manngc
He Da Mann
manngc
He Da Mann

January 23rd, 2018, 12:58 pm #21

Dos Locos Tacos wrote: Sounds like...

...The evolution of video game graphics.

Usually when one does such an undertaking, a lot of research, interviews, and the like are done.  You seem to be speeding through this...how are you doing this given that said 'evolution' spans from the 1950s through today?
Easy, start with the 80's and only focus on what is familiar to the author.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

January 23rd, 2018, 1:25 pm #22

That seems pretty narrow-minded and would be leaving a ton of things out.

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

January 23rd, 2018, 2:46 pm #23

Dos Locos Tacos wrote: Sounds like...

...The evolution of video game graphics.

Usually when one does such an undertaking, a lot of research, interviews, and the like are done.  You seem to be speeding through this...how are you doing this given that said 'evolution' spans from the 1950s through today?
There's this thing called the 'internet' where I do my research.  I do not start in the 1950s, I start at the 1970s and acknowledge in the book that Pong was not the first video game.

krae_man
Gripshift Back
krae_man
Gripshift Back

January 23rd, 2018, 3:47 pm #24

Are you planning on publishing your first draft completely unedited/proofread/rewritten?

Your contracted timeline will not result in quality.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

January 23rd, 2018, 7:00 pm #25

Leguna wrote:
There's this thing called the 'internet' where I do my research. 
The same 'internet' where you get your "research" and retirement advice from Youtube videos?  That 'internet'?

Do you even know how to cite sources properly?  Do you have an editor?  Have you checked into copyright?   Another Leguna production incoming.🤑

Leguna wrote:I do not start in the 1950s, I start at the 1970s and acknowledge in the book that Pong was not the first video game.

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

January 24th, 2018, 2:46 am #26

krae_man wrote: Are you planning on publishing your first draft completely unedited/proofread/rewritten?

Your contracted timeline will not result in quality.
STEP 1: Finish the book.  (currently on this step)

STEP 2: Print out many different versions of the book to find the best physical size, paper type, etc.

STEP 3: Peer review.  Anyone here that wants a free book can have one under the conditions that you share it on your Facebook/Twitter and write me a private, honest review with tips/advice for me to make changes/corrections.  Just let me know here that you want one and then send me your address privately.  I would be honored.

STEP 4: Make the changes and finalize book and then start the process of acquiring permissions for copyright material.

STEP 5: Send final copies of my book to big publishers.  If I fail to get a publisher directly, I'll get one via a kickstarter.

STEP 6: Have publishers help me acquire copyright permissions. (I do know of published books that use copyrighted material that do NOT have permissions and say it in the book, but fall under fair use; my book definitely falls under fair use but I will still try to get permissions on everything). 

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

January 24th, 2018, 2:47 am #27

My book is now 80% complete.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

January 24th, 2018, 12:30 pm #28

You're not going to get your book published by a "big publisher."  LOL to that one, buddy.  They don't give a shit and won't take submissions from regular ol' people.  You have to get the equivalent of an agent to go to the publisher for you.  And you will have to pay for it...the agent will also take a cut of money you could make, of course.

https://www.janefriedman.com/start-here ... published/
There are three primary paths to getting published:
  1. Land a traditional publisher who will offer you a book contract. This is “the dream” or what most writers imagine when they think about getting published.
  2. Hire a service to help you publish your book. There are many types of publishing services out there, some cheap and some expensive. But the main thing they have in common is that they charge you to publish.
  3. Self-publish. This is where you act as the publisher, and hire the help you need to publish and sell your work, generally through Amazon and other major retailers.
When you said you were doing this, I thought you meant an e-book.  And even then, it can cost money.
Service packages and publishing arrangements tremendously vary, but the best services charge an upfront fee, take absolutely no rights to your work, and pass on 100% net sales to the author. They make money on charging authors for the services provided (editorial, design, marketing, and so on), not on copies sold. Such books will almost never be stocked in physical retail bookstores, although in some rare cases, it may happen. Most assisted publishing services have different packages or tiers of service, while others offer customized quotes based on the particular needs of your project.

The benefit is that you get a published book without having to figure out the details of the publishing industry or finding freelance professionals you can trust. The best and most expensive services (which can easily exceed $20,000) offer a quality experience that is comparable to working with a traditional publisher. You should avoid companies that take advantage of author inexperience and use high-pressure sales tactics, such as AuthorSolutions imprints (AuthorHouse, iUniverse, WestBow, Archway).
Did you do ANY research on this before you started?

Leguna
Site Admin
Leguna
Site Admin

January 25th, 2018, 3:57 am #29

I'm following in the footsteps of others that have successfully published books.  The publisher I'm going to be most interested in partnering with is Bitmap Books.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

January 25th, 2018, 12:28 pm #30

Leguna wrote: I'm following in the footsteps of others that have successfully published books.
That doesn't answer my question.