Microsoft Surface Go (Fuck Yourself)

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

July 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm #1

Any thoughts on this latest announcement?  I don't think it's going to sell very well.  I like the smaller size and it supposedly being much lighter, but I just don't see this being something that people really care about.

They're doing the whole "ONLY $399!!!!" spiel, but what you're getting for that price is:

Windows 10 in S mode
eMMC drive: 64GB
Intel® Pentium® Gold Processor 4415Y (a dual-core Kaby Lake chip that is almost two years old and worse than the Core M series..WTF)
4GB Of RAM
Intel HD Graphics 615
1800 x 1200 (217 PPI) resolution

And that's without the Surface cover, which is another $99.  If you want an actual SSD and a better 8GB of RAM, the price goes up to $549 and it's still got the same processor. 

I don't need another tablet, but I'd actually be interested in this if the price were $100 cheaper for the base model...with the cover.  But if you really want to get a longer-lasting and more usable version of this thing, you're gonna hit like $650 and that's approaching Surface Pro prices (which nets you a better processor and higher screen resolution) so I don't get it.  I would have rather seen this thing release with a lower screen resolution if that would have helped with the price.

I'd rather just get a GPD Pocket since it's way more portable (or in my case, the GPD WIN 2 is what I'm using, since it's made with gaming in mind and has a more powerful Core M3 processor) than any tablet or would just buy a much cheaper Chromebook.

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

July 12th, 2018, 1:22 pm #2

Yeah no thanks... doesn't seem worth it to me.
But none of Microsoft's hardware has lately

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

July 12th, 2018, 1:29 pm #3

I think they make some really solid hardware, but they really need to work on getting their prices down.   In the end for me with tablets, I just want something for reading and comics...and you can't beat a sub-$100 Fire HD tablet for that price.

Really if I weren't all about dat gaming, a Surface Pro and a dock would be all I'd need- The Pro I had before was nice n' speedy and could handle everything outside gaming like a champ (and what it could handle for gaming wasn't bad either).

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

July 12th, 2018, 6:35 pm #4

Yeah I'm probably picking up a Fire HD or something for the kiddos soon.  We're going on vacation and it'll be a nice distraction for the 5 hour flight over there.
We also get another Switch. *sigh*

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

July 12th, 2018, 7:10 pm #5

If you don't care about the kids' versions, you can get 8GB Fire HD 7" tablets for like $49 each from them.  They take micro SD for expanded storage and it's super-easy to put Google Play services on them, no rooting needed, remove any of the ads and all that crap, plus let you install all the apps that they don't offer on their own store.

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

July 13th, 2018, 11:13 am #6

I think this a great starter computer for my son.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

July 13th, 2018, 11:32 am #7

Leguna wrote: I think this a great starter computer for my son.
You can pay the same amount of money and get something much better for him. 

manngc
He Da Mann
manngc
He Da Mann

July 13th, 2018, 12:48 pm #8

Once my Nexus 2013 kicks the bucket I'll likely pick up for Fire HD tablet to replace it for my youngest boy.  That thing is still kicking 5 years later.  Had to download software to fix the wifi drain it had.  But since then its been hanging in there like a champ.  I may even pick up a second Fire HD for my little girl.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

July 14th, 2018, 8:20 pm #9

Just realized-  Pentium Gold, baby!

July 16th, 2018, 1:19 am #10

Yeah the surface computers are great but they're essentially useless unless you spring for higher-end models and it gets expensive really fast.  Even with iPad even if you buy the cheapest one you're still getting a solid tablet that'll last you for awhile.

I have the Amazon Fire HD8 tablet and like it quite a bit but it is very limited on what you can do.