Ready Player One

Everything not relating to gaming goes here.

Ready Player One

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

March 31st, 2018, 6:32 pm #1

Just saw it and enjoyed it!  It was good, stupid fun.  Like watching a cartoon (since so much of it is CG) filled with mostly-nerdy pop culture references from the 70s up through today.  I didn't read the book (and don't particularly want to after seeing some snippets from it) but it looks like the script changed things up for some characters and the ending...for the better.

Something else I gotta point out was the audience.  This was neckbeard central.  One dude next to us kept talking to his friend about video games right up until the trailers started and then would just mark the fuck out anytime a video game reference popped up on the screen.  😆

Off the top of my head, there was stuff from Akira, Batman, Back To The Future, Knight Rider, Borderlands, Halo, Monty Python, Star Wars, Star Trek, Michael Jackson, Prince, Street Fighter, Overwatch, lots of Atari stuff, Gundam, The Iron Giant, Godzilla, and more.  That song I posted before in the other thread making fun of it was right on the money, lol.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

March 31st, 2018, 6:38 pm #2

Now spoiler talk:
[+] spoiler
-OK, so I get that all the references are because of the author.  But in terms of the story, I don't understand why any of the teenagers playing in the Oasis would know and/or care about shit from decades before they were born.

-That goes double for the music.  So much stuff from the 80s.  Really?  That's the stuff the kids are into?  LOL.

-The worst part of the movie is when Wade's aunt and her shitty boyfriend get blown up.  He seems mildly upset that she's dead for about 30 seconds.  Felt like something was missing there.  Is it because she didn't treat him well?  Dunno because it only gets mentioned like once before the movie ends.

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

April 2nd, 2018, 7:56 pm #3

I saw this movie too, I LOVED IT!!!  But of course, I'm probably biased because I love video games and this is a movie for gamers and could relate to a lot of the what happened in the movie.

The best part of this movie is the world of Oasis.  I felt the same way when I saw the movie Avatar.  I want to live in the Oasis, it is SOOO COOL!  And I could see this happening in the future.  The action scenes are incredible and the CG is just as awesome!  Love it!

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

April 3rd, 2018, 12:38 am #4

Leguna wrote: I want to live in the Oasis, it is SOOO COOL! 
Way to miss the message that the movie very clearly states several times throughout and again at the end, lol.

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

April 3rd, 2018, 7:55 pm #5

bork wrote:
Way to miss the message that the movie very clearly states several times throughout and again at the end, lol.
The point of the movie is about saving the Oasis from corporate bastards and then they throw in, 'live a balanced life' lol.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

April 4th, 2018, 12:30 am #6

Leguna wrote:
bork wrote:
The point of the movie is about saving the Oasis from corporate bastards and then they throw in, 'live a balanced life' lol.
There is a clear message throughout the film about how spending all your time gaming is bad and that "real life is worth living," particularly in regards to having real-world relationships.  It's all over the place, bruh.  That's what all the subplot stuff with the Oasis creator is really about.  I don't think the book is the same way since the two main characters don't actually meet in real life until the last page.

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

April 5th, 2018, 12:28 pm #7

bork wrote:
Leguna wrote:
bork wrote:

There is a clear message throughout the film about how spending all your time gaming is bad and that "real life is worth living," particularly in regards to having real-world relationships.  It's all over the place, bruh.  That's what all the subplot stuff with the Oasis creator is really about.  I don't think the book is the same way since the two main characters don't actually meet in real life until the last page.
I actually disagree with the message of the movie.  I don't understand why people think that socializing in games and virtual worlds doesn't count.  Its real people either way.  Some people might prefer the virtual world over the real world, that's fine so long as they pay their bills and keep healthy in the real world (kinda have to).

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

April 5th, 2018, 12:37 pm #8

If you're addicted to living in a virtual world...you're not healthy.  Look at the state of the world presented in the film.  People living in squalor in these tiny trailer-sized homes that are stacked on top of each other and no effort is being made to improve living conditions because people are spending all their time online. 

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

April 5th, 2018, 12:57 pm #9

bork wrote: If you're addicted to living in a virtual world...you're not healthy.  Look at the state of the world presented in the film.  People living in squalor in these tiny trailer-sized homes that are stacked on top of each other and no effort is being made to improve living conditions because people are spending all their time online. 
I already am addicted to a virtual world, its called video games.  I think it is a very healthy thing to have a life passion hobby.  Its only bad when it negatively affects the person in some way.  How are video games negatively affecting me?  You?  Anyone?  If it is, then yes, they need to create more balance which is what I think the movie was truly trying to say.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

April 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm #10

Leguna wrote:I already am addicted to a virtual world, its called video games.
Nah, you're not an addict.  It doesn't control your life and isn't stopping you from doing other things.

Leguna wrote:I think it is a very healthy thing to have a life passion hobby.  Its only bad when it negatively affects the person in some way.  How are video games negatively affecting me?  You?  Anyone?  If it is, then yes, they need to create more balance which is what I think the movie was truly trying to say.
Right...they are talking about the people being addicted to it.  We're not addicted to video games.  It is healthy to have a hobby.  Having a hobby and being hopelessly addicted to something are two different things.