see this?  It comes out this week in Japan which is very odd because I think up until now all previous Star Wars releases have been on the same day.  Seems like there's no hype at all for this movie and very few seem to talk about it.  I have watched every Star Wars movie up until now so I should watch Solo, but what did people here think about it?

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

June 28th, 2018, 3:12 am #2

I enjoyed it... it was a fun ride.
It's essentially a heist movie in the Star Wars universe and Han's Origin story.  How he met Chewy and Lando.
Not to mention Kira... who's pretty bad ass overall.

Emilia Clark does a great job as Kira, as does the guy that plays Han.
But Donald Glover as Lando is something else.  The first time I heard his voice in the movie he was off screen and I swore I was listening to Billy Dee Williams.  The voice, his mannerisms... he nailed them all.

I'm certainly not sorry I saw it.  It was fun.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

June 28th, 2018, 11:16 am #3

The movie that 'killed' Star Wars spin-offs, lol. 

Will probably watch it when its available at home.

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

June 28th, 2018, 12:31 pm #4

bork wrote: The movie that 'killed' Star Wars spin-offs, lol. 

Will probably watch it when its available at home.
It did... but not b/c of the quality of the movie IMO.
The movie was good... not great... but it was worth watching.
The press with the change in directors was a red flag for some people.  For me... hearing Ron Howard was taking over actually made me more excited about it.  And in reality... the subject matter... I really don't think these character focused movies are ever going to pull in as much as a numbered star wars film or even Rogue One... which was awesome.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

June 28th, 2018, 12:47 pm #5

The change in directors had nothing to do with it bombing.  Nor did some of the odd SJW-like choices, depsite what fanboys want to believe.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/ ... -news.aspx

I think interest in it was just lower than other movies is all.  I'm actually glad that they're putting spin-offs on hold.  Concentrate on making the regular Star Wars movies and stop trying to make this a yearly thing.  It's overkill for this brand.  Further proof:

https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-pod ... box-office
So let me explain why Solo bombed.

It’s the fourth Star Wars film to be released since 2015. The first, The Force Awakens, marked the return of the franchise to movie theaters a decade after the ghastly Revenge of the Sith. So everybody had to see it, and everybody did. The Force Awakens sold about 110 million tickets in the United States, the most since Titanic in 1997. The following year saw the release of Rogue One—which told a story ancillary to the central Star Wars plot. The audience fell off dramatically; Rogue One grossed about $400 million less domestically than The Force Awakens. Much of that dropoff was glibly assigned to the fact that it wasn’t a direct sequel. Then the direct sequel, The Last Jedi, came out late last year. It made $90 million more domestically than Rogue One—but $300 million less than The Force Awakens. Now Solo will be lucky to make half what Rogue One made.
Interest is waning.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

June 28th, 2018, 12:53 pm #6

BTW I watched Logan Lucky last weekend.  Awesome movie that is basically "Redneck Ocean's 11" (literally- same director as Ocean's 11 and was written by his wife...they even get called "Ocean's 7-11" at one point in the film, lmao) and I mention this here because Adam Driver is in it and he was great.  Whereas I watch him in Star Wars movies and it's just like...nope.

Svejk
Czech Yourself
Svejk
Czech Yourself

June 28th, 2018, 12:54 pm #7

I wanted to enjoy Rogue One... and it was a quality, well made movie.... but the elephant in the room...  YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!  The surprise, plot twist from the OG trilogy is long, long gone... in a galaxy far, far away.  

Now that they've pretty much confirmed a Boba Fett movie (ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ), they're just beating a dead horse.  Please make something original!  Hell, the Rebels cartoon has more original content than the spin-off movies.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

June 28th, 2018, 2:00 pm #8

Svejk wrote: I wanted to enjoy Rogue One... and it was a quality, well made movie.... but the elephant in the room...  YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!  The surprise, plot twist from the OG trilogy is long, long gone... in a galaxy far, far away.  
LOLWUT

It being a prequel shouldn't ruin anything.  What are you talking about dude?  That movie had a better cast of characters than most other Star Wars movies.  Sucks they all got killed off.  That sarcastic robot shat all over C3PO.

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

June 28th, 2018, 2:08 pm #9

bork wrote:The change in directors had nothing to do with it bombing.  Nor did some of the odd SJW-like choices, depsite what fanboys want to believe.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/ ... -news.aspx
This is an opinion piece dude.
But even still... he mentioned what I was alluding to...
While most analysts have blamed an uninspiring script and chaotic filming process for the box office bomb,
The change in director was part of that... and I thought was the cause of it... though I am not 100% sure of that.
bork wrote:I think interest in it was just lower than other movies is all.  I'm actually glad that they're putting spin-offs on hold.  Concentrate on making the regular Star Wars movies and stop trying to make this a yearly thing.  It's overkill for this brand.  Further proof:

https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-pod ... box-office
So let me explain why Solo bombed.

It’s the fourth Star Wars film to be released since 2015. The first, The Force Awakens, marked the return of the franchise to movie theaters a decade after the ghastly Revenge of the Sith. So everybody had to see it, and everybody did. The Force Awakens sold about 110 million tickets in the United States, the most since Titanic in 1997. The following year saw the release of Rogue One—which told a story ancillary to the central Star Wars plot. The audience fell off dramatically; Rogue One grossed about $400 million less domestically than The Force Awakens. Much of that dropoff was glibly assigned to the fact that it wasn’t a direct sequel. Then the direct sequel, The Last Jedi, came out late last year. It made $90 million more domestically than Rogue One—but $300 million less than The Force Awakens. Now Solo will be lucky to make half what Rogue One made.
Interest is waning.
Also an opinion piece.
But yeah... I don't disagree... they are over-saturating.  I'm happy about the hold on the one-of movies.

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

June 28th, 2018, 2:23 pm #10

bork wrote:
Svejk wrote: I wanted to enjoy Rogue One... and it was a quality, well made movie.... but the elephant in the room...  YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!  The surprise, plot twist from the OG trilogy is long, long gone... in a galaxy far, far away.  
LOLWUT

It being a prequel shouldn't ruin anything.  What are you talking about dude?  That movie had a better cast of characters than most other Star Wars movies.  Sucks they all got killed off.  That sarcastic robot shat all over C3PO.
Agreed... I liked Rogue One a lot.