Everything not relating to gaming goes here.
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

July 16th, 2018, 11:56 am #11

This particular model is smaller, sure, but apart from that is using old tech and doesn't have an SSD unless you spring for the more expensive model.  You can't do squat to upgrade these things and Microsoft won't even service them- out of warranty?  Too bad; pay hundreds of dollars and get a replacement.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

August 2nd, 2018, 2:13 pm #12

Dave does good reviews.  He likes the Go, but says that the $400 base model isn't worth it and you'd want to get the $550 ($650+ with the keyboard cover) model instead.  My thing is, for that price...I think you can do better.

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

August 3rd, 2018, 12:33 pm #13

I love the Surface Go!  I could see myself buying this for my son.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

August 3rd, 2018, 12:37 pm #14

Yes, you posted that already. 🙃

If you want to get him a neat little PC toy to play with, get him a GPD Pocket.  Smaller than a Surface and is still a full-on PC.  Good size for a kid!

You can get the original model for like $500-something off Amazon.  A newer model is coming probably by the end of the year or sometime earlier next year.

If it were me, I'd get my kid a desktop though.  If for no other reason then he/she could happily bang away on or destroy the peripherals and it would be easy to replace them versus breaking a laptop screen or keyboard.  :)   At least the Surface Go has a replaceable type cover...albeit an expensive one.

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

August 5th, 2018, 4:53 am #15

Too small.  I don't like gaming on PC.  Any smaller than Surface Go, is too small.  Surface Go is almost too small.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

August 5th, 2018, 3:26 pm #16

1. It's not too small for what it's made for. 
2. Who is talking about gaming?  When I said "a neat little PC toy to play with," I didn't mean playing games, lol.  Figure of speech.
3. As always with any PC...you can plug it up to a monitor/TV if you don't need on-the-go use.

Which is why I'd get my kid a desktop.  I see no reason for a little kid to need a laptop in any form.  Spend less and get a desktop to start with that will last longer.

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

August 6th, 2018, 12:07 pm #17

I got my kid a Kano.
It's essentially a Raspberry Pi with some kid friendly programs preloaded on it.
It's worked well for us so far.  He doesn't need anymore than that at this point.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

August 6th, 2018, 12:53 pm #18

Shino wrote: I got my kid a Kano.
It's essentially a Raspberry Pi with some kid friendly programs preloaded on it.
It's worked well for us so far.  He doesn't need anymore than that at this point.
Dunno...sounds kinda violent.

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

August 6th, 2018, 1:03 pm #19

Nah...

manngc
He Da Mann
manngc
He Da Mann

August 6th, 2018, 1:19 pm #20

Shino wrote: I got my kid a Kano.
What does it do and how much does it cost?  

Edit: $150...More than a low grade tablet.  I don't know how the kids would react to that.  Hmm, something to consider.